"Stay With Me" sounds like a Tom Petty song...no, the other "Stay With Me"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by paulisme, Jan 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paulisme

paulisme I’m being sarcastic Thread Starter

I'm talking about the song by Ryan Adams on his self-titled album. Not only would it sound right at home on Damn the Torpedoes or Hard Promises, the guitar lick around the 1:08 mark is straight out of "Woman In Love." It's not a straight rip-off like the other "Stay With Me," but it sounds inpsired by Petty nonetheless (as do other songs on the same album). I guess if Tom Petty isn't going to make Tom Petty records anymore then someone else might as well pick up the slack.

wavethatflag likes this.
  2. paulisme

I speak the truth.

3. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

The title of this thread sounds like a Half Man Half Biscuit song.

4. Tony Sclafani

Tony Sclafani Forum Resident

Somewhere, Terry Adams is sitting at a keyboard shaking his head at all this:

5. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

The Empty Hearts' "I Don't Want Your Love" sounds somewhat like the "Stay With Me" most people think of..........

6. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

I agree. I've only listened to this album once, but he is channeling Petty on a few tracks. The problem with this for me is that I can imagine Petty singing those songs, and his voice is a bit more interesting (actually a lot more interesting) than Adams'. So really all I've learned from Adams new album so far is Petty-type songs should only be sung by Tom Petty. I wish Ryan had given Tom these songs because although I do like Tom's latests, Hypnotic Eye, Adams' Petty songs could have been some of the best Tom Petty output in years.

Are my comments too petty? :)

I'm a big fan of Adams, I really love Gold and Cold Roses and a lot of his other stuff, but this latest self-titled one is not one of his best. Maybe it'll grow on me with subsequent listening.

His latest does show once again that Adams has an uncanny ability to emulate classic artists without actually plagiarizing their work. That's a talent in itself.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2015
    paulisme likes this.
  7. paulisme

Ryan Adams is in a class of artists where almost every song has an element of sone other classic song that's instantly recognizable. Jenny Lewis is another one. While I still enjoy their music, in my mind there's always an asterisk by their names because of this.

8. INSW

INSW Senior Member

Add Lenny Kravitz to that list.

zen, Picca and paulisme like this.
  9. jpmosu

jpmosu a.k.a. Mr. Jones

I agree with the OP: Adams' "Stay With Me" could have been an outtake from Long After Dark.

Also, it's probably my least favorite song on Ryan Adams.

10. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

And Oasis

11. paulisme

The other Petty-influenced song on that album is "Gimme Something Good" which gets its main riff and overall feel straight from "You Tell Me." Sheryl Crow's "My Favorite Mistake" also borrows from that same song.

jpmosu likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.