"Parenthood" new TV series on NBC based on the movie

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by nukevor, Mar 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

Yes, they're really tugging on the heartstrings with the Zeke dying plot line. I hope he they don't kill him, but I really just hope the show ends well, however that may be.

2. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

I was waiting for Zeke to code when they had the whole family around his bed-it just seemed too happy (man I'm jaded). What was up with Hank's obsession with Joel? And there were zero children in this episode. The babysitting industry was strained to the breaking point. Speaking of Hank: I can't listen to him talk anymore-it's torture.
    So we seem to be headed for the dreaded "birth-death" episode. We're pretty sure about the birth, but I think the showrunners are running a con on us about Zeke. I'm going with Crosby in a motorcycle accident, which they have done a nice job setting up (what with his previous injury and reckless behaviour). Yes, this is coming out of left field, but Zeke dying is just too by-the-book. Of course, no one could die, but what fun is that?

3. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

No Max this week. Where was he?

4. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

FYI, Lauren Graham is co-writing and starring in a comedy pilot for NBC where she'll play a late-night talk-show host. Hopefully, it makes it to series. And, hopefully, her character won't have any kids for a change.

5. JimW

JimW In the Process of Becoming

I thought Hank felt terribly out of place, like an outsider in this close-knit family. He was looking for any way to be helpful and fit in. He was envious of the role Joel played within the family, even while Joel was supposedly on the outskirts of the family due to the separation, but also very respectful of him as a man. It was Hank's feelings of wanting to be part of this special family that prompted him to propose, imo.

I felt pretty sure that Zeke wouldn't die that episode- and I'm 50-50 if he'll die before the series ends, but if he does, I'd bet it doesn't happen until the last or possibly the penultimate episode. I don't see Crosby or any of the other major characters dying; this show is too much about the warm and fuzzies and the tragedies don't go that deep and are able to be resolved. If Zeke does die, that's not such a deep tragedy, given his age (and refusal to alter some of his unhealthy choices).

Zeke's situation mirrors a lot of what my Dad went through. After his 1st heart attack, he still engaged in some unhealthy choices. He refused to give up some of his favorite foods (he was known to sneak out for fast food burgers just like Zeke) and even though he quit smoking cigarettes, he very quickly picked up smoking a pipe, which he justified b/c he wasn't inhaling (though it wasn't long before he began inhaling that- which was even worse than smoking cigarettes). It wasn't until his 2nd heart attack that he got serious about getting more healthy, though only after a prolonged depression. I'll be interested to see if Zeke becomes depressed, as that is a very common reaction to having life-threatening heart issues.

6. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

After suffering through this abbreviated season, I have to say I wish they would've ended it with the big supper scene at the end of last season instead. It dovetailed nicely with the opening credits and served as a nice "bookend" to the series.

This season, with the "will he die or won't he" theme running through damn near every episode, has been a sad way for this once fine series to bow out. One episode to go, and I don't think I'm particularly looking forward to the conclusion.
    :thumbsdow

Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
    zebop, agentalbert and rburly like this.
  7. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I think I watched one this year...On Demand. Just stopped caring.

8. rburly

I have to agree. I'd rather them have gone out with a nice big family dinner where (almost) everyone is happy and the family fades out with some nice Dylan music. Instead, it's heartbreak tugging at your heart strings every episode. "Who is going to die?" we all have wondered. Crap, we know Zeke is going to die. But the only question now is will he die during the last episode. Hopefully he won't die at the end of the next episode, but it looks, to me at least, that that's the plan. Will that be the end of the next episode? It'll be a hugely crappy finale if that's what they do.

Not really looking forward to the finale, but I should.

zebop and mrjinks like this.
  9. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

I agree with all of that. In a way Parenthood has turned into the show I thought it would never be, manipulative cries, killing off characters, bad writing, etc.

To be honest, I don't think Zeke had or has to die and this storyline didn't have to play out. Were they that desperate for drama or something to make the family come together? If this is what it took, the show isn't as good as I thought it was.

Everything's wrong for me this season, Kristina's whining, Crosby's sulking, the treatment of the Zeek character (it's horrid.) Add me to the list of not wanting to see the end, I feel it's going to be grim and I really don't even care anymore.

mrjinks and Myke like this.
  10. aoxomoxoa

Yeah this season blows.

zebop and Myke like this.
  11. zebop

I heard that the last episode is going to have a last part with a flash-forward to 3 years....

12. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Well it all ends tonight and I'm a bit sad to be honest. This show has certainly had it's ups and downs with a bit too much drama sometimes, as all shows do, but when Zeke drove by his old house in that last episode, to retrieve a baseball that he left hidden in the barn and then just allowing it to stay for the new kids in the house to hopefully stumble upon one day, was some damn fine "tug at your heart" TV, in my opinion!

This is just one show where I wish it would end, with the characters coming out of character and saying, "we'll miss you too". By looking at the commercial for this last episode, it appears that some of you that were hoping for a big dinner scene, with everyone happy in the end, might just get their wish?

