The "Before" Trilogy (...Sunrise, ...Sunset, ...Midnight) coming to Criterion

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Bowie Fett, Jan 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

Why do you guys think Linklater had Julie Delpy topless for much of the final third of Before Midnight? I'm pretty sure it distracted me away from the fighting between Celine and Jesse, but I'm not sure that was the idea...

2. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

Hmm... the guy with the guitar and cat has to be Inside Llewyn Davis, no?

I see Harold Lloyd on the bridge. For Heaven's Sake or Speedy, maybe?

The Fisher King there in the boat?

3. deadbirdie

deadbirdie Senior Member

I know Kieslowski's Decalogue is supposed to get released on Criterion this year, but heck if I could identify it in that picture :p

The car on the bridge, Two Lane Blacktop?

Also, the upper right, another Harold Lloyd movie?

4. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

Already Criterion'd a couple years back. And it looks like a man and a woman in the car. Spielberg's The Sugarland Express, maybe?

5. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Love these movies and thrilled Criterion is putting them out. The second one is by far my favorite. The third one is a tough go for me- I admired it but not anxious to return.

6. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

I didn't mind. ;)

Monosterio likes this.
  7. Monosterio

Neither did I. But I'd still love to know whether it was Linklater's idea or hers. And if it was his idea, how did he justify it?

If she thought of it, I'm sure Linklater and Hawke said, "Sure, sure, you go right ahead and take it off. Great idea, Julie!" :D

Rooster_Ties likes this.
  8. Bowie Fett

Bowie Fett Forum Resident Thread Starter

Your answers (and a lot more) are in the 30 minute iTunes Q&A podcast recorded prior to the film's release. It'll make an excellent bonus feature on the upcoming Criterion release. Check it out!

9. Monosterio

Sorry, but I have no idea what that means. I'm from the '70s. :D

10. Bowie Fett

:D

Check my post, again. I hit the post tab by accident.

11. Monosterio

Got it. Thanks! :righton:

12. I was definitely wondering the same thing. Not that I minded, but I *definitely* wasn't expecting it.

Was it to show how real couples -- especially couples who have been together for some time -- can argue, even in a (semi-nude) situation like that (which is often WAY more complicated than typically shown on film).

I thought her toplessness with the dialogue as it was, definitely brought a degree of 'realism' to their relationship, and in a weird way, actually helped me suspend even more disbelief. Although, oddly enough, having MORE characters in the film (besides just the couple), with ALL that dialogue (and esposition), kind of brought down the degree of realism for me (at least in terms of what I was specifically expecting, based on the two prior films).

In that way, if anything, the other characters were almost more 'distracting' than Julie's obvious 'charms'.

Monosterio likes this.
  13. The first two are magical and the third one is very good. Considering how many years had passed, I thought the third one turned out better than I expected.

14. Bowie Fett

I guess this set has been pushed to 2016...?

15. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

My wife hated the third, but I liked it. Yes, it's not anywhere near as enjoyable as the first two, but it was very honest. Anyone who has been married for a long time can relate to still loving someone, but getting annoyed by them.

As for Julie being topless - I'm in favor of it, but they were also trying to show how casual and comfortable they were in this relationship.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
    Rooster_Ties likes this.
  16. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I can handle the first one. :)

17. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

AMAZON PRE ORDER

^Likely a pricing error so grab it. Guessing retail around $100 and typical Criterion price $80, so that half off sale would be $40. Just easy to lock it in now and get a surprise in Feb 2017.

mikeyt likes this.
  18. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I just watched "Before Sunrise. " Not my usual cup of tea, but I enjoyed it quite a bit, largely thanks to the charms of Ethan Hawk who was so good in this film. He's a good little improviser and so naturalistic I then popped in "Before Sunset," I only got to watch a few minutes , but I was pretty annoyed by the cinematogragphy after the nice modern, lean photography of "Before Sunrise" I thought: "Who threw the gauze over the lens!" Terrible! I hope Criterion does something to clean it up, but I doubt anything can be done

19. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

There is never "gauze over the lens", but rather color timing. I haven't seen the first two on blu-ray as the Criterion will be the first for the US market.

The Amazon pricing error was corrected to $99.99, but presumably the pre-orders at half price will be honored.

20. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

Thanks for posting that. I've been waiting for this set for a long time and that deal is icing on the cake (I'm sure it'll be honored) .

21. Al Kuenster

Al Kuenster Senior Member

Criterion has it listed for $79.96 from their site.

22. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I dunno sure looks soft to me.. It's not color It's the overall sharpness

23. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Of course, maybe it's just the bookstore scene I saw and it gets better

24. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Are you watching DVD? There is no US market blu-ray for either of the first two.

25. Bowie Fett

Criterion. February 2017.

:cool:

mdekoning and PhantomStranger like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.