The Death Of Music Sales

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by alphanguy, Jan 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FrixFrixFrix

FrixFrixFrix Senior Member

Spelling errors aside, your information is simply wrong. Trust me, there's no threat of illegal file sharing going away anytime soon. You might not know where to find them, but they're out there. And this idea that people somehow covet hard drive space in an age when a terabyte costs less than your monthly phone bill is laughable.

There exist entire communities whose sole purpose is to collect, catalogue and make freely available every different version and rare pressing of every piece of recorded music ever released. And they're doing a damn good job of it. So no matter how much you'd love to fear monger everyone into continuing to purchase an outdated physical format based on speculation that streaming services will one day turn into some sort of oppressive digital boot stamping on a human face forever, forcing us all to listen exclusively to the new Imagine Dragons record on repeat, it's simply not a possibility.

EasterEverywhere likes this.
  2. xcqn

xcqn Audiophile

Im no anti-streamer. Im just saying in a very plausable future streaming is the only alternative. It may take 10 years but we will get to that point.

3. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

I didn't read it, but it's easy to go indie after a major has dumped millions into promoting you for years.

ian christopher likes this.
  4. Cracklebarrel

Cracklebarrel Forum Resident

Cue Scanners-esque head explosion.

5. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

I agree with your notion completely, and would say yes, do sell now while the market is there. I had a lot of valuable laserdisc titles that I could have sold for very good money at the the dawn of the DVD era. Now they're mostly worthless and taking up lots of room. Oh how I sometimes lament my attachments to physical items!

seed_drill likes this.
  6. alphanguy

alphanguy Forum Resident Thread Starter

If you want to PAY for something you don't use, then that's fine.. but that's one my biggest issues with streaming, I only pay for music I WANT, and nothing more. and once I pay for it, I can still play it when I'm 70 with no ONGOING costs.

The Trinity, jonathan and Peter Pyle like this.
  7. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

I still believe that from the standpoint of artists music as we know it is done for.
    I think very soon people will simply subscribe to their music, and instead of owning hard copies of it or even having digital forms of it on their computer, they will get it from "the cloud" or whatever it will be called, and it will be even more generic than now.
    The days of music stars is at its' end. When people get tired of the whole "image" thing, which is what music is about now, it will be over.
    Put the ear buds in, set your hand held magic device that holds your entire life and all of your entertainment to some general music description, and listen on to an indefinite array of faceless music providers.
    We could even get to the point where computers are doing entire compositions without the input of human minds.

8. Jack Flash

Jack Flash Forum Resident

9. alphanguy

alphanguy Forum Resident Thread Starter

10. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

That's not what I mean. All I'm saying is that reissues are helping with physical sales, even in a small way. By originals, I meant actual original pressings of classic albums vs. reissues, not new music.

11. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I have a number of laser discs as well. One difference of course is that streaming isn't of better quality the way DVD's were better than LD's. But the point is a good one. I should at least sell the SACD's I never listen to

12. vinylphile

vinylphile Forum Resident

I don't see it. I think physical media will still exist as a niche market - kinda like vinyl today (another format people thought dead 20 years ago).

The Trinity likes this.
  13. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

Streaming isn't better quality YET.

scobb likes this.
  14. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I set up my system for surround tonight, running through my old Denon AV amp. I just listened to In Time, REM's greatest hits from the Warner era, on DVD-Audio. It a very aggressive surround music, and it sounds amazing. I may be keeping some of these after all.

15. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

"1984" was far too optimistic.

16. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

This forum needs a doubleplusgood button.

17. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

I don't buy new music, so whatever they put it on (cd, records) really doesn't matter to me. There is so much music already on records (and cds) that I have not heard yet.

18. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

I think this says it all. Many of the forum-members have fond memories of buying records, living in the relevance of pop charts, the excitement of a new album by your favourite artist. But that party is, for the most part, over. It's not about the quality of the music; but the industry surrounding it is still coping with the 'damage' done by that monster called Internet. The era of the 45 (1955-1965), the 331/3 (1966-1980) and the cd (1983-2000) is over. Digital music sales are growing in number, but the spending on music is falling. [​IMG]

Robin L likes this.
  19. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Or use them as Frisbees... :shh:

20. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

A) Spotify is free B) Spotify, at $10 a month for no ads, is free, because when you divide $10 by 1 million albums, it turns out to be free.

Same with Tidal, when you do that math for even $20 a month.

21. No Static

No Static Gain Rider

I'm sitting here in the country this morning with my 1.5 (on a good day) download speed and a 5 gig data cap @ 50 bucks a month. Tell me, when will I get my high res affordable music streaming?

Recorded music, although more of it available and from more sources than ever, just isn't as important to the majority of people today as it was in the past. And that's OK. How someone else wants to listen to music has no bearing on how I'll listen today. Or tomorrow either.

Old Mac likes this.
  22. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Orwell was an optimist. Dystopias don't really hit their groove 'til A Scanner Darkly:

EasterEverywhere and wolfram like this.
  23. Veni Vidi Vici

Veni Vidi Vici Forum Resident

I'm struggling to see how more sales than ever plus lower costs to the consumer heralds the end of the good times. Seems more like the start of them. The doom-mongering on this issue - it's an age-old comfort of grumpy old men.

24. Cracklebarrel

Cracklebarrel Forum Resident

25. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

Agree. And there is definitely something wrong with this model. There needs to be a way these can be resold. Although the record labels will never go for it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.