Nuggets: Original Artyfacts... Best CD mastering for first disk? 2012 remaster?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tuttle, Jan 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tuttle

tuttle Forum Resident Thread Starter

2012I searched several existing threads, but couldn't find a discussion about my query.

For the original track selection, I could get the 1998 4-CD boxset in which disk 1 is the original track selection. I've heard it from my local library, and find it a typical Rhino sound: very trebly and somewhat harsh.

There's also the 2000 single-disk Nuggets from Nuggets, with most of but not the exact track list, but it is also very trebly (likely same mastering as the 1998 set?).

There's also a 2012 40th Anniversary single-disk, with the original track selection. I read that it is newly mastered, different mastering from the earlier CDs.
    Rhino media release re. 2012 40th Anniversary disk

Has anyone heard this new 2012 mastering?
    Is it better than the earlier CDs?

Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
    BIG ED likes this.
  2. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Yes......get it!

3. Summerisle

Summerisle Forum Resident

You are complaining about the sound quality of the Nuggets series? I would think the differences wouldn't be that noticeable but I'm just some nobody on the internet.

Phasecorrect, Malina and billnunan like this.
  4. tuttle

tuttle Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks Evan!

Yadda yadda, yet another country heard from. It's astonishing how often someone like you shows up in threads seeking the best mastering, to criticize the query. I would think you would notice that folks in this forum are interested in the best masterings, regardless of music genre. I don't know what enjoyment you and others like you derive from criticizing such threads.

5. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

I'd probably get both........as the 4 disc version is one of the greatest box sets in history. There's too much essential stuff on the other 3 discs.

6. GroovinGarrett

GroovinGarrett Mrs. Stately's Garden

If you want to hear the original Elektra LP reels, complete with oversaturated tape hiss, rechanneled stereo, nth generation dubs, etc., by all means get the 2012. It was mastered straight from the original 1972 master tapes. Same with the Rhino 2-LP reissue.

The box set was compiled by Bill Inglot from the correct master sources. I understand your concern about the mastering, but the source material is superior in the box set.

7. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

i've been wanting too start 'this' thread for a like a yr!

Haven't done "all" the ear-search [TM] yet tho.
    On ceedee it's always been Rhino's "Nuggets - Classics From The Psychedelic Sixties" '86 [the series includes: "More Vol. 2" '87 & "Even More Vol. 3" '89] for me.
    http://www.discogs.com/Various-Nugg...n-From-The-Psychedelic-Sixties/release/544373
    tho not the exact tracklisting that the OP is lOOking for, the series all so offers these tracks in a less "harsh" IMO release than the '98 Box:
    Vol. 2
    http://www.discogs.com/Various-More...-The-Psychedelic-Sixties-Vol-2/release/425486
    Vol. 3
    http://www.discogs.com/Various-Even...The-Psychedelic-Sixties-Vol-3/release/4719101

Tho i've not done the comprehensive comparison i want too w/the Rhinos: 'four disc '98', 'mono single disc '06', & 'single disc '12' that i all so have; hence why i didn't start such a thread earlier.

8. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

Can't do anything about the compression, but definitely re-EQ the Rhino box set, it's kind of etched sounding from the standard "Rhinophonic" EQ they put on almost everything.

john lennonist and BIG ED like this.
  9. Vocalpoint

Vocalpoint Forum Resident

+1. This late 80's original CD set is the only way I will go with these. Anything that came after is mastered too loud and as such - becomes listenable. These later 80's CDs are a very nice listen with no harshness whatsoever.

VP

10. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

A number of songs that appear in the Nuggets series have fantastic sonics - very few of those songs were recorded in anything resembling a garage. While a garage may be where a zillion pimply faced teens practiced and bashed out 2 and 3 chord songs, a high percentage of tunes on the boxed set were recorded in actual recording studios. There are plenty of hi-fi sounding garage tunes that have well balanced, well recorded, well mixed sound - search out garage sets and comps on Ace/Big Beat, and compare how they were mastered in relation to the Nuggets boxed set mastering - you'll notice the differences in mastering choices without having to work too much...

tuttle likes this.
  11. Summerisle

Summerisle Forum Resident

Then just get the box set. it's a great document. Wonderful music, pictures, linear notes. Nuggets II is also just as awesome.

