Your short list of most iconic audio products

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Tim 2, Jul 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE Thread Starter

:doh:

2. dividebytube

dividebytube Forum Resident

In no particular order:

Altec-Lansing VoTT
    Altec-Lansing 604 driver
    Quad ESL-57 or 63
    Dynaco 70
    Marantz 8B or 9
    McIntosh 50W-1 or 50W-2
    Harmon-Kardon Citation I
    Harmon-Kardon Citation II
    Eico HF-60
    Grommes 260A
    Mark Levinson ML-2
    Heathkit W-2 / W-3 / W-5
    The Williamson amplifier design - copied and DIYed
    Threshold 400A
    Futterman H3
    Krell KSA100
    Audio Research ST-70-C3 / D-75
    Audio Research SP-3/SP-6
    Kef Q90 (first Uni-Q speakers)
    B&W 801
    VPI HW19 (Mark 1, 2, 3, and the Jr)
    Sota turntable
    Thorens TD-124 / 125 /etc
    Quad II
    Rega RP3

phew... I could go on here..

3. Tim 2

Like your list, very drool inspiring.
    But, the Krell KSA100 ?
    Do you not think the KSA50 was superior ? I owned both.

4. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

Before the Beomaster 2400, and its none remote controlled version, the 1900, all stereos, including theirs, were variations on boxes. It's not too much to say that it changed the consumer electronics industry. All stylish versions of a stereo came directly from this piece. In fact, it affected the entire consumer electronics industry. I think you can draw a direct line to early, innovative Apple designs like the Macintosh computer, from the Beomaster 2400.

The fact that they kept the design in two subsequent, ground up revisions, further cements its place as an turning point in audio. The changes were the opposite of skin-deep. By 1985, the Beomaster 3000 could drive 16 pairs of speakers in parallel and was capable of multi-room operation. Even the volume control on the 2400 was revolutionary. It varied the output of a light, which was picked up by an optical sensor, which raised or lowered its voltage depending on the intensity of the light, which changed the volume.

B&O is often looked upon as a pretty face but they are much more than that. They had the first time aligned speaker line in the world and did the original scientific research on that in the 1970s, proving that we could hear phase shifts of 60º at normal listening levels. Since then, B&O and others have discovered our ears are even more sensitive than that. Before B&O, phase response within a speaker box was considered unimportant. After their research, it was considered an essential consideration in speaker design. All tangential arm turntables after the Beogram 4000, introduced in 1972, used their way of moving the arm across the record. In the early 1980s, they were the first company to embrace multi-room audio and make a stereo control music throughout the house.

A definition of iconic is widely known for distinctive excellence. Among audio engineers and designers in the 1970s and '80s , that describes Bang & Olufsen, and the cusp for change within the company was the Beomaster 2400.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
    Shiver and Colin M like this.
  5. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

I think there's more of a direct line from Deiter Rams' designs for Braun electronics in the 1960s and '70 to Apple.

Ron P. and ggergm like this.
  6. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

The 1960s and '70s were certainly heady times for industrial and commercial design all over Europe, with the region finally coming out of the hardships caused by WWII. I love Deiter Rams' work and if people don't know it, they should. Thanks for mentioning him and you certainly do have a valid point. Below are a three of his designs.

I've also included a couple of pictures of other B&O products from that era. The last one, the Beomaster 4400, was to my knowledge the first stereo receiver that addressed TID (Transient Intermodulation Distortion), which was rampant back then with the rush to create ever lower harmonic distortion specifications. They measured great but sounded like crud. If anything contributed to bad transistorized sound, it was TID.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
    Bananas&blow, Ron P., Shiver and 2 others like this.
  7. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

What is your point here ?

8. My choices:

Technics 1200 turntable
    Shure SM58 microphone
    Sony V6 headphones

They're all indestructible workhorses.

(Except that I really did break my V6 headphones. I was DJing live on a carpeted surface, and zapped something in one of the headphone channels when I touched a metal part on my mixer. Static electricity? Who knows...)

Aftermath likes this.
  9. Tim 2

Sorry if I offended you, it was not my intension. It's sometimes hard to say what ones thinking without insulting someone, which by the way I never want to do.

I've owned the Oppo 103 and 105 and found them less than iconic, no real problems, but very average sounding.

Sorry again

Myke likes this.
  10. Tim 2

Good points.

11. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

12. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

Another one I should have added to my college dorms icon list along with the Klipsch Hereseys and the Nakamichi deck was the Technics SL-1700. That was the one everyone wanted back then even though it was only around for a few years... work horse and about as ubiquitous as anything on campus but for backpacks.

[​IMG]

timind likes this.
  13. Tim 2

Forgot about the IRS system, only saw pictures of it but it must of been grand. As I recall the late Harry Pearson had one.
    What do you do after a speaker system like that ?

McLover likes this.
  14. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

Correct. The designer Steve Jobs hired was from Germany and a Rams disciple.

15. Tim 2

Do you know what vintage that unit was ? Lots of unique ideas there. I believe it was a Canadian company.

16. McLover

McLover Senior Member

The Klipschorn, in production since 1948 and continuously improved subtly ever since. The longest continuous production run of any loudspeaker ever. Still among the finest high efficiency designs even now. A true Legend. The Technics SL-1200 Mk II, a turntable icon used by most every walk of life since the original model launched in 1972. The Shure M 44 cartridge lineup. Introduced in 1963 and except for a few years of unavailability, in production even now. Arguably the highest production run MM cartridge ever made. Still used by club and on air DJ, vintage record lovers, and used in jukeboxes even.

GuildX700 and Wngnt90 like this.
  17. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

The Garrard turntable dates it to mid-late 1960s I think.

18. VinylRob

VinylRob Forum Resident

Good thing Atma-Sphere OTL came along for me, don't think I have enough brass-in-pocket to try Futterman either...

19. The Entertainer

The Entertainer Forum Resident

The Player Piano
    Edison Phonograph
    Victrola
    Linn Sondeck LP12
    Technics SL1200
    Shure SM-57 and SM-58
    Sony MDR-7506 Headphone
    Sony Walkman
    Sony Discman
    Apple Ipod
    Beats Pill (Yes it's stupid, but people will probably remember this thing as iconic.)

In that order.

Aftermath, FS. and Tim 2 like this.
  20. Benefactor

Benefactor Forum Resident

Not sure about "iconic",...maybe just being nostalgic.

My first CD player, The Philips CD100

[​IMG]

McLover and crooner like this.
  21. rudyy

rudyy Active Member

Oppo universal disc player and Furutech GT40 MC/MM phono preamp/ADC/DAC/USB/headphone amp. Both eliminated the need for owning several other devices to do the same things, while minimizing the need for more wall outlets.

22. audioguy3107

audioguy3107 Forum Resident

That's pretty cool......looks like a fully featured answering machine! :D

23. crooner

crooner Tube Marantzed

Awesome!
    I use one regularly in my system and just picked up its gold finished sibling, the Marantz CD63. Both players I had imported from England.
    Beautiful machines and great sounding as well!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

CARPEYOLO and Tim 2 like this.
  24. Licorice pizza

Licorice pizza Livin’ On The Fault Line

Finally! Thanks for uploading that sexy babe now under the alias Pioneer plx-1000. ;)

25. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

I don't think that criteria works
    [​IMG]
    :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.