Best way to record vinyl to digital files

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Dr. Metal MD, Jan 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr. Metal MD

Dr. Metal MD Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hey all,

So, I have the Audio Technica AT LP-120 turntable. I removed the preamp manually, as many now do, to improve sound quality. I now absolutely love this TT with my Shure M97xE cart and JICO SAS replacement stylus. Anyway, I am now unable to record my records to a hifi digital format without the internal stock preamp.

I know USB preamps like the ART USB Phono Plus have this capability, but I am wondering if other possibilities exist? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers! :cheers:

2. krisbee

krisbee Forum Resident

Get a portable digital recorder, like a tascam dr -08... Will record hi res, and no computer needed.

3. Dr. Metal MD

Wouldn't that have to be used to directly record the music coming out of speakers then? I was hoping for some way of having my computer record it into WAV files to back up on an external HD.

4. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

No, you run the RCAs from your phono amp or a tape out into the Tascam with a Y cable.

5. Dr. Metal MD

6. ghost rider

ghost rider Forum Resident

I never like those type of connectors. I would go with this if I went that route http://www.guitarcenter.com/Tascam-...1@ADL4GC-adType^PLA-device^c-adid^44639487282
    You did say you wanted to know the best way to do it. I think this may be the easiest but you could do better.

7. TerryB

TerryB Forum Resident

I do just this after having messed around with the usb interface thing and would not go back. I use a Tascam DR-05. The only thing is the input is really sensitive do I pad the signal down with inline attenuators.

I

8. Dr. Metal MD

Any options cheaper than a Tascam? That ART preamp that I mentioned is cheaper than a Tascam, unless I get extremely lucky on a used on eBay.

9. Dr. Metal MD

Thanks for the input everybody. I appreciate it. I didn't know devices like the Tascam exist... Seriously going to have to consider it.

10. TerryB

TerryB Forum Resident

The DR-05 is on Amazon for $99.

11. Dr. Metal MD

Thanks. And you said that using the Tascam gave you much better results in terms of sound quality than going the USB route?

12. Hi,
    I use a software program called WaveRepair, find it using Google and download it. It has a freeware license and a paid license, the freeware is all you should need. Connect your turntable to your PC 'Line In' port with double RCA to 3.5" phono jack cable. once you have a good connection WaveRepair should be able to capture your output from the turntable and save it as a Wav file. Without the phono adapter you may not have a good bass response but give it a try and see what you get. The required cable is available at all stores that sell audio stuff including WalMart, should only be a few bucks. I've used this program for many years, you may have to work with your drivers some but it usually works "right out of the box".
    Cheers,

arisinwind likes this.
  13. TerryB

TerryB Forum Resident

I thought so. I was using an Editor UA-X1 and audacity and never felt like i got it 'right'.

14. curbach

I'm using a DR-05. It does a very good job, but as TerryB noted it cannot handle a true line level signal. I'm running it from a pre-amp output so I can attenuate the signal with my volume control. I think the DR-08 will handle a true line level signal without attenuating.

15. Dr. Metal MD

Interesting. I only have a PC laptop, so I am pretty sure I don't have a 'Line In' port on it even though it does have an HDMI one... Thanks for your response.

Thanks for your input. If the sound quality is superior going with a Tascam, then I may have to go with that if I cannot figure anything else out. I like the preamp I already have set up, so I don't necessarily want to buy another preamp JUST to record my vinyl.

16. Dr. Metal MD

Ahh, okay. So, if you were to decrease the volume on your preamp and try to record an LP, would the resulting WAV file also be lower in volume?

17. curbach

Well, you just want to set the volume at a level that will avoid clipping in the Tascam. The Tascam helpfully has a clipping indicator, so it's easy to tell. Once you've got the digital file on your PC you can normalize the volume in your editor.

18. Dr. Metal MD

Thanks for the explanation. Really appreciate it.

19. curbach

No problem. I am far from an expert on this stuff. I take an inexpensive and minimalist approach, but I get results that are very satisfying on my iPod. If you do a search, you'll find a lot of threads where the serious needledroppers discuss equipment, software and techniques.

20. Dr. Metal MD

I'm not quite to that point in my 'vinyl career'. I just want a good transfer medium to get a hifi WAV file.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.