Last audio gear purchase you made that was a complete gamechanger

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Benefactor, Jan 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Hard to believe it's been about a dozen years, but this gadget:

http://www.cnet.com/products/cd3o-c300/

First 802.11b wireless music streaming device. Completely changed how I listened to music, after prompting me to rip my entire library.

Before that, probably my first portable CD player capable of playing mp3 CDs. Nothing like being able to cram an entire artist's catalog onto a single disc or so.

Most of my other purchases have been evolutionary, but those two devices - which I got within a couple of years of each other - were revolutionary.

(I was late to the iPod party - I only picked one up in 2006 or thereabouts, long after I'd already ripped my library for the cd3o and - when that device finally flaked out - moved on to a streaming device from Linksys and, later, an AirPort Express.)

Mike-48 and Benefactor like this.
  2. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Game changer? A change in attitude on my part. I looked at doing things differently in my setup that went against the grain of my and traditional audiophile thinking for years. Centralised everything around an excellent Onkyo AV amp and took it from there.

3. russk

russk Forum Resident

Biggest game changer for me was deciding to get a Surface Pro 3 with Media Monkey and a Peachtree DAC ITx. Computer Audio completely changed how I source and listen to my music. The convenience and sound quality are ridiculous.

The odd thing was it even got me listening to my LPs more and caused me to upgrade my table which has lead to a love/hate relationship with a Rega RP6

4. Dozey

Dozey Active Member

Naim NDS streamer. No cds in the listening room, and the sound is on a par with my vinyl.

5. The Good Guy

The Good Guy Forum Resident

Buying Vincent SP991 Monoblocs off my friend. Every single recording has sounded better be it CD/LP or Tuner .

Johnny Vinyl likes this.
  6. rjp

rjp Senior Member

my klipsch.

7. LeeH

LeeH Active Member

Audionote Empress Silver Monoblocks

8. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

Ortofon Quintet Black

Thiel cs 1.6

9. Kristeva

Kristeva Forum Resident

I bought a decent MC cartridge for my TT and then decided to invest in a couple of Lundahl step up transformers - the journey into MC/SUT is just completely on another planet.

Sailfree, raferx and FLEMKE like this.
  10. Tannoy DMT 15 IIs - first big leap forward in my system

Audio Technica AT150MLX - phono cart - second major upgrade

everything else I've upgraded (including going from the AT cart to an EMT) has just been a refinement.

I'm still waiting for my Shindo CC80 amps to arrive - so we'll see what happens when I get to hear them...

11. judge56988

judge56988 New Member

Maybe not quite in line with the question but... getting a car with an hdd based music system. Pretty common place now but oh the joy of not having a heap of CD's (or worse - cassettes) rattling around in the car. I listen to a lot more music and a lot less radio.

Mike-48 and HiFi Guy 008 like this.
  12. nm_west

nm_west Forum Resident

It's been seven years, but switching from solid state to hollow state clinched the deal.

raferx likes this.
  13. Vernoona

Vernoona Well-Known Member

yeah red wine makes everything sound better ;)

Humbuster and raferx like this.
  14. Mike-48

Mike-48 A shadow of my former self

For me, it was a PS Audio PWD-II with Network Bridge. This was a game changer in that I started ripping my CDs and using networked audio. Eventually, I got sick of the lack of gapless playback on the Bridge, so I sold it. Still, it was the one that got me started with streaming audio.

15. Wngnt90

Wngnt90 Forum Resident

My Cambridge Audio DAC...also my Cornwalls.

thewho likes this.
  16. apesfan

apesfan "Going Ape"

My game changer would be a mixture of a few commonality components.
    First the Vincent 236 mkll then rollin to NOS tubes from the 50s.
    Changed everthing I ever thought since I was 7 years old and loved my families tube console and Grandfathers Fisher 500b?
    Then the Kef r400b subwoofer that is a marvel of great deep sound and original deseign.
    All this made me a new audiophile , one I thought would never happen.
    Take care John M.

17. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

Adding the Pure Music app to my Mac. Makes 320 AAC sound warm.

18. FrankieP

FrankieP Forum Resident

My Dynaudio BM6A MKIII monitors.

19. Don Parkhurst

Don Parkhurst Forum Resident

That is very true! I was the one that he gave the wine to, so all I can say is yum! And thanks Rafe!

20. Don Parkhurst

Don Parkhurst Forum Resident

By the way, my new tube integrated amp (Meishu) is a game changer for me. Most fun I have had in years with Hifi!

21. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

For me it's the Wharfedale Jade 5 speakers. Now it's: "here's the sound you're giving me" not "here's what I think it should like".

22. F1 Power

F1 Power Well-Known Member

If we talk the game changer that takes your listening to a new level with no return, it must have been going from single end to fully balanced setup.
    From source all the way trough amps, cables to the speaker voice coile.
    The drop in noisflor and the extension of soundstage and dynamics is beyond comparison to just simply change to a better amp, cable or speaker and so on.
    It is like the hole system act as one, rather than individual components.

//F1

23. ShallowMemory

ShallowMemory Classical Princess

My Fiio x3. Not just it's great sounding portable dap, the very real replacement for my much loved MiniDisc units in the download age but it allows me to enjoy HD audio on the main rig thanks to the excellent dac and line output stage. Now that's digital done right to my ears.

Benefactor likes this.
  24. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

I can imagine that would do it.

25. geoffr

geoffr Lifeguard in a carwash

My 1st tubed component. All tubular now, in 3 systems.

Sailfree likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.