GroovinGarrett likes this.
  12. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

Nuggets II is one of my favorite releases ever. I wish they would put the highlights on a two or three LP comp.

segue and Summerisle like this.
  13. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

+ 2...
    THEY'RE CHEAP!!!
    :p
    [sorry bout the "CAPS"/butt it's TRUE!]

Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
  14. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

12TH Man?!?!
    Enjoy "Super Sunday" [TM]!

All,
    Not only is the mastering diff & not in a good way, butt the master tape sources change as well.
    Some titles are mono on one release & stereo on another. While "The Seeds ~ Pushin' Too Hard" will be "Fake Stereo" on one & original mono on another.
    So, BIG diff!
    [i all so can't then say "Classics From The Psychedelic Sixties" is "The Best" for each & every title/unfortunately]

i will agree, listening in most vehicles going down most streets, i would be difficult too tell the diff w/most OEM systems.
    Or, even if one could tell, one may be incline too choose a more "Modern Mastering" too combat the outside cabin noises.

However, at the "Sweet Spot" in a "Listening Room" i think even w/a "MidFi" [in my world each component >$99US & <$199US/YMMV] system one could hear the 'shill'.
    On a PMP, again, a more "compress" sound may be more 'appealing' as well.

"If The Diff Is No Diff Too You, Then It's No Diff Too You" [TM]

15. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

This thread could just be on "The Seeds ~ Pushin' Too Hard" alone! :uhhuh:

If you listen too Rhino's 'The Box' "PTH" then "The Seeds ~ Singles As & Bs 1965-1970" BIG BEAT 20-14 "PTH" there's a world of difference & not in a good way.
    Even tho i am not all that happy w/'As & Bs', as IMO, 'As & Bs' seems too have a tab of a boost that too me makes it a bit less musical then 'PTH' on "The Seeds ~ S/T" BIG BEAT 20-12.
    [it may be the exact same & i'm kra-kra/butt at least both are mono]

Rhino's 20-12 "Nuggets: Original Artyfacts From The First Psychedelic Era, 1965-1968" 40th Anniversary Gatefold mini-LP release goes back too "Fake Stereo" for 'PTH'! :wtf:
    http://www.discogs.com/Various-Nugg...rst-Psychedelic-Era-1965-1968/release/4145571
    credit at Discogs has this issue's Coordination and/or Project Supervision from Mason Williams & done at Bernie Grundman Mastering while mastering was by Chris Bellman.

16. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

I just bought the 1986 issue of this Classic Collection yesterday at Grimey's for $5.39 in great shape, It happens to be a Japan for US release with no barcode.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Indeed it sounds like it..and is by far the best sound of any of these tunes I've ever heard. I also have the late 90s 4 disc Nuggets set..and it's not a great listening pleasure. Go with the 1986's !!!!

davers likes this.
  17. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

If you care, I have the 2012 reissue and it was mastered by Chris Bellman.

Only five tracks from that CD were on the original Nuggets (1, 2, 3, 4 and 15)

18. OnTheRoad

I'm sure it's a great one...but I like the old. It's a Bill Inglot issue...and for the price and condition, hard to beat IMO. I checked with my Nuggets boxset..and I believe, bar one or two, ALL the tracks on the '86 Classic Collection are on that, but with inferior mastering.

So you're saying the 2012 reissue has only 5 of the tracks of the '86 ?

19. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

No, only 5 tracks on the '86 CD (the one you have) were on Nuggets.

Malina likes this.
  20. OnTheRoad

Huh ?

I checked my Nuggets box and all, or nearly, are on THAT. Which Nuggets are you talking about..just the Bellman ?

I'm confused, bear with me please.

Malina likes this.
  21. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

I mean the CD you just posted pictures for.

22. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

So what do I go for now, was at a party in the late 90s were these were played all night, must have been the 80s box sets.
    They have been on my mind ever since, but at the time were hard to get. Can you get them now,
    I think there was two multi sets.

23. OnTheRoad

I don't think the 80s issue were a 'box'. They were individual cd's in a series. You can find them online or, if you're lucky, in a used cd shop.

See Ed's post above,

Nuggets: Original Artyfacts... Best CD mastering for first disk? 2012 remaster? »

Malina and royzak2000 like this.
  24. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

This!

If you like the original album (see 1st disc), you're bound to dig (and sift) the other three discs of nuggets ;)

An essential box set.

25. OnTheRoad

Better to collect them, if you can find them, on the individual 80s issues. Far better mastering and most likely cheaper too, on the used market, than the boxset.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.