Groovetracer ROCKS!!!!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by timztunz, Jan 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

VW too busy making Bentleys :cool:

thxphotog likes this.
  2. Gavinyl

Gavinyl Remembering Member

GT products are fantastic see my profile.

Long Live Analog likes this.
  3. tomd

tomd Senior Member

My local Hi End dealer here in Denver described VPI and Pro-Ject as "junk" and Rega best up to $1500 and.ClearAudio best above that .He sells some very expensive brands/models like Transrotor over $100k and has a lot of experience so I do respect his opinion somewhat.

Gavinyl likes this.
  4. utahusker

utahusker Senior Member

I certainly wouldn't say VPI is junk over Clearaudio.

Junk is a pretty strong term, don't you think?

SandAndGlass and Gavinyl like this.
  5. tomd

tomd Senior Member

Yes I do.I think as with all audio products VPI has strengths and weaknesses in their products.Their turntables appear to focus on "build quality" but "may" not be a technically innovative as some other brands at their price point.Rega turntables may not be built to the same standard but have many innovative features (arms,speed control) that set them apart at their price point.i would definately take a ClearAudio TT over a VPI at the same price however...

Gavinyl likes this.
  6. Don't hesitate concerning the GT sub platter. I have one on my P25 and love it. I don't think I have ever heard of anyone who did not find it to be a substantial improvement over the stock unit.

Gavinyl and Long Live Analog like this.
  7. Hello REV76. I have a P25 with a Funk Firm Acroplat platter and I am very pleased with the sound. I have all the other Groovetracer mods and I am a big fan of the GT products. I have been thinking about trying the GT Delrin platter, but just haven't pulled the trigger because I am not at all unhappy with the Acroplat. Please convince me why I need to buy the GT Delrin platter. I am looking for a good excuse to go ahead and try one. :righton:

8. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

The question here is that while I enjoyed the Groovetracer products on the Planar 3 (I had EVERYTHING except the Delrin platter) and noticed an improvement - I struggle to wonder exactly what could change wrt to upping everything on the RP6 save for putting a different sub-platter in...
    Can somebody who has done so please tell their story about modding the RP6?

Gavinyl likes this.
  9. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

How would you describe the difference in sound?

Gavinyl likes this.
  10. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Tightened or cleaned up, and clarified, the entire sound range. Highs got a little silkier / natural sounding, lower end became tighter/more defined and extended, lowered the noise floor (another notch towards the proverbial inky blackness description used in audio circles).

11. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Wow, all sounds good. No downside?

Gavinyl likes this.
  12. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

None at all. Another little unexpected benefit is that the taller polished aluminum spindle is much easier to see when you're putting a record on & looking through the spindle hole. The stock Rega is black, and shorter.

13. Maybe you should ask his girlfriend

14. REV76

REV76 New Member

Hey Sailfree, It took me a few months to take the jump on the GT Delrin Platter. I already put a lot of money into modding my NAD 533 and couldn't find a convincing review online to tell me why the Delrin is better than Acrylic. I wasn't expecting a change in the sound and assumed it would be a disappointing purchase, but that assumption was wrong! The catch is the acrylic and delrin platters have two completely different sounds and it will boil down to your tastes.

Acrylic Platter: Large soundstage (think church), airy, mids and highs are clean but lacks in the low frequencies. Sort of a flat cold sound IMO.
    Delrin Platter: Soundstage is smaller (think coffee house or small venue), very direct instead of airy, mid-high to lows are emphasized but high frequencies are toned back with tight bass. Gave the impression of a live jam session in my listening room compared to listening to music in a church.

So, here is my overall opinion: If you listen to a lot of classical music, then Acrylic is a better choice. Rock, Jazz, Folk, and Electronic I would highly recommend the delrin platter. I ran a few records from each of these genres through both platters (back to back by swapping out platters) and that is what my opinion is based on.

15. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

After being a Rega owner for 6 years, I moved over to VPI and have been very happy. The build quality and sound are excellent. Far from junk.

16. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I had a P5, which is close enough to an RP6. I suppose the RP6 is a little better. I kept my P5 in tact for a good 6 months and then swapped out the subplatter for the Groovetracer version that was on my P2. I had the same experience as Raunchnroll. I found that the sound was better defined with a tighter bottom end. The GT subplatter makes a significant difference in the sound.

17. Vernoona

Vernoona Well-Known Member

absolutely love Franks products!! tricked out my P3-24 several years ago and never looked back. the underslung counterweight is so under rated. tracks like a dream.

he was great to deal with, and as I was buying all 3, he gave me a substantial discount. top guy and top gear.

[​IMG]

18. dianos

dianos Forum Resident

Is it a 200USD worth upgrade too? When you say it tracks like a dream you mean less distortion than with the normal one? Other changes to the sound?

Gavinyl likes this.
  19. Vernoona

Vernoona Well-Known Member

the counterweight was $145, but as I mentioned.... all 3 came with a discount so it was significantly less.

changes to tone - bigger, more authorative bass. yes, less distortion. those difficult inner grooves are a thing of the past. a more refined sound overall.

20. dianos

dianos Forum Resident

For me it will be around 200USD to the door (Europe, Freight, VAT, Customs). There are a few options over here but they all look terrible. GT at least know how hardware should look :)

Gavinyl, Sailfree and Vernoona like this.
  21. Gavinyl

Anyone tried the GT weight ?

22. Gavinyl

23. Gavinyl

24. Gavinyl

Sorry, bloody crap Australian broadband - garbage!!

25. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

Everything feels more crisp and defined due to the stabilized platter rotation. First thing one notices is less warble on piano notes.

Gavinyl and chacha like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.