Why was/is Tin Machine so hated?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by erocky, Jan 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DavidF

DavidF Forum Resident

I liked the 1st one, even though I can't think of a memorable tune off it. I think he tried to be as uncommercial as possible. Intentional or not? Like Lennon's early solos. It seemed like he was rebelling against his previous popularity. He was always trying to reinvent himself. He must’ve run out of ideas by this time?

2. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

I wouldn't say he was running out of ideas. Perhaps he was sensing the shift in music back to a more hard, electric sound. As far as a memorable tune, his remake of Lennon's Working Class Hero was just great!

3. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

I always liked I Can't Read the best from the 1st one. The version on the live CD isn't bad either.

stevepafford likes this.
  4. stevepafford

stevepafford Well-Known Member

Reeves is quoted in the current Mojo mag stating that several labels are interested in putting together a Tin Machine box set, and that the band have around 8 or so unreleased tracks.

hi_watt, scobb and Curveboy like this.
  5. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

I didn't know there was rampant Tin Machine hatred.
    Or are we using the 2010's definition of "hate" which simply means, "indifferent to"?

Zeki and Cracklebarrel like this.
  6. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

As usual, Bowie was ahead of his time...people were not ready for this music.
    Both albums are great, but the edge goes to the first one for me. Heaven's In Here, Prisoner of Love, Amazing...all fantastic Bowie tracks. It took me years, but i think I own all the live tracks, b-sides and alt versions at this point.

The live album and BBC sessions EP are essential as well.

I also got to see them twice on the second tour...killer shows!!

7. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

The tour book from the II era is filled with horrible reviews...kind of their FU to the press by reprinting them.

8. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

[​IMG]

PJayBe and botley like this.
  9. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

Time for a deluxe Tin Machine package they were great

Finch Platte and Chris Bernhardt like this.
  10. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I love the first album. Got it for my birthday 1989 on cassette tape so we've been together a long time. I still play this album regularly. Just played it this week, in fact. This and Outside are Bowie's two greatest achievements since Scary Monsters.

11. stevepafford

He did. Reeves also reveals in the Mojo feature that after the Glass Spider debacle (savage reviews, lukewarm audiences, rape allegations etc) DB hired a corporate image consultant because he was at a loss how to reset his career, and the person told him he needed to do something which was such a departure it would destroy everything that went before. "That made me feel a little weird...and bad," says Gabrels.

How utterly corporate. Not to mention calculating.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
  12. Cracklebarrel

Cracklebarrel Forum Resident

I only have the live version from the 7" EP (same version?).

I'd like it more if he didn't feel he had to squeeze-cheese a strange "country music accent" on top of the cracker music. Sounds to me like a copy of a copy of a copy (Bowie doing 20 years-old Mick), with further generations behind that. Like kids doing impressions of comedians doing impressions.

It would have been more interesting if he hadn't hidden behind that affectation.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
  13. Daniel Plainview

If only his "corporate image consultants" would advise him to reissue his complete catalog in audiophile quality.

stevepafford and Jet Age Eric like this.
  14. stevepafford

But hiding behind affectation is the definition of his entire career. David Bowie is a construct, not a real person at all.

HFR and wayneklein like this.
  15. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

Steve "Lips" Kudlow from Anvil played guitar with a dildo :)

hi_watt and wavethatflag like this.
  16. Cracklebarrel

Cracklebarrel Forum Resident

That's true; I took that as a given. But the Thin White Duke actually seemed to understand something about R&B. I think my response is fundamentally: If he doesn't care, why should I?

17. stevepafford

Bowie's never really let truth or integrity stand in the way of a good career move, or quote.

EasterEverywhere likes this.
  18. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Forum Resident

The first record is too long but there's still a fantastic full length in there (plus a few crap songs). The second record is awful, with one, maybe two good songs. I think if the second album had been decent they might've gotten over the hump; instead, it just confirmed people's knee jerk reaction to the first record.

That said, the band in general missed the mark--as I understand it, it was intended to capture Bowie's take on the vibe of bands like Dinosaur Jr., Sonic Youth and the Pixies. Reeves was simply too good, and instead of channeling Ron Asheton and Neil Young, he sounded like Steve Vai being told to play like SY after hearing several :30 second clips so, even with Nirvana et al on the ascent around them (i.e., bands that loved The Stooges and NY), TM didn't fit in. -E

Cracklebarrel likes this.
  19. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Well....when I heard the second album last year - for the first time since 1992 - I was surprised how good it is and played it on a regular basis.

erocky likes this.
  20. Daniel Plainview

This is why I prefer the vinyl version. It drops the two cuts that, for me, are the least interesting ("Run" & "Sacrifice Yourself"). Since this was 1989 and vinyl was still prominent (barely) I tend to tell myself that this is the album proper and the extra songs found on cassette and CD are merely "bonuses".

Further proof that LP length is just right. Even his latest album, "The Next Day", could stand to lose two tracks ("Boss of Me" & "Dancing Out In Space").

Tim Machine II certainly didn't have the same magic. There were some good tracks but an awful lot of blah. And I don't think I've ever made it through the entire live album. Oy vey indeed.

Cracklebarrel likes this.
  21. Chris Bernhardt

Chris Bernhardt Forum Resident

The second album takes awhile to grow on you, but it's a good one.

The whole Reeves, Mojo article is really interesting.

22. Daniel Plainview

Is the Reeves thing in this month's issue? I'll have to go fetch it.

23. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

One Shot is clearly the winner...but other tracks stand out too; Betty Wrong is great, If There Is Something, Shopping For Girls and you Belong In Rock N Roll (even if the single version is better) are solid too.

I think Amlapura really drags it down, and should have been replaced with the full version of Hammerhead (b-side of You Belong in RNR)

24. Daniel Plainview

I here I was going to say "Amlapura" was the best track on the record! :hide:

hi_watt likes this.
  25. stevepafford

Amlapura is lovely. I visited the village (in Bali) last year and chanced upon the actual palace that Bowie referenced as the 'shining jewel'. It's pretty stunning.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.