Did I screw up? (Rolling Stones - Sticky Fingers LP)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SimplyOrange, Jan 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SimplyOrange

SimplyOrange Forum Resident Thread Starter

Went to my local record shop and saw a Monarch pressing of Sticky Fingers. Now I thought the catalog number said 59100, but when I got home, I discovered it was the 1977 COC 39105 reissue.

Please be honest: does it sound as good? I paid $50 for it, did I waste my money?

On another note: I later discovered that I did in fact have a Monarch COC 59100 laying in an old pile of records. Though out of ignorance at the time I purchased it, which was several years ago, I left it lying about (thinking it was defective, when it actually wasn't) and it got scratched up.

Thoughts? Should I exchange the record?

Edit: Maybe I should've made my title more specific. If a gort could correct that, it would be much appreciated.

2. nuclear_error

nuclear_error Forum Resident

My personal opinion is paying more than $10 for any NM copy of Sticky Fingers w/o a working zipper is nuts

3. SimplyOrange

The zipper works. I'm more concerned about the sound though.

Heck, I've got about 5 zipper covers. Haha :D

Adam9 and gregorya like this.
  4. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

I certainly can't complain, mine was 50 cents. :p (I found it at a thrift store; the zipper was hanging out and needed glued back in, but now it works fine.)

5. SimplyOrange

But isn't the Monarch pressing considered the "holy grail?" Or am I missing something here. :confused:

6. GerryO

GerryO Senior Member

Always keep the zipper down.

AlienRendel and Satchidananda like this.
  7. SimplyOrange

Except at church on Sundays, heh.

iggyd, boggs, DirkGentlyUK and 3 others like this.
  8. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

The very best Sticky Fingers I've heard is the original Monarch pressing with "DIST. BY ATCO" on the labels. That version is not especially common, and possibly all copies suffer damage on the vinyl from the zipper. I've never encountered a true 100% near mint copy of that pressing. And generally when a clean first press Monarch can be found, they could be over the $50 mark. Even the used record stores are getting wise to the demand. But the "Dist. by Atco" press does sound great, the guitars at the beginning of "Can't You Hear Me Knocking" are especially vibrant.

The later Monarch pressings can sound pretty good, and they are more easily found in near mint condition. It appears to me that the zippers have done less damage to the later pressings, perhaps the later LP's were packed or shipped differently from the factory.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2015
    Cassius and SimplyOrange like this.
  9. SimplyOrange

"Distributed by Atlantic Recording Corporation" here. I guess I don't have the grail after all, haha.

Thanks for the reply.

10. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

But how does it sound? It may not be the Grail, but I would expect your copy still sounds pretty good.

11. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Just looked at mine and it has Atco on the label but doesn't seem to be a Monarch unfortunately

12. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

Guys, all the early ones sound great. The one the OP bought was overpriced, but if it's NM it's almost as good as an early one, with less wear. So, not a terrible screw up by any means.

13. SimplyOrange

Early one sounds smoother to me imo. But whatever, just another addition to my collection. :)

For the record, the new one doesn't sound bad at all aside from some surface noise.

TLMusic likes this.
  14. jacethecrowl

jacethecrowl Forum Resident

what the hell? you're asking us how it sounds?! play the damn thing and try to get 50 bucks of pleasure out of it.

15. SimplyOrange

If you bothered to look at my post above you'd see that I listened to both.

I'm simply trying to get people's opinions regarding different issues of the album. No need to be rude.

If you don't like the topic, then don't reply.

16. John Grimes

John Grimes Forum Resident

Hey I got the same copy you got and I'm happy with it. It shouldn't cost 50. More like 25. For that later seventies pressing unless it was mint.

17. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

You have me beat by 1. original U.S., seventies Japanese, seventies German, eighties MFSL (re: the latter, working zipper or not, NOT MFSL's finest moment)...but wait, are we counting CD's as well?? I have two additional working zippers of those!! So I may have you beat, after all!!! Life be grand, ain't it?? :)

Marc Perman likes this.
  18. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

I had 2 copies (COC 59100 and COC 39105). I sold back the later pressing even though it was in better condition. The 59100 is a Preswell pressing and had more life and presence than the 39105. The later is likely cut from a tape copy from who knows what generation. It kind of sounded like a badly done modern reissue but it didn't sound horrible or anything, just kind of boring. I wish this lp could be reissued with care.

19. Engineer X

Engineer X Forum Resident

I had both, a COC 59100 and COC 39105. Both Near Mint, both Monarch pressings. In my case I liked the COC 39105 a little more, better quality vinyl, clearer with less distortion. Sold the COC 59100

20. vinylbeat

vinylbeat Forum Resident

I own an original Atco Dist. US Monarch, 1st press UK and 1st press German using UK stampers. They're all very good sounding, but the 1st press Monarch seems to have a bit more mojo happening IMO. My second favorite is the German. Very quiet playing surfaces and equal in sound to the UK. It's just a tad less exciting than the US Monarch.

The MFSL that I also own. Is an over EQ'd mess. With over bloated bass and bright top end. At least to my ears anyway. That said...I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they use the flat UK analogue master, like the Japan SHM SACD. If and when it's reissued on vinyl. Hopefully in the near future.

21. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

I think you just have put it on and crank it up....then decide personally if it was worth the 50. If it plays true NM, I would probably keep it.

Sometimes, just sometimes.....the pressing that is touted as the Holy Grail on here, isn't the best sounding version to me on my system. You just gotta listen.

klownschool, JL6161 and SimplyOrange like this.
  22. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

I've got the ’77 reissue w/zipper and that sucker sounds terrific. Much more likely to find one in minty condition than an original. It's not a Monarch pressing but I'm a skeptic about the supposedly maigcal fairy dust superiority of Monarchs. The work of art in the age of mechanical reproduction and the stamping out of identical mass-manufactured products is moe relevant than the oft-imaginary gourmet artisanal terroir of this or that 70’s-era hissing, clattering, grease-pit blue-collar pressing plant.

bzfgt, Matt Starr, JL6161 and 2 others like this.
  23. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

Another great one to look for is the US Sonic (SO) original. I have this and a Monarch (MO) and they both have the magic.

ODShowtime and KipB like this.
  24. SimplyOrange

Some great points here. I just found out that I have an original Presswell, so I'll have to give that a spin.

As Stone mentioned, I never understood why Monarch is sometimes considered superior. I've even experienced that with the first Doors album. Did they do something differently from the other plants around that time?

To each their own though. We all have different ears and stereos.

Aftermath and jon9091 like this.
  25. SimplyOrange

Just an update: the PR COC 59100 original sounds much better to my ears. Equal to the Monarch too.

I ended up returning the reissue, too much noise for the price I paid.

Aftermath and jon9091 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.