Elvis Presley FTD CD reissues (part 5)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hodgo, Dec 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thanks, Shawn and Andy! I'm now going to order both "G.I. Blues" and "Cafe Europa - G.I. Blues Vol. 2" as well as the complete American Studios trilogy FTD's. That's another five FTD's going to someone who isn't even supposed to be a collector of them! :rolleyes:

2. Glad to be of help! I'm trying to wait for a sale @ ShopElvis.com before ordering the Christmas Album and Flaming Star FTDs but I'm not sure I can hold out that long.

3. heatherly

heatherly Well-Known Member

The mixes aren't anywhere near great but I like most of them. The original mixes themselves leave a lot to be desired IMO.

What I really really want to hear are the American Sound masters remixed by someone like Vic Anesini. Pipe dream I'm sure....

4. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

The remixes are pretty awful, especially the hideous remix of "Stranger in My Own Home Town" that leads off the album. Horns and drums way too loud, too much echo, Elvis's voice buried... it sounds like Elvis is singing from the bottom of a well. The Memphis Record was actually my first exposure to most of the American tracks, and I remember what a revelation it was a few years later when I heard the original mix of "Stranger." It was comparable to the first time I heard the British version of "I Feel Fine" after years of listening to the awful Dave Dexter American version. I'd quibble with some of the track selections and sequencing too... the second record is too ballad heavy, and I think "The Fair is Moving On" and "Inherit the Wind" are two of the weaker tracks and could have been replaced by something better. Putting them back-to-back underlines that, and grinds the record to a halt.

GroovinGarrett likes this.
  5. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

Those are 5 GREAT FTD's!

I was REALLY hesitant to get the "G.I. Blues" and "Cafe Europa" sets because I wanted to stick to the classic album series and live multi-tracks. I did not want to go down the soundtrack or soundboard wormhole. However, after reading the reviews on here I decided that there were at least a few titles that were worth it. The only danger, for me, is feeling like I have to now get ALL the soundtracks. So far so good though.

The soundtracks that I have got are the two volumes of "Jailhouse Rock", the aforementioned "G.I. Blues" sets, and "Blue Hawaii". I'm glad I have them. You will get a kick out of the two soundtracks you're about to buy. Lots of variety and surprisingly strong material for an Elvis soundtrack.

The three Memphis FTD's are absolute must-haves. Once they are in your possession you'll be shocked you ever questioned getting them. They are the crown jewel of the entire FTD experience thusfar.

6. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

The insane amount of quality en route to you right now creates unavoidable requirements:

1) Find out what day they are arriving
    2) Take that day off from work
    3) Grab a 6 of Newcastle Brown
    4) Sit back, listen, immerse, enjoy - all day long

:)

7. artfromtex

Fixed that for ya! ;)

8. MEMPHISSUN

MEMPHISSUN Forum Resident

9. And to add to everyone's expenses, the Stay Away, Joe FTD dovetails in nicely with Guitar Man FTD.

10. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff Thread Starter

The 50's soundtrack albums are all full of strong material and because they are so strong I basically just view them as normal albums.

The sixties soundtracks are a different beast altogether with GI Blues/Cafe Europa, Blue Hawaii and Stay Away Joe being the only essential ones in the catalogue. Like you I'm only interested in the "Classic Album" releases, I've no interest in Elvis live after 1970 and certainly no interest in the endless soundboards, there are though two exceptions, these being "The Return To Vegas" and "On Stage Season", both of which I've heard on YouTube and they both sound pretty top notch to these ears.

11. artfromtex

Those are the two soundboards that I bought! They are really good. The version of "Mystery Train" on "The Return To Vegas" sounds a lot like the Sun original. It's cool.

hodgo likes this.
  12. hodgo

As soon as money allows I'll be grabbing these two because they seem to have great sound and energetic performances from Elvis who sounds in top form.

13. artfromtex

Elvis is definitely energetic and sounds great. The sound can be uneven on those, they are definitely not audiophile by any means. For soundboards they are good. But you're getting them for the performances which are very strong.

14. GroovinGarrett

GroovinGarrett Mrs. Stately's Garden

What? No Minnesota Moment? Nevada Nights? Takin' Tahoe Tonight? :laugh:

You're not missing much. I finally wised up and quit buying post-'70 soundboards with 3000 South Paradise Road. No Sold Out, no Destination USA, no Elvis in Florida.

hodgo likes this.
  15. hodgo

I agree the sound seems a bit up and down, but going by what I'm hearing on you tube they still come across as highly listenable and certainly seem good enough to stand up to repeated listening.

16. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

Even while auto-tuned, digital clones surround us, there's also a lot people who don't want so much perfection. There's a lot interest in rawness, even lo-fi edginess -- perhaps as a reaction to the bit-perfect robotics that have destroyed genres like country radio.

Hearing Elvis in the studio -- actually working -- puts peoples back in touch with their "human ancestry!" :laugh:

Rick H., JLGB and S. P. Honeybunch like this.
  17. Pants Party

Wow... a lot of posts I've missed here...

This is an exciting development right here!!! Congrats on the bounty heading your way!! Those GI sets are so loveable -- they bring a smile to my face just thinking about them. The silly soundtracks at their most sincere.

And it's been too long since I've played my American Sound Trilogy... so that's gonna need to be rectified!! Let me fix a drink real quick....

:cheers:

artfromtex and SteveM like this.
  18. Pants Party

:agree: To me, Stay Away Joe is essential.

Is it really "essential" I can't say from my vantage point. But I play it straight through every time I play it. Just love it.

One's mileage will likely vary, as they say. But it's a prime example of why FTD is one of the best things ever. Maybe I just really like late-60s westerns on a Saturday afternoon. But, it's the soundtrack I play most often.

[​IMG]

19. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

"Stay Away Joe" might be my favorite FTD of all time. It's a party in a cardboard sleeve! The outtakes are hilarious. I play it all the time. It's just so much fun. And I love the Jerry Reed cuts anyway, so I consider this "Guitar Man Vol. 2". "YOU SHUT YOUR DAMN MOUTH!"

20. I only have "Return To Vegas" of these two but I have to say the sound is pretty awful and I've struggled through it twice but won't ever listen to it again. In fact, do you want my copy?

Soundboards are definitely not for me.

21. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

That's a shame because the performance on that one is tops.

GroovinGarrett likes this.
  22. I have always loved "Tomorrow Is A Long Time" CD, it's one of the best pre-comeback material compilations in existence and when "Guitar Man" FTD came out I rushed out to replace it but was disappointed that the Reed cuts were missing. They are some of my favourites. However I still have them elsewhere so what makes "Stay Away Joe" such a great FTD? I do actually really like the film - it is the only late period Elvis film that I've bothered to buy a copy on DVD

23. I appreciate the performance is good but to my ears is nigh indistinguishable from any other '69 show I've heard to date and I've heard 5 so far. My favourite by some margin is "Hot August Night" - the sound, the mix, the mastering, the performance, the whole package is top drawer quintessential live Elvis.

24. hodgo

I've only heard these through my PC speakers, they are good but I'll have play through my Hi-Fi and really check the sound on these now, thanks for the info and offer though I'm not sure I can afford it right now anyway!

25. JLGB

JLGB Senior Member

"Return To Vegas" is probably the best available 1969 live performance. Imo sounds great for a soundboard. Although the mix sounds like one channel of a stereo recording converted to mono.

Mike dk and Mr. H like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.