What are the most embarrassing albums you own and why do you own them?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PaulKTF, Jan 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

Prior to discovering oldies radio, these are just a few albums I owned (all on Cassette, I didn't go to CD still 2002, which was the Elvis 30 #1 Hits), I actually remember buying all of them too. I know they're bad, and the music isn't good, but Nostalgia does creep in on a track or two from these.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When I remember more, I'll post them.

onionmaster likes this.
  2. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

And yet another shocker. I haven't heard this album in years, but I do remember that there was actually a decent tune or two, ignoring the bubblegum material:

[​IMG]

3. Shilling