Leben cs300xs & Integrated amp demos: to tube or not to tube?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by raferx, Jun 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. raferx

raferx Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yeah, the reason I asked is that it's 12 WPC, (close to my 10 WPC Audio Note amp), and I re-read the 6Moons review of the M30.1 and they recommend the Leben 300 for powering them:
    "Any version of the CS300 will be spot on... I simply mentioned [amps] I personally know to be sure things."

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/harbeth5/4.html

beowulf likes this.
  2. Radiotron

Radiotron Tube Designer

For the record, the CS-300XS is 15 wpc whereas the CS300 (discontinued) was 12 wpc.

raferx likes this.
  3. beowulf

beowulf Forum Resident

Nice! I don't know if you have ever been to "Jeff's Place" but he has some great write ups in regards to the Leben/Harbeth pairing. IMO the guy has some great ears and genuinely interesting articles. If you dig deep enough over there he does some great comparisons to vintage McIntosh gear and Shindo/Leben as well.
    [​IMG]

Pomodori, Campbell Saddler and raferx like this.
  4. Radiotron

Radiotron Tube Designer

His piece in Positive Feedback is a classic. Jeff Day is the best ambassador Leben never had.

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue43/leben.htm

Campbell Saddler and beowulf like this.
  5. Pomodori

Pomodori Well-Known Member

Wish I had read this before. I've had the 300XS for a few years and just now got around to changing the driver tubes. When I first bought the unit I swapped the EL84s for NOS Phillips; the sound got a bit warmer but the real change came a week ago when I swapped the driver tubes for some NOS Mullard 12AX7A and the unit came to life...the harshness/brightness is gone and the soundstage opened up. It's a different amp.

JimSmiley likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.