14 out of 15 listeners can't tell the difference between PONO & iTunes Store downloads on an iPhone

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by thestereofan, Jan 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Well, I read all these test conclusions and 0ut of this whole argument comes my conclusion: According to the big study it seems you'll only have a fifty-fifty chance of being able to tell the difference between hi-rez and cd quality files. But my own feeling is that these tests may not be correct, because I think over time you can learn to spot the differences better. These test subjects had a one-shot exposure to these tests and listening to hi-rez files. I used to think mp3s sounded great, but over the years I recognized their shortcomings more and more. Now, files that once sounded good sound lousy because I've moved on to Apple lossless. So I'm of the opinion if you start listening to mainly hi-rez files, they MAY start sounding better than regular CD quality files because you'll become more attuned to their sonic advantages. In other words, the shortcomings of cd-quality files could become, for the experience listener, much easier to spot. My own solution is don't listen to those hi-rez file and learn because I'm too poor to upgrade!

2. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Forum Resident

They can't tell the difference between a Toblerone and a Wagon Wheel?

3. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

That Oohashi study is controversial because of difficulty in reproducing the results.

See:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/561552/hypersonic-effect-discussion/15#post_7706106

in short Ashihara and colleagues could not replicate the Oohashi results and posited the effect was due to IMD due to the arrangement of transducers used (as per the NHK study you cited) , JVC research back in the late 70s used hard cut-offs at 20K, 18K , 16K and 14K - none of the subjects reliaby detected the 20K cut-off​

Tim

wavethatflag likes this.
  4. ReggieTheVaper

ReggieTheVaper Forum Resident

Can't you just grasp that I don't need to defend my position. There are many reviewers out there, right now, doing a mighty fine job "debunking the snake oil".

5. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

There is no snake oil in the PonoPlayer. The player is the real deal. It's audiophile high-end sound packed into a $400 portable. It sounds good when playing high-res. It sounds good when playing 16/44.1 redbook. It sounds good when playing MP3. It's a player that sounds good in an audiophile sort of way. 3D, spacial, depth, holographic, openness, smoothness, set-back soundstage, the ability for headphone ear cups or for speakers to disappear. Audiophile. Things that an iPod or iPhone is not. Try playing the PonoPlayer loud. You'll be amazed at how loud you can take it without the ears getting fatigued or feeling like they're getting abused. It encourages long listening sessions. Pity the battery only lasts about 8 hours, cause you could easily listen to it for longer and keep wanting more.

You can consider high-res music as snake oil. Or not. I'm most interested in high-res when it offers unique and special and better masterings than can be found from CD or low-res downloads. I have heard that 1%-2% magic that sometimes happens in high-res. But it's not always there in all high-res recordings (I've heard it in very few). So mostly I'm looking for the better masterings. If those happen to be exclusive to a high-res download then so be it, and I'd be willing to buy if I wanted it.

The player and high-res music are separate things. They're designed to complement each other when used together. But they are separate things that should be evaluated separately. The player is perfectly happy and capable playing low res redbook recordings.

pablorkcz, SBurke, Dave Simms and 3 others like this.
  6. PanaPlasma

PanaPlasma Forum Resident

If 1 in 15 buys a Pono-player it's ok for him. The Pono-bashing continues ...

I really would like to know who is behind those hate-campaigns.

mdpierocarey likes this.
  7. amoergosum

amoergosum Forum Resident

[​IMG]

8. amoergosum

amoergosum Forum Resident

Albums with great dynamic range encourage long listening sessions. It has nothing to do with the PonoPlayer.
    Play a brickwalled album on your PonoPlayer and you WILL also get ear fatigue.

Carserguev, botley and Jackson like this.
  9. BlueGangsta

BlueGangsta Forum Resident

I very much doubt that 1 out of 15 people are even audiophiles.

Also, 15 people is not enough of a sample size to do an auditory test.

Hawklord likes this.
  10. Zephead2112

Zephead2112 Forum Resident

Each to their own opinion as always and nothing wrong with that at all. Personally, I'm very happy with mine and I can most definitely hear the difference between my CD's and those ripped CD's I have on the Pono = very happy with my investment.

Scooter59, Tornado Red and PanaPlasma like this.
  11. ReggieTheVaper

The "Pono" is being marketed by Neil Young as a device that embraces Hi-Res music. Period. That is his sales pitch.

starduster likes this.
  12. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

A better quality amp will produce less distortion at higher volumes, everyone knows that.

rcsrich likes this.
  13. ReggieTheVaper

I am sure the conspiracy theorist element within this community will jump forth and provide data on that statement.

14. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

An album with a higher DR certainly helps to allow longer listening at higher volume. But the player has a lot to do with how loud you can go and still consider the dB level comfortable. The PonoPlayer has a set-back and open soundstage that gives more space to the music. The music isn't pumping at you. It's more like the music is flowing around you. Even when listening at VERY high volume levels to to music that has a low DR.

Play an iPhone loud and the treble gets harsh and too much. The forward sound pummels you. Your ears will quickly cry for mercy.

Play a PonoPlayer loud and the sound stays smooth. The image and sound is still set-back and not pummeling you. You can crank it like that for a long time and the ears will be enjoying it.

Measured comfortable max listening level (as measured with an SPL meter) will be louder with the PonoPlayer than with an iPhone or iPod or the vast majority of home DACs.

PanaPlasma likes this.
  15. Turmatic

Turmatic Forum Resident

As someone who, in the video world, went from CED to Beta-max to Laser, EACH time replacing my library, I will NEVER take the bait again. I am sure PONO is great. Enjoy:wave:

Just sayin.....

Jackson, Carserguev and audiomixer like this.
  16. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

17. Mij Retrac

Mij Retrac Forum Resident

Again your version of quantum leap and mine are very different. I have compared the Pono to a Fiio X5 and found the Fiio was nicer but both were better sounding than my iPhone. Not a quantum leap but noticeable. Quantum leap would mean so substantial that anyone would easily notice a big difference and to me it wasn't something I would classify as a big difference and obviously the people in this poll feel the same way.

wavethatflag likes this.
  18. MonkeyMan

MonkeyMan A man who dreams he is a butterfly?

An excellent point...

PanaPlasma likes this.
  19. Roger Meadows

Roger Meadows Active Member

20. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Well it's clearly not a scam as such as in itself it is a decent mobile audio player. Whether it fails or not is determined by how many people take it up. But really, if you already have an ipod, and a decent set of headphones, and listen to hi-res files then is there any point to it? I mean the hardware is already available to listen to hi-res on the go. And it's clearly not aimed at the non-audiophile market.

My guess is that it will be the Betamax of portable players.

Khaki F and bluelips like this.
  21. Byrdsmaniac

Byrdsmaniac Forum Resident

The test appears to be well done to me. I don't find the results at all surprising, but then I have no emotional investment in the outcome.

22. Macman

Macman Senior Member

If you're used to listening mp3's on your phone, you're likely to prefer that sound. No surprise, but it means Pono is pretty much doomed.

23. The anti BS faction?

Dr. Mudd and Frank like this.
  24. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

That's a complete statistical misinterpretation.

1 in 15 in a blind test preferred the PONO. That does not mean 1 in 15 people buying a mobile player are going to buy a PONO. NY would be delighted I'm sure if it was 1 in 1500.

25. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

No one even buys ipods anymore. What makes anyone think that the Pono is going to be a big seller. Everyone just uses their phones for listening now.

YouKnowEyeKnow and c-eling like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.