Bought some ProAc Studio 140 Mk2 speakers...

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Shiver, Jan 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shiver

Shiver Forum Resident Thread Starter

Just bought a pair of ProAc Studio 140 mk2’s, and oh boy.

I’d months age demoed and been seduced by the ProAc Response D18s (whilst demoing them against some other speakers), and planned to look into trying them out again later this year and likely upgrading if they still stood out.

A local hifi store had a mint ex-demo pair of the 140s on offer so thought hmm and went down yesterday to try them out against the D18s. As well as hoping for a similar house voice, the 140s also spec a slightly greater frequency response range (25Hz-30kHz vs 30hz-30kHz) and increased sensitivity (91db vs 88db) – albeit in ProAc’s lower line.

Took a musical mate, my own amp (Cambridge 840A v2), and a stack of CDs (we used the store’s Audiolab 8200 CD)

We tried the D18s first, impressions were:
    • (playing Raising Sand, Bryter Layter, Automatic, Night of Hunters (Tori Amos), On the Beach, Closing Time, and Natalie Merchant (self-titled))
    • Still those gorgeous, full, detailed, blooming mids – textured voices
    • Sweet detailed treble
    • Fantastic presentation; projecting and holding a firm but soft-edged soundstage – but not forced or in your face
    • Bass was good but seemed a little less defined and oomphy than I remember.
    • But then we switched to Brothers in Arms album (few tracks), and strangely the magic went. They seemed to struggle and decent volumes and the presentation had a thinness and boxiness. We both thought the same. Odd.
    Switched to the 140s:
    • Still Brothers in Arms (few tracks)...
    • Immediately right. Fuller sound, larger, held soundstage, no less detail elsewhere. Energy. Real surprise
    • Then with the same albums/tracks as per the D18s...
    • Very similar gorgeous, sparkling highs as the D18s – just incredible detail on the strings and real resonating metallic shimmer to high-hats. Not bright though.
    • Mids – much fuller at higher volumes and with voices holding more space. Probably advantage to the D18s to mids at lower volumes where there was just that wee bit more vocal texture... but perhaps emphasised by the lack of bass...
    • Lows – fulsome and deep. Bass guitars, double bases, and pianos (inc Tori Amos’s thundering Bosendorfer) all came through so naturally and authoritatively. Actually stunning
    • Transparent impression – no apparent colouring from the speakers themselves. Really, really clear and no muddiness or glassiness.
    • Real texture and timbre
    • Freer, fuller soundstage that the D18s, which by comparison seemed more restrained to and defined by the speakers themselves – especially at higher volumes, where the 140s seemed far more in their comfort zones.
    So overall I, both of us in fact, preferred the 140s hands-down – irrespective of cost. Quite a surprise. A very pleasant one given the price difference. At least in that room with that amp.

The D18 was to us still a fantastic speaker but seemed probably better suited to (and perhaps better in) smaller rooms/lower volumes; but my lounge is a decent size and I really crank the system up sometimes. And again with a different amp it could be a different story.

Whilst there we also tried out some KEF R500s, which were in the demo room, and really weren’t that keen – flatter soundstage and to us they have a ‘sound’ just showed how transparent the ProAcs really are (YMMV etc). I could have sought other makes models out too, elsewhere, but I’ve heard quite a few speakers in this price range, and beyond, by now and none have both met my criteria and hit the spot like the 140s.

And if anything they sound even better now I’m playing them at home – had hours on them today. Couldn’t be happier. A cliché but it’s like having a whole new music collection. They look awesome too, especially in the dark mahogany veneer.

Few side notes:
    • Not sure if they’ll run-in much over time, being ex demonstration models with former use – will see
    • Really goes to show there’s no comparison for listening to something first hand, and ideally comparing with alternatives.
    • Also trying out a wide range of music really helps differentiate the speakers and show various strengths and weaknesses within each one
    • Compared to the speakers 140s have replaced – Castle Howard S1s: the ProAcs are basically better in every conceivable way, except the Howards have the most awesome bass feel -when really pushed, especially with pianos. I think it’s to do with the ‘quarter-wave’ bass port built in to the bottom of the Castles which essentially loads and augments the effect: bass emanating deeply and unflappably from the whole unit it seems. Could be quite astounding. But, it’s more naturally delivered from the 140s, clearer, and if anything deeper. The ProAcs are certainly shaper and have more life about them ad low-mid volumes.
    • Kudos to the store: Audio T in Preston. Great set of guys, good stock, nice listening room, and they can’t do enough for you. Have got a few things from them now but they treat you just as well as a stranger.

micdev42, Waxxy and sound chaser like this.
  2. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

Congrats! Enjoy and now its time to play some music!

