Jazz Beat (Part 37)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hodgo, Jan 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

I've seen them there. I figure that if there are more tapes to hear, they'd more likely be released by Stefan Winter, who has released a ton of live Motian already. Eicher is more focused on moving forward. That's the reason for the slow dripping of archive releases from ECM.

I can also recommend the quintet releases including Lovano and Frisell which preceded that first trio record (at least as far as recording dates go):

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

Well, we were never NOT good :) They're all pieces of the same puzzle, and as such, are equally important. My only problem with jazz is that there are just too many damn pieces ;)

DrJ and TimArruda like this.
  3. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Oh good. Glad to hear it. I was just feeling like you weren't valuing Hank's playing, one of my favorites of that style of playing that for me includes Tommy Flanagan and Red Garland as far as the old guard goes. I love the pianists who do push the edges but I feel that some people don't appreciate what these quieter, more conservative "sounding" pianists are doing right in fromt of their face (or ears). I went to a Geoff Keezer solo concert once at a college and he talked for about fifteen minutes on the skills that Hank Jones applied to a song from the album Steal Away that he did with Charlie Haden. I forget the song and all the details he spoke of but Hank did some kind of chord substitutionor something along that lines that Geoff and other "scholars" of the piano had a hard time dissecting. So I think there are subtle things that maybe only a pianist or music theorist might recognize but that doesn't make their skills less valuable to the history of jazz piano.

There was a time when these kinds of pianists did not impress me as much as they do now but I'm sure I'm not the only person who comes around to these kinds of things at an older age. I have had the same experience with Paul Desmond and Jim Hall, together or separate whereas now I love the albums they did together and I'm starting to add more Jim Hall to my collection. I still love jazz pushes the boundaries but I've grown to love the subtle things, much like life in general.

Continuing my Red Garland run.....

WP Red Garland - Red Alone (Moodsville/Prestige) green/silver mono label, RVG in the deadwax.

NP Red Garland- Soul Junction (Prestige) black&yellow label, Japanese pressing from the 1980s.

4. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

[​IMG]
    Fats Waller Complete Vol. 12: 1940 (King Jazz)

Campbell Saddler likes this.
  5. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

Out of print, but worth the extra effort to find this 3 disc addendum to his well-known Live on A&M:

[​IMG]

6. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I do have the first volume on Horizon/A&M and I like it a lot. Is the above cd only?

7. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

The above was a 3 disc addendum released by Artist Share a couple of years ago. It contains additional recordings done during the same club gig as Live, and is at least as good as the original album, if not better. YES, ONLY CD, plus of disc with all the music already "ripped".

http://artistshare.com/v4/

http://www.jimhallmusic.com/

There are a couple of other "funded" Hall projects worth investigating also.

Six String likes this.
  8. jiffypopinski

jiffypopinski Forum Resident

Sun Ra - Disco 3000: Complete Milan Concert 1978

[​IMG]

Cactus Bob and mono.edition like this.
  9. macdaddysinfo

macdaddysinfo Forum Resident

T
    thsnks for the suggestions-they have been duly noted...

JETman likes this.
  10. Voltaire

Voltaire Forum Resident

11. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

That trio was one of my all-time favorite bands. Saw 'em at the Vanguard a few times. And, in fact, listening to this one now:

[​IMG]

12. Maseman66

Maseman66 Forum Resident

13. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

14. jiffypopinski

Keith Jarrett - Eyes Of The Heart

[​IMG]

15. macdaddysinfo

macdaddysinfo Forum Resident

Sweet. I have none of his works as leader, just as a side guy, so these are great recommendations. I was thinking of getting that deer inn live set with the hdtracks 20% off today (along with the new underground orchestra and that 39 steps, as the latter seems as good a place as any to start with that guitar player)...

Edit: I found that ecm set for $30 shipped, which seemed a reasonable fee for six discs, so I hit it-thx again.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2015
    DrJ and JETman like this.
  16. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

Glad to help!

All of those are great starting places (YES on the Deer Head Inn)!. As far as Abercrombie goes, there are too many to name, but I highly recommend these 2:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

17. jiffypopinski

Chet Baker - The Touch Of Your Lips

[​IMG]

18. Roger Thornhill

Roger Thornhill Senior Member

Yeah, as I said earlier I picked this up yesterday but have only played it once so far.

Odd album - Redman disappears for much of it and Jarrett ends up playing on his own at the end of the Encore. Can't hear much of Haden or Motian either for that matter at times.

hkm3 likes this.
  19. jiffypopinski

Yeah that was kinda odd but I have to say I REALLY dig this album... especially "Eyes Of The Heart - Part 2". That is such a beautiful tune! :love:

20. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

All this talk of pianists, Motian and Jarrett's American Quartet leads to this:

http://www.*******.com/uploads/posts/2013-03/1362665738_3456169152_ed5e539e96_o.jpg

The trio augmented by Dewey and Geri.

21. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

Can't disagree with many aspects of this summary (not least of which the hideousness of the 32 Jazz cover art! :laugh:). Still, I would point out that being a jazz trumpeter in the era when Woody was making the stuff for Muse was, shall we say, not a very lucrative gig. That may have been the absolute nadir period for jazz commercially. I think Shaw's choices during that period often were based on the desire to scrape up enough cash to eat and feed his family. Personally I can't really fault him for that - more "traditional" those dates may be but they are still, to my ears, chock full of great playing, making the most of a less than ideal situation all around, and I feel my collection is richer for including all of them - Woody on a middling day, IMHO, cut just about any trumpeter I can think of.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2015
    JETman likes this.
  22. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

I agree, but I still command you you throw all those albums into the furnace :)

DrJ likes this.
  23. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

My sense is that rather than holding back due to inhibitions or whatever, it was simply fundamental to Jones' nature to hold something in reserve. How that plays with different listeners will of course vary, but I think it's part and parcel of his style/personality, since I can't say I have ever heard a recording of Hank Jones where I said "Damn, he's really cutting loose there...."

TimArruda and JETman like this.
  24. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

Yo meh, catch up on the thread before posting :laugh:

DrJ likes this.
  25. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

I agree, sonically not one of RVG's better recordings but damn, the musicians were on fire.

Mik and JETman like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.