Footage Of The Beatles Jan 28 1969 At Apple - Get Back Playback

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jl151080, Jan 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member Thread Starter

Nor sure if this has been posted before:

2. Stan94

Stan94 Senior Member

Thank you, I'd never seen this before. Who are the guys in the control room?

jl151080 likes this.
  3. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

Great stuff! Thanks for posting. Who else is in the control room?

jl151080 likes this.
  4. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

One of my favorite Beatles singles. It is an example of why sometimes take one, or take two is not it, and playing it a hundred times can make a track sound so effortlessly tight. They played this many takes until it gelled just right. Hit #1 no problem. Such a perfect double A sided 45, and it still seems a perfect follow up to the White Album. It could have come from the WA,

ParloFax likes this.
  5. Jerquee

Jerquee Take this, brother, may it serve you well.

Looks like Glyn Johns behind the board.

6. slane

slane Forum Resident

Actually a regular single with one A-side.

Yes Glyn is there, as well as director Michael Lindsay-Hogg. Not sure who Paul is talking to.

7. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Great stuff indeed...I have an old VHS tape with about 90 minutes of black footage including this..so now, we can ask altogether: where IS that great deluxe, remastered Let It Be bluray that's going to include some of this ??

8. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Actually all singles are issued with an A since and a B side. But it is the rise in stature after the fact that brings a single to the "Double A" status.

This is often when both songs become hits and drive sales of the 45 with radio play. The Beatles have quite a few of these Double As in fact. But it's not a term I often see used as an official release type.

Penny Lane / Strawberry Fields Forever
    Honky Tonk Woman / YCAGWYW
    Laughing / Undone
    Bad Moon Rising / Lodi

I place in this special catagory.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2015
  9. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Wonder why so many of the outtakes that surface are B&W when the sessions were filmed in colour (British spelling somehow seems appropriate)

10. Stu66

Stu66 Forum Resident

Most likely a typo on your part but it was Strawberry Fields Forever on Penny Lane's flip side. Or perhaps you were thinking of Hello Goodbye /I Am The Walrus

11. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Thanks for correction. There might still be time to edit my glitch.

But yes SFF and Hello Goodbye are both as well about as close to a double as it gets.

12. graystoke

graystoke Forum Resident

Denis O'Dell, head of Apple Films and one of the Apple Corps directors.

[​IMG]

slane likes this.
  13. graystoke

graystoke Forum Resident

Lindsay-Hogg certainly looks like his father Orson Welles in that clip. I hadn't seen a clear front-on shot of him up to now.

BurgerKing likes this.
  14. Gary7704

Gary7704 Chasing that sound….

Thanks for that. I found that increadably interesting.

jl151080 likes this.
  15. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Has it been confirmed that Wells was his father? Last I heard it was supposed and suggested but not certain.

16. applejam101

applejam101 Humble Fan

I believe Yoko had her own cameraman filming and the B/W shots are from her film. But correct me if I am wrong.

Rfreeman likes this.
  17. ralph7109

ralph7109 Forum Resident

They looked like they were having fun - even George.

Then again, they weren't playing and about to go home.

And I agree - where is our deluxe Let It Be film?

18. amcaudio

amcaudio Forum Resident

back in the 80's i had the pleasure of working on a project with Michael Lindsay-Hogg for a few weeks. With all my presumed knowledge of musical history ,
    i never put him together with TOTP or Rock and Roll Circus or Let It Be he once referenced his rock and roll past and said we would talk about it another day, sadly
    that never occurred . I kicked myself when i put it all together..

19. muffmasterh

muffmasterh Forum Resident

so in other words you have decided that it is a double a side then ...

zobalob and slane like this.
  20. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Hard to make out what anyones talking about. Wonder what George is exactly suggesting to Paul? Paul has this "Uh huh...ok" kind of look to him in response.

I suppose it was cramped up in that booth because it was a playback. I think George is sitting on a cigarette disposal. Kind of funny how later they were treated practically like royalty; but they just seem like a bunch of blokes in a room with other guys here.

21. graystoke

graystoke Forum Resident

Not certain by DNA but supported by Gloria Vanderbilt, a friend of his mother.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Lindsay-Hogg

22. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

No, as far as the Beatles are concerned, the double A sided single was invented in December 1965 as a compromise between George Martin, Brian Epstein, Paul, George, Ringo and NEMS who all wanted We Can Work It Out to be the A side, and John Lennon who wanted Day Tripper to be the A side. It was the first designated Double A side (not just by The Beatles, the first ever), and promoted and advertised as such. It was a bit of a moot point, as The Beatles always played both sides of their singles on TV, radio and on tour anyway (I Want to Hold Your Hand, This Boy; Can't Buy Me Love, You Can't Do That; A Hard Day's Night, Things We Said Today; I Feel Fine, She's a Woman; Help!, I'm Down), as indeed they did with this one.
    Any feeling about the retrospective nature of hit driven DoubleAs is 70s territory, by which time DoubleA's were common, and some of Elvis's 50s hits were re-considered as Double A's as the disc was often flipped and the B side became just as played on air or requested at stores. But no single was officially called a Double A side before December 1965.

23. graystoke

graystoke Forum Resident

Paul's constant threading of his hair through his fingers (it happens all through the Let It Be film as well) annoys the hell out of me!

irender likes this.
  24. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

And who's idea was the beard? Paul must have thought it made him look more sophisticated or something. And he shaved that thing off right after the last sessions on January 31, 1969. Such a ham. He only did it for the film.

;) Arnie

tdgrnwld likes this.
  25. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

No, these are all from the official Lyndsay Hogg films, just black and white viewing copies. Yoko didn't have her own cameracrew there. A French Canadian TV crew filmed a sequence with John and Yoko at some point but not The Beatles.

PhoffiFozz and Rfreeman like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.