It’s 2015, and these TV series should be out on DVD

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by steelydanguy, Jan 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steelydanguy

steelydanguy Forum Resident Thread Starter

There has been a surge of sorts recently in which studios have released some very in-demand TV favorites on DVD -- the kind of stuff for which viewers have been begging for years.

At the end of 2014, for example, complete sets of “The Wonder Years” and the 1960s “Batman” were released by StarVista Entertainment and Warner Home Video, respectively. Those series had been voted as the “most requested unreleased shows” on the Web site tvshowsondvd.com for several years.

Also in the past few years, Shout! Factory has released an impressive number of complete-series box sets, in many cases completing the run of a series that had “stalled” on DVD or repackaging the series (“All in the Family” is a good example) in more of a collectible set. Among the complete-series sets that the company has released are: “All in the Family”; “Hill Street Blues”; “WKRP in Cincinnati”; “Barney Miller”; “The Bob Newhart Show”; “The Jeffersons”; and “The Facts of Life.” Shout! will also be releasing a complete “Maude” set in March 2015. I have to give the company major kudos for these sets!

Another studio that I’ll give some credit to is Warner Archive, which in the past few years has put out some vintage TV series such as the entire run of “Maverick”; the brief entirety of two other James Garner series, “Nichols” and “Bret Maverick”; and the first season of the Robert Urich series “Spenser for Hire.” (I’d love to see more seasons of “Spenser” released, by the way.)

Even with the recent comeback of sorts in the TV-on-DVD industry, there are still several series that I think deserved to be released in full. What follows is a list of personal TV favorites that I’d like to see hit the DVD market in their entirety:

St. Elsewhere (originally aired 1982-88): The first season of this critically acclaimed NBC hospital drama set in Boston was released on DVD way back in 2006 by 20th Century Fox, but none of the subsequent five seasons have come out. “St. Elsewhere” was never a ratings hit, but, like its MTM Enterprises sibling “Hill Street Blues,” it garnered numerous Emmy nominations and awards. Perhaps Shout! Factory can rescue this series, too, and release a complete set.

Lou Grant (originally aired 1977-82): Here’s another MTM Enterprises show that received all sorts of critical praise during its original run. The CBS series followed the Lou Grant character from “The Mary Tyler Moore Show” as he transitioned back to a newspaper career, moving from Minneapolis to Los Angeles to work at the fictional Los Angeles Tribune. The first three seasons of this show are available via streaming on HuluPlus, and I’ve been re-watching them lately. The writing and acting are first-rate. While the show’s run ended in controversy amid actor Ed Asner’s criticisms of U.S. policy in Central America, the quality of the show demands that it be released. None of the seasons have been released on DVD to date. This is another show for which a complete-series set would make sense, and, again, Shout! Factory might be the most logical company to pull it off.

Knots Landing (originally aired 1979-93): Part of the wave of 1980s nighttime soap operas, “Knots Landing” had a really lengthy run on the air (a “Dallas”-like 14 seasons and 344 episodes). While it wasn’t as popular as “Dallas” or “Dynasty” -- shows that have seen all of their seasons released on DVD; heck, “The Colbys” is now getting a complete-series release -- “Knots Landing” nonetheless did well in the ratings and developed a strong cult following that still exists online today. The first two seasons of the CBS series set in a fictional community in Southern California were released on DVD in 2006 and 2009, respectively, by Warner Home Video. But since then, for whatever reasons, the series has stalled. Does the show warrant a complete-series release? My hunch is that such a release would do better in DVD sales than many people might suspect.

Falcon Crest (originally aired 1981-90): Another popular nighttime soap from the ’80s with a lengthy run (nine seasons, 227 episodes), this CBS series set in wine country in Northern California had even better ratings than “Knots Landing,” especially early in its run. Some of that undoubtedly can be attributed to a favorable time slot after the mega-hit “Dallas” on Friday nights on CBS, but this show developed its own strong following. My family religiously watched “Knots Landing” when I was growing up and also watched “Falcon Crest,” though at a less-frequent rate. The first three seasons of “Falcon Crest” were released on DVD from 2010 to 2013 on Warner Home Video, but it appears that the series has now stalled. I bought the first three seasons and have to say that I enjoyed them quite a bit, including the beautiful scenery of the Napa Valley. Again, was the show’s following strong enough to warrant a complete-series release? Perhaps. After all, the series' rankings in the Nielsen ratings for the first six seasons were as follows: No. 13, No. 8, No. 7, No. 10, No. 24 and No. 23. Not bad.

The White Shadow (originally aired 1978-81): Like several other MTM Enterprises shows, this series received critical hosannas but didn’t score well in the ratings. Nevertheless, this CBS drama about a high school basketball team in inner-city Los Angeles has a cult following, and the first two seasons were put out in 2005 and 2006 by 20th Century Fox. I even remember seeing a tease that the third season was to be released (this might be on the Season 2 set; I can’t recall), but it never happened. All three seasons can be streamed on HuluPlus, but as a completist I’d love to see that third season get a DVD release.

