Brian Wilson "Beautiful Dreamer" DVD quality

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by The Keymaster, Jan 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Keymaster

The Keymaster Forum Resident Thread Starter

I finally picked this up the other day and was kind of distracted by the picture quality of the documentary. Granted this thing is 11 years old now and I'm watching it on a brand new Smart TV, but I noticed some weird ghosting kind of effects when a scene would fade to black. This was most noticeable in the credits, which had a weird sort of "burn-in" effect, so that there were shadows of all the credits piling on top of one another after each one faded out. Has anyone else noticed this...or do I have a bad DVD? I doubt it's the TV, as I haven't had this problem with other discs.

2. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

I think some DVDs in the pre bluray era that are encoded at low levels have macro blocking and image issues. My criterion of notorious and I think Beatles anthology had similar issues. Newer DVDs seem to be authored better at a higher res so that's it's not a problem.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2015
    The Keymaster likes this.
  3. balzac

balzac Senior Member

I haven't pulled this DVD out in awhile. I did pull out the "That Lucky Old Sun" DVD not too long ago, which is a few years newer than the "Smile" stuff, and was appalled at the video quality. It looked like it was shot on Super16, then extra grain added, then encoded as an extra low bitrate 360p YouTube video. Really bizarre.

4. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

GuidedByVoices is absolutely correct: ****ty encoding, not enough bits. You might also check your set and make sure all automatic controls are off, no noise reduction, no enhancement, warm (6500 degree K) color, no motion interpolation.

I watched the DVD 10 years ago when it came out and thought it was OK. Nowadays, they have much more efficient algorithms and can encode and compress video with fewer artifacts. But the real truth is... they gotta use more bandwidth.

5. The Keymaster

The Keymaster Forum Resident Thread Starter

I turned up the black tone on my TV to "darkest" setting and that seemed to take care of the problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.