What are your thoughts on "Cry of Love" & "Rainbow Bridge"?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JohnnyQuest, Jan 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crozcat

crozcat Forum Resident

Whacky...?
    I love it! :D

BIG ED likes this.
  2. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I love it too. I mean that the 67-68 period was such a wild, bonkers trip for all concerned.

monkees paw likes this.
  3. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

The Experience with Noel and Mitch may be more important historically, but from a musical standpoint, Mitch and Billy were a much better fit for Jimi.

COL and RB are fine albums. I like War Heroes and Loose Ends as well. I can see why the decisions were made on the posthumous releases to keep the flow of material coming.

Hutch, BIG ED, 1970 and 2 others like this.
  4. OneStepBeyond

OneStepBeyond Senior Member

I've always (since the late 80s anyway, when I got into Hendrix) known them in this form and not wanted to 'improve' them or have them any other way. I used to do a lot of tape compilations of certain artists but didn't see the point in chopping and changing anything here. Maybe Hear My Train A Comin' did feel a little out of place on RB, being a live track - but his playing is so incredible on it, there was no way in the world I would want to lose that. And I liked how Hey Baby followed on from it... the calm after the storm, if you like. :D

I was aware that there is a gap of a couple of years almost in some of the sessions and that was a tiny bit hard to reason why they'd do that until I started to read biographies and the like; then I just thought that they'd put the cream of his best left-over tracks out (both old and 'new') and I was more than happy to have them in whatever form and in whatever order they were presented. I never bought any later albums that had the tracks in a different 'context' as I was fine with things as they are (to repeat myself, sorry!)

Are they essential to me? As much as AYE, AXIS, EL and BOG are. Maybe not quite up to the standard of EL in particular but then I think he set himself such a high benchmark, he was obviously getting so much 'in the can' to top that very soon - we know quite a bit about this. Which fortunately for us, left us with a nice amount of wonderful songs after he sadly passed on.

If War Heroes were to be reissued (and just a year ago, there was no thought of COL or RB being) I would buy that in a heartbeat; it has less to offer but still has enough to warrant owning it - and I had two copies of it... had no idea these things were to be deleted.

5. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

You're welcome.

6. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

One of the purposed/possible track listings for the First Rays album also had tracks like Lover Man, Cherokee Mist, Midnight Lightning and Burning Desire included if I remember correctly.

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  7. alchemy

alchemy Forum Resident

Very well put. Back in the day, most of us would re jiggle the tracks to our preferred order to hear them. Love the old mix cassettes, I made. And CD-R.

As I see how the music end user is evolving (digital downloads either songs or Albums - you make the playlist), I want everything released in the best quality. Then let us decide the playlists. Many here have offered up superior playlist, including John, that trump the official releases.

While I care what Jimi's preferences where, he is long gone. So instead do others presenting what Jimi mat or may not have wanted, I want to use my own preferences.

BIG ED, crozcat and John Fell like this.
  8. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

I absolutely love Rainbow Bridge top to bottom. Cry of Love is a mixed bag, It contains three absolutely essential Hendrix tracks - "Ezy Ryder", "Freedom" & "Drifting"; a couple of very good Hendrix songs - "Angel" & "In from the Storm" and three OK Hendrix cuts - "Belly Button Window", "Night Bird Flying" & "Astro Man." The album is weighted down, however, by two of my least favorite Hendrix tracks ever - "My Friend" and the dreadful "Straight Ahead".

BIG ED and ParloFax like this.
  9. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

It's interesting that the 2 tracks you like the least were the last 2 added to replace Dolly Dagger and Roll Full Of Mirrors so they could be held back for Rainbow Bridge.

dino77 likes this.
  10. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

As we've learned, Jimi played Kramer the tape of My Friend during summer '70 and expressed his liking, which was probably why Kramer and Mitch included it on COL. I'm fond of it; it's obviously heavily inspired by the obscure wordplay of Dylan circa Highway 61 and Blonde on Blonde.

Straight Ahead is a fine, funky tune in search of convincing set of lyrics.

11. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I much prefer to have tracks like Look Over Yonder and My Friend on a release of earlier material as they really had nothing to do with where Hendrix was in his musical journey at that point in his life both thematically and musically.

skybluestoday likes this.
  12. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

Love em both but Cry of Love holds a special place in my heart. So many great songs on there to smoke a phattie and chill lol.
    The post above about having to seek out stuff on Jimi was still kind of the case in the late 1980s early 1990s. I felt my love for Col (and crash landing for that matter) made me different from most Hendrix fans who had only heard the Core 3. Different times for sure.

That being said, Hey Baby could very well be my favorite Hendrix tune

BIG ED and GuildX700 like this.
  13. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

There isn't a single filler track on either of these albums. Both essential and all of the tracks sound better than the same versions on FROTNRS.

BIG ED, Jimi Bat, KASHMIR and 2 others like this.
  14. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

A quick question: Was Warheroes the third in a row of those posthumus albums? I played the hell out of the Warheroes when i was young. Where does Loose Ends fit in?

15. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Same here!

Now, that's just crazy talk! :winkgrin:

16. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

War Heroes was released after Rainbow Bridge and Loose Ends was released after War Heroes.

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  17. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yes it was. Loose ends is the 4th release and last Hendrix studio album released posthumously by manager Michael Jeffery.

Kim Olesen likes this.
  18. Kim Olesen

Thanks. I have all of the 4 original posthumous albums on vinyl. But my record player havent seen action in 10 or so years. I remember them as better sounding than TFROTNRS. Were they different mixes?

19. One of my favorites too!

John McLaughlin quotes one bit from the introduction in "Miles Beyond" on The Mahavishnu Orchestra's "Birds of Fire" album. I have no source to back this up BTW, just my ears and knowing that Johnny was a fan of Jimi (...and so was Miles Davis, whom is another inspiration for the piece "Miles Beyond").

BIG ED and Erik B. like this.
  20. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident Thread Starter

You're better off asking John about mixes. I don't have the albums on Vinyl. I have purchased them through itunes. :hide:

Kim Olesen likes this.
  21. Kim Olesen

No harm in that. I buy tons of music on iTunes.

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  22. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

I am going to have to give that a listen

23. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

I heard it. Maybe subconsciously I had heard it before but couldn't quite place it.

24. It's the bit at the 0:28 mark. Compare with what the Mahavishnu does right at the conclusion of the introductory piano solo. Could also be a subconscious influence:

Erik B. likes this.
  25. Our posts crossed.

It took me very long to place it too! :O)

Erik B. likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.