Archive of American Television "Must-see TV" archive

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Chris R, Oct 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris R

Chris R Forum Fones Thread Starter

Posted this morning (Oct. 26) at Google Blog by Steve Mosko, President of Sony Pictures Television.

A must-see TV archive

One of the things that absolutely blew me away when I came on board last year as chairman of the Television Academy Foundation was the Archive of American Television, which is an unequaled collection of videotaped interviews with TV legends.

It's a fantastic resource, and so it drove me crazy that the Archive had over 450 interviews -- but no one could view them if they weren’t actually in Southern California. If a student at a school in Cincinnati or Bangkok wanted to learn more about the history of creative or business aspects of the American television industry, these interviews were just not accessible. So I made it a personal goal to find a way to get the Archive online.

And starting today, anyone in the world can go to Google Video and watch complete and uncut Archive interviews and learn directly from the legends and pioneers on how it all happened. How cool is that?

It’s been 30 years since I was in college, but I can honestly say that if I were just starting out in this business, I would be all over the Archive. I’m such a fan of television that I can’t wait to be able to watch some of the interviews on Google Video – with the men and women who inspired me, and continue to inspire me. One of the Archive legends now online is former NBC head Grant Tinker. Grant helped create “Must See TV” on Thursday nights! There’s also Norman Lear, Ted Turner, Steven Bochco, and so many more. The Archive was created to educate, entertain, and inspire future generations. I challenge you to look up your favorite TV show, learn about a favorite star, or discover more about some of the most important news events of the 20th century. I’m thrilled that the Foundation is finally able to introduce some of these interviews to the world, using the world’s most powerful delivery system – Google. Enjoy!

Just watched part of an interview with Phyllis Diller discussing her work in television in the mid 1960s. Fascinating stuff.

2. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

Geez, I just stumbled across this website tonight. It's unbelievable. I just watched the interviews with Elinor Donahue and Mary Tyler Moore and they were both really interesting. I'm going to lose quite a bit of time here. What a treasury of interviews. Incredible.

http://emmytvlegends.org/interviews/all-interviewees

Tex_Writer likes this.
  3. Benno123

Benno123 Forum Resident

A great thing about this is that many of these people have since passed but we have a record of their first hand recollections which to me is priceless.

Glenn Christense likes this.
  4. Glenn Christense

Yes, I watched the interview with Barbara Billingsley last night filmed in 2000.

Benno123 likes this.
  5. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Did she speak jive?

[​IMG]

6. Glenn Christense

No, but she apparently is tired of getting asked about June Cleaver wearing pearls and high heels around the house. She's had enough of THAT jive.:D

Man, there are lots of interesting people on this website, and the interviews aren't the typical cursory ones.

I'm kind of surprised the TV fans here aren't all over this website .

Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.