Rush - new 2015 vinyl and hi-res reissues thread.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Murph, Dec 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

I dig that. I've never heard a difference, but I'll not pretend to have anything more than the most basic listening setup. :)

2. vinylfilmaholic

vinylfilmaholic Forum Resident

Thanks to everyone's positive words about the vinyl reissues so far I just put an order in for both the ReDISCovered box and "FBN". I bought all my Rush albums used in various conditions and might end up picking up all of these reissues as they go along (maybe not CoS because I don't listen to that album as much).

Ben Adams and rcsrich like this.
  3. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Yep, absolute polarity really. But people here always call it phase inversion, so I didn't want to add to the confusion.

Billy Budapest and rcsrich like this.
  4. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

FBN is such a fantastic album- it's only a few months since I had it on heavy rotation because I made my "97 EQ" version & finally had something with a decent top end AND good dynamics, so you'd think that I'd be tired of listening to it, but picked up the 2015 hi-res version & can't stop playing it! For one thing, it's like Peart is marking his new territory by demonstrating just how amazing of a drummer he is and "oh, by the way, I write incredible lyrics too...no big deal." Alex's guitar chops are top-notch, Geddy's singing & playing is great. For a sophomore album, it hits the ball clean out of the park. :)

Stuart S, saundr00, botley and 2 others like this.
  5. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

Please, add to the confusion! :)

6. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

Ah- a nice little discussion of phase vs polarity reversal here:

http://www.moultonlabs.com/more/about_comb_filtering_phase_shift_and_polarity_reversal/P1/

A quote from the same:

"Answer: what you are referring to isn't "out-of-phase," it is "reversal of polarity."

Yeah, so how come it is called "out-of-phase?"

Answer: because when you reverse the polarity of a sine wave, the sine wave appears to have shifted in time by 180° (even though it hasn’t), and electronics engineers, like everyone else, are lazy and sloppy with their language. And, like, they know what they mean, you know?
    "

botley and Plan9 like this.
  7. asat

asat Member

Could someone PM me a 10 sec clip of the HiRes version please? I own several copies in all kinds of formats and would like to compare if it´s really worth upgrading. Thanks for your help

8. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Give me a minute and I'll post a 30 second one

9. c-eling

10. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

I will say that I don't feel like I settled for less by purchasing the 24/96 instead of the 24/192. Looking at "Anthem", there's a whole lot of nothing up above 25 kHz:
    [​IMG]

11. asat

asat Member

Thanks a lot c-eling. I´ll have a proper listen tonight and will let you know what I think.

c-eling likes this.
  12. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

13. c-eling

No problem, for some reason I skipped early Rush growing up, so I only have the crappy sounding (imo) sector box for comparison

14. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

This! ^

15. botley

botley Forum Resident

If you can't tell if the mastering is good or not from a lossy sample, what are you listening for in lossless?

16. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

I'm assuming @cyclistsb is referring to a downloadable sample vs. a stream (which would likely defeat the purpose of a hi-res sample).

with a 30-second hi-res sample, not only could you listen in full resolution, but you could bring the sample into an editor and find out all kinds of other info like, has it just been upsampled from 16/44, DR value, clipping- all kinds of useful info.

asat likes this.
  17. botley

botley Forum Resident

Why would a stream "defeat" the purpose if you are auditioning the mastering? You can still hear how an MP3 is mastered, whether it has lots of dynamic range or excessive clipping. If you're looking to import the file into a DAW to examine it with a fine-tooth comb, you're not really auditioning the mastering, you're compiling statistics.

Billy Budapest, BGLeduc and fredblue like this.
  18. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

so, you're saying that what is likely a 320 kbps stream will really give you a complete picture of what a hi-res file sounds like? Yes- it will tell you if the EQ is balanced and if it's brickwalled, but before I drop two or three times what I'd spend on a lossy iTunes download for what are supposed to be "audiophile" quality hi-res files, I'd like to get some specifics.
    That's just me-

JulesRules likes this.
  19. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

Exactly...would have some objective way to verify the recording and decide if the higher rez version is worth buying. For the other folks saying "why not just listen to the streaming lossy recording"?

First we are the customer and should have a way to verify the quality before purchase.
    Second I am not always near my system when I make purchasing choices about music. In fact I do not download or buy music anywhere near my living room setup.
    Lastly, I cannot stream or playback these linked lossy streams to my setup in the first place.

A sample would help in all these regards.

oneway23 and rcsrich like this.
  20. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Wow, I'd love to have that ability with sealed LPs, CDs, packaged food, tons of stuff I can't verify before purchase.

botley likes this.
  21. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

As we all would, I'm sure. Point is, it would be quite easy to implement for digital downloads, provided the labels wouldn't have a problem with it.

There was a time when record stores would let you listen to an actual CD/LP before purchasing it & would open a copy if they didn't have one already opened...

22. Simon_LDT

Simon_LDT Forum Resident

So, how's the quality of the overall package of the US press? I've got the EU press (gzvinyl) which comes in a standard matte sleeve, not too thin but not exactly thick either. The LP comes in a white poly-lined sleeve and comes with a lyric insert. The vinyl itself nice and flat and pretty much noise free, other than the odd click/pop.

I ask because not sure whether I should get the EU or US presses from now on. GZvinyl can be very hit n miss in my experience and for some bizarre reason Caress of Steel is a whopping £35.99 on amazon.co.uk (what are they thinking?).

23. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

is there a download with the blu-ray?

and is it the same mastering as the HDtracks version? :)

24. mcenters

mcenters Forum Resident

Sorry if this has already been mentioned, but how does this reissue stack against the "Rush Archives" (3LP set of their first 3 albums)? This is the only super clean versions of those albums that I have been able to get my hands on.

Is the Archives a good set to have?

25. botley

botley Forum Resident

Yes and yes!

qtrules likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.