Did Keith Richards really play the guitar solo on "Sympathy For the Devil"?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Exile On My Street, Jan 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

Keith did some piercing lead work during the 68/69 period--Sympathy, Gimme Shelter, and Stray Cat Blues, specifically. My favorite Keith period hands down.

ArpMoog, mrgroove01 and panasoffkee like this.
  2. old school

old school Senior Member

Yes it's production but Page has so many more memorable solos I don't get the comparison. Keith is not known for solos anyway. And as far as a producer
    Jimmy Page is far more skilled in that area then Keith Richards.

JoeRockhead and rburly like this.
  3. duneman

duneman Forum Resident

I didn't know that at the time but its clearly Page on the all to brief solo - thanks for the tip.

4. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Frankly, I think the solo is somewhat forgettable, but Keith's work on bass on SftD is rippin'.

ParloFax likes this.
  5. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

EXACTLY! The soloing isn't much different than what he was doing on Buttons/Majesties, and the horrible amp sound is what makes it sound so odd.

6. Steve Winwood plays the solo on "Dear Mr. Fantasy", as far as I know.

7. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

It was ole Nanker yankin on them strings !

8. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

I think you are misunderstanding my point.
    I was not comparing Page to Richards as soloists.
    I was comparing the fact that both sat in the studios for days, until they got a solo they were satisfied with.

9. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

You're the third one to tell me! Line forms on the left.

1970 likes this.
  10. Sorry, I didn't read the posts after yours, I just responded immediately. My bad.

dkmonroe likes this.
  11. joethomas1

joethomas1 Forum Resident

Just to clarify, the quote is "5 strings, 3 chords, 2 fingers, 1 a**hole" :righton:

12. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

The entire solo is in a couple positions which IIRC Keith favored...it was all vibrato and feel. Those rakes at 2:56 and 3:00 are a Keith trademark.

13. entropyfan

entropyfan Forum Resident

Those rakes aren't particularly difficult, but man he times them perfectly.

Carserguev likes this.
  14. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

I never get tired of this solo. It's absolutely perfect and the best I've ever heard him play.

Mark E. Moon and Carserguev like this.
  15. vegafleet

vegafleet Forum Resident

I last saw them live in Puerto Rico 2005 or 06 (?) and they did Sympathy with the backing tapes for the percussion (cheesey) and Keith took a long solo (I think Mick took a break and went away and Ronnie didn't feature in the solo). It was absolutely terrible. We were all commenting if he had suddenly completely forgotten how to play. Just a long (at least it felt long) mess of chords and notes, with no apparent structure or thought to make a coherent solo. The low point of an otherwise very good show. Mick and Charlie were amazing!

It seems to me that in a latter day Stones show that Charlie, Darryl (bass) and Chuck (keyboards) play the songs to perfection and KR and RW approximate some semblance of the general proximity of the songs on their guitars. Somehow it works.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2015
    JoeRockhead and Moonbeam Skies like this.
  16. rbp

rbp Forum Resident

Yeah it's just Keith showing off (for a change).

17. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Chris Spedding

18. old school

old school Senior Member

I'm sorry for misunderstanding. But Jimmy Page was a studio musician for many years before joining the Yardbirds and had to go into a studio and play something on the producer's demand. So Jimmy Page always had a good understanding when in a studio what he wanted that's why he produced all of Led Zeppelins albums. That is what I was trying to convey the differences between Page and Richards.

MHP likes this.
  19. fallbreaks

fallbreaks Forum Resident

Watch their Rock n Roll Circus performance - Keith plays the leads.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2015
  20. old school

old school Senior Member

Sure who else played the leads? Brian Jones could barley hold a guitar at the Rock & Roll Circus! As a matter of fact that was his last performance live as a Rolling Stone. But from 1962- 67 Brian played the leads often that is a fact.

Moonbeam Skies likes this.
  21. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

I never thought so either, he's one of my favorite guitar players.

footlooseman likes this.
  22. old school

old school Senior Member

I agree 100%! Keith just goes through the motions, Keith has not been a good guitar player with fire or energy for years. Keith has been posing for years it's a shame.

23. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

I was told it was Page too, back in the early 80's. As a teenager it sounded like Page's tone to me at the time, and I thought that seemed credible.

Moonbeam Skies likes this.
  24. JL6161

JL6161 Forum Resident

Wow, I did not know that! I guess the record cover made me cringe so hard I didn't really notice the liner notes.

MRamble likes this.
  25. sami

sami Mono still rules

I always described the Ya-Ya's version as pretty much the definition of rock 'n' roll in a nutshell - just absolutely perfect, and it never gets old.

"Sympathy ..." might have been Keith's greatest solo, but I would certainly put the "Gimme Shelter" solo up against it. That has always been my favorite guitar solos by anyone.

cc--, bonus, Carserguev and 1 other person like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.