L.A. Law (originally aired 1986-94): I was really surprised that this NBC legal series -- a four-time Emmy Award winner for Outstanding Drama Series, tying it with “Hill Street Blues,” “The West Wing” and “Mad Men” for the all-time record -- hadn’t been released on DVD in the United States until Shout! Factory swooped in and released the first three seasons in a seven-month span in 2014. Here’s hoping that Shout! can continue to put out this series on DVD, all the way through Season 8.

Picket Fences (originally aired 1992-96): This CBS drama about the residents and bizarre happenings of Rome, Wis., was created by David E. Kelley, who had made his name as a writer and producer for L.A. Law. “Picket Fences” never rose higher than No. 61 in the Nielsen ratings during its four seasons, but it won 14 Emmy Awards, including two for Outstanding Drama Series. The first season was shipped to stores in 2007 by 20th Century Fox, but there’s been nothing since. I think this show deserves better.

Room 222 (originally aired 1969-74): Created by James L. Brooks (of “Mary Tyler Moore,” “Lou Grant,” “Taxi,” etc. fame) early in his career, this half-hour drama focused on an American history class at the fictional Walt Whitman High School in Los Angeles. Located in Room 222, the class was taught by the idealistic Pete Dixon, who gave his students gentle lessons in tolerance and understanding. The first two seasons of this ABC series were released on DVD by Shout! Factory in 2009 and 2010, but the show has stalled ever since. Consider this a call for the final three seasons to be released.

Family (originally aired 1976-80): This ABC drama about a middle-class couple and their family living in Pasadena, Calif., received critical praise but had relatively low ratings (notice a pattern here?). In 2006, Sony Pictures Home Entertainment released the first two seasons of this show in one package. Here’s hoping that the remaining three seasons are given the DVD treatment someday as well.

The Paper Chase (originally aired 1978-79, 1983-86): This drama, based on the novel and movie of the same name, followed the lives of James T. Hart (played by James Stephens) and his classmates at a law school based on Harvard’s. The first season originally aired on CBS, with the excellent John Houseman reprising his role from the movie as Charles Kingfield, an ultra-demanding professor. The TV show was canceled after one season, then brought back to life in 1983 on the pay-cable network Showtime (Stephens and Houseman returned in their roles), where it ran for three more seasons. The first two seasons of this excellent show were released in separate packages in 2009 by Shout! Factory. I would love to see Shout! (preferably) or another company release the final two seasons.

Diff’rent Strokes (originally aired 1978-86): Not a critically acclaimed series but nonetheless highly entertaining, this sitcom ran on NBC from 1978 to 1985 and was given another year of life by ABC from 1985 to 1986. Again, this show wasn’t an award-winner, but it did introduce us to the precocious Gary Coleman, who really was a comedic talent. I remember “Diff’rent Strokes” being in heavy syndication when I was growing up in the 1980s, much like “The Facts of Life.” The first two seasons of “Diff’rent Strokes” were released in 2004 and 2006, respectively, by Sony Pictures Home Entertainment. The show stalled for a while, then was picked up by Shout! Factory for Seasons 3 and 4 in 2012. But now there appears to be another stall. “The Facts of Life” recently received a complete-series box set from Shout! Maybe they could provide the same treatment for the eight-season “Diff’rent Strokes”?

Hart to Hart (originally aired 1979-84): This hour-long ABC show starring Robert Wagner and Stefanie Powers as Jonathan and Jennifer Hart, a wealthy couple who moonlight as amateur detectives, seemed to be in danger of stalling on DVD, but Shout! Factory (who else?) has jumped in and it seems like there’s a good chance that all five seasons will be released. Sony Pictures Home Entertainment put out the first two seasons in 2005 and 2006, and Shout! Factory came to the rescue with Seasons 3 (late 2014) and 4 (due in February 2015). Let’s hope they can release the final season, too.

CHiPs (originally aired 1977-83): An hour-long, light-action show that aired six seasons on NBC, “CHiPs” has had a weird DVD release history. The first two seasons hit store shelves in 2007 and 2008. Then there was no movement for years until Warner announced that it was picking up the series again and that the third season would be released in March 2015. Let’s hope that the trend will continue going forward for the show that followed the lives of motorcycle police officers Frank “Ponch” Poncherello and Jon Baker of the California Highway Patrol.