Shiver likes this.
  3. Shiver

Thanks, and indeed! Listening to Alice (Tom Waits) as I write, it just sound epic.

Ntotrar likes this.
  4. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

5. Leigh

Leigh https://orf.media

I love my ProAc Tablettes!

sound chaser, shutdown66 and Shiver like this.
  6. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

ProAc Studio 140 mk2, Nice looking speaker as well.

[​IMG]

Shiver likes this.
  7. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

Congratulations, Shivermetimbers. My Studio 150s (a predecessor model to the 140 I believe) have served me well for more than 15 years. Only part of my system I've never seriously considered upgrading :agree:

Shiver likes this.
  8. Shiver

Excellent. Haven't had the chance to hear any Tablettes, but, reading around, they get some fantastic reviews and user recommendations.

9. Shiver

Yeah pretty sweet aren't they. And their elegant design hides their dimensions as such.

10. Shiver

Thank you. Only 2 days in to ownership but already feeling these will be long-termers. The 150s look sweet - glad they're still giving you what you want.

11. Leigh

Leigh https://orf.media

I love 'em. I have a pair of the original Tablettes (made in the 80s or early 90s) on my secondary system, with the Tablette Anniversary speakers on the good system. Both have a subwoofer, which is crucial for these small monitors, but I wouldn't have it any other way, I just love listening to these things!

Shiver likes this.
  12. shutdown66

shutdown66 Forum Resident

Me too.

sound chaser likes this.
  13. RalphNYC

RalphNYC Well-Known Member

I wish i had the room for 140s. But I'm thinking about the Tablette Anniversary for my small space.

14. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

Congratulations and thanks for the detailed review. ProAc makes great speakers and are the speakers of choice for many in my circle of audiophile friends in NYC (usually teamed up with Audio Research tube amplification). Doesn't making a really good audio purchase feel great (especially when it is a relative bargain)? Enjoy them in good health for a long time.

15. Shiver

Aye the 140s do need a bit of space around them. Interested to see if if you're able to compare the Tablettes against anything - whatever you end up with.

16. Shiver

Thanks Raylinds, I will. They're incredible. I'll do a longer-term write-up/review at some point. I don't plan (who knows) to change my amp for some time but when so will definitely be exporing the tube option, and the 140's sensitivity was appealing for this reason so it's interesting what you say. Cheers.

17. Novak

Novak Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing your impression. I am thinking about the system for hi-res audio formats based on ProAc studio series powered by the Parasound A52 multichannel amp (and Oppo BDP105 as source). Hope it will be good combination and good enough for stereo as well.

18. Shiver

Still a hearty recommendation for these speakers - the only real caveat being they aren't bass-shy and do need some space around them. Since this post I've changed to a PrimaLuna amp and that's brought even more life out of the 140s. Bonkers imaging capabilities.

19. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

Never heard of ProAc until I read this thread.

I am toying with the idea of replacing my Vandersteen 2 series with a smaller speaker.
    I wonder how the Studio 118 would fare against a similarly configured Harbeth.

Any thoughts are appreciated as I have not listened to either the Harbeth of ProAc.

20. sound chaser

sound chaser Senior Member

And me!

21. Shiver

I haven't heard any Harbeths, or the 118s, but would be really interested if you get to compare them at all. The 118s seem to get sound reviews, and 30 Hz is impressive depth.

22. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

There is no similarly configured Harbeth. The P3ESR, which is about the same price as the 118, is 'LS3/5a' sized meaning no real bass below 75hz, limited spl. And it's a fine speaker, don't get me wrong (I own a pair) but the 118 is a little bigger. The next biggest sized up Harbeth is four grand so there really is no 'similar' Harbeth to a pair of 118's.

I'm interested in the 118's myself but the new importer getting things sorted seems to be a hold up.

23. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

Local dealer informed me he may look at getting the line.

Shiver likes this.
  24. Waxxy

Waxxy Cold Turkey

I've been running an original set of 140s for several years now. They're keepers!

[​IMG]

timind, Juan Matus and Shiver like this.
  25. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

Before ultimately deciding on going the DIY route, I looked really hard at several ProAc ads on Agon. Beautiful speakers and almost universally well-received. Would still love to own a pair - maybe one day :)

Shiver likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.