The main producer of the show was asked in a recent interview, if he had kept anything from the show's set and he said that he has "The Luncheonette" sign hanging on his dining room wall, which I think is VERY cool ..., talk about a conversation starter!

RIP "Parenthood" and thanks for the memories!

13. rburly

I have to agree with everything you said. I've seen the tease for this last episode and, as someone mentioned, they go back 3 years I guess, which would be nice to put in. Also, at the end of that tease when Zeke asks Sarah if he's been a good dad and she says "Yes", I wish it would with that. Or something similar if necessary. I've watched the show since the beginning and will miss it also. This is one show that I don't want a "sad-heartfelt" feeling about. They should go out upbeat IMO and leave it that. I'd be satisfied and could remember the show fondly in the future when looking back at the show.

ben_wood, Chris C and zebop like this.
  14. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I thought it was damn unrealistic TV. I didn't buy Zeke leaving the box there with the idea those kids will find it and actually appreciate it or know what they've found. Plus, is he completely unaware of the financial struggles of the business his two sons are trying to run? If there is such a valuable ball there, he could have sold it to give the money to his sons for The Luncheonette or given it to them with the idea they use it for that. Or it could have been used to set up an education fund for his new great-grandson.

15. Chris C

Well, The Luncheonette was a failure and like Adam said, it could all be wrapped up nice and tidy and with money to spare, from the insurance money from the break-in, so that chapter was finished in my opinion. For Jasmine to come over and stick her nose in all of it, just to try and make her whiny a$$ husband happy, was the part that was B.S., in my opinion. I'm afraid that I will have to disagree with your vision of the baseball, as it's not always about the money. Zeke NEVER wanted to leave that house and he did it kicking and screaming, so his leaving that ball there made perfect sense to me, as it was almost a way for him to leave a part of himself there!

ben_wood and rburly like this.
  16. aoxomoxoa

If some old guy came to my house to try and sniff around the attic I would tell him to move on!

17. Chris C

Well now, you clearly don't watch this show or at least, not this particular episode, as Zeke and his wife never get out of their car, they just pull up, talk and and look at the new family that is now living there.

18. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

An episode where Crosby and Adam go on a stealth night mission to get into the barn and recover the signed baseball would have been more fun than most of what we've been given this season.

zebop and mrjinks like this.
  19. aoxomoxoa

I saw the show. I was just saying....

20. rburly

I heard a really good piece on NPR about Parenthood as I was driving home. I was hoping it would be on their "All Things Considered" site when I got home, but I can't find it yet. I'll keep looking, and if anyone else sees it before tonight's show, please post a link, at least. Here's a link from a story NPR did earlier this month:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/monkeysee/...-the-strange-case-of-the-missing-family-drama

The story from earlier today is much better and is something I want to share.

21. rburly

22. rburly

I'll start. I had mixed emotions before last night's show. Like most people, I was hoping for a good ending, but I was sad to see the show ending.

Having said that, and having seen last night's show, I will say that I can "walk away" or not be sad that the show is over... at all. For me, and of course this is just my humble opinion, last night's show was a work of crap. From the contrived "everybody's happy" wedding moments to the "We want you to stay with your new baby at our house" with a follow-up "Zeke's dead" that a blind dog saw coming up the driveway, that show (and this 'season') couldn't have been written any worse than if a bunch of 6th graders were given the task the night before last.
    I was so angry after they came back from commercial and Zeke's wife goes looking for him and... we knew with 5 minutes left he was dead. Then a quick happy funeral into a wonderfully funny, good-time family softball game with everyone going on to have incredibly happy lives. COME ON! I went swimming for a few minutes, and I thought "Anyone on the Steve Hoffman Music Forums could have done a better job of writing a finale than that completely contrived piece of crap. To say that I was unhappy with the finale is a disservice to every other finale. I, of course, thought back to The Sopranos finale and even better, the Breaking Bad finale. Now that was writing.

There was the point where Zeke and sarah were sitting out on the front porch and had just had a very nice conversation and the camera pulls back and away and I thought, "Now that would have made a great ending." But, alas, that was not to be.

zebop likes this.
  23. zebop

I hated the ending, it was so unnecessary, maybe Jason Katims doesn't like Zeke Braverman or Craig T. Nelson.... Really, I knew that Zeke wasn't beloved when the plot turned to selling the house.

Me? I would have had Zeke living a healthier life, maybe exercising in a class or something. Corny, I know but it's better than him being ashes on a sandlot. Stupid! I've got to say it was immensely cowardly not to include the grim reality of telling the kids, etc. It's like they wanted the character dead but with none of the real-life baggage.

And it looks like Zeke's death cured Harry of his near-sightedness and he helped Max too! Too bad Zeke didn't die earlier, Camille could have been a legendary painter by now...

rburly likes this.
  24. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

Personally I loved the finale and felt quite satisfied the way everything concluded. :shrug:

25. rburly

I thought there would be people who would enjoy the way they ended it. I didn't and probably a few others didn't. But that doesn't take away from any particular person's thoughts and feelings about the the finale. I'm glad there were some people who enjoyed it. Apparently there just weren't enough of us watching it in the first place.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.