Archie Bunker’s Place (originally aired 1979-83): This CBS show was a spin-off and continuation of the immensely popular “All in the Family” (1971-79), which ranks among the best and most influential sitcoms of all time. While “Archie Bunker’s Place” wasn’t nearly as good as the original series and didn’t feature Jean Stapleton after its first season (the Edith character passed away at the beginning of Season 2), I’d argue that all four seasons of “Archie Bunker’s Place” should be released to complete the “All in the Family” 13-season story arc on DVD. The spin-off series was primarily set in Archie Bunker’s Place, the neighborhood tavern in Queens that Archie Bunker purchased at the beginning of Season 8 of “All in the Family.” The Nielsen ratings for “Archie Bunker’s Place” might be better than many remember, as it finished 11th, 13th, 12th and 22nd in its four seasons. Only the first season of “Archie’s Bunker Place” has been released on DVD, in 2006 by Sony Pictures Home Entertainment.

Early Edition (originally aired 1996-2000): This is simply a favorite of mine that I wouldn’t mind seeing released in full on DVD. The CBS hour-long drama was set in Chicago and followed the adventures of a man (Gary Hobson, played by Kyle Chandler -- who later played coach Eric Taylor on “Friday Night Lights”) who mysteriously receives each Chicago Sun-Times newspaper the day before it is published, and who uses that knowledge to prevent terrible events each day. “Early Edition” never ranked higher than 48th in the Nielsen ratings, but surely I can’t be the only one who liked this series. The first two seasons (by CBS/Paramount in 2008 and 2009) have been released to date.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
    zebop, RickH, AndrewS and 4 others like this.
  2. Benno123

Benno123 Forum Resident

I would like to see the final season of Rhoda and both seasons of Phyllis get released. While Phyllis is just OK of a series it would still mean that the story arch from Mary Tyler Moore would be on DVD ... and some guest appearances by the Mary character would be out there, too!

steelydanguy likes this.
  3. amoergosum

amoergosum Forum Resident

...fixed it for you >>>

"It’s 2015, and these TV series should be out on Blu-ray"

erniebert, wayneklein and audiomixer like this.
  4. The last two seasons of "Mad About You".

Not the best material of the series, but I rather take a mediocre season of MAY than a good season of most modern sitcoms.

Jarleboy and steelydanguy like this.
  5. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Forum Resident

I keep hoping to see The Magician with Bill Bixby someday.

Mark

wayneklein, RickH, Isaac K. and 2 others like this.
  6. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

77 Sunset Strip

clhboa, billh, Alan G. and 1 other person like this.
  7. rjp

rjp Senior Member

boston legal - a box set of the entire series. you can buy seasons, but not the whole thing,

8. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

As far as I know, Head of the Class is not on DVD or Blu Ray either. It was a better than average sitcom, on air for 5 seasons.

9. Jim Pattison

Jim Pattison Forum Resident

The Days and Nights of Molly Dodd (originally aired 19887-1991, NBC and Lfetime) with Blair Brown

zebop and JeffreyB like this.
  10. powerq

powerq Forum Resident

Stark Raving Mad could be the only Tony Shaloub project that is not on dvd.

11. PearlJamNoCode

PearlJamNoCode Forum Resident

"It’s 2015, and these TV series should be out on multiple streaming platforms"

Tex_Writer likes this.
  12. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

Frank's Place.

I know, music issues. But a man can dream, can't he?

PonceDeLeroy and steelydanguy like this.
  13. Veltri

Veltri ♪♫♫♪♪♫♫♪

I've been watching Diff'rent Strokes on Netflix recently, but a box set would be great to have, especially if they can dig up interview or on set footage.

14. Torontotom

Torontotom Forum Resident

227. Love that show.

Amen with Sherman Hemsley.

Valerie/Valerie's Family/The Hogan Family (will probably NEVER happen due to the Valerie Harper lawsuit).

Bobby Buckshot and steelydanguy like this.
  15. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

It's 2015 and these TV series should be out on Holographic 360! ;)

16. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

I would like to have The Drew Carey Show on DVD.

They put season 1 out, but stopped there.

Benno123 and deadbirdie like this.
  17. jupiter8

jupiter8 Senior Member

I'd like to see the Cinemax SCTV episodes + more complete SNL seasons

JeffreyB and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  18. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

Ed, the bowling-alley lawyer show. Given that the series aired in the DVD era, it would seem that its creators totally effed up in the music-rights department.

JeffreyB, wayne66, jriems and 2 others like this.
  19. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

20. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

You do know there's a Delete button, right ?

21. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

Has The Gong Show (70s version) ever been released on DVD?

22. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

:unhunh: I disagree John.

23. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

:D I disagree John.

24. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

Another forgotten '80s favorite: The Slap Maxwell Story.

Throw in Surfside Six and Hawaiian Eye, while we're at it.

PonceDeLeroy likes this.
  25. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

Murphy Brown Werewolf the Tv series it was going to be released
    But, Mike Rutherford being asshat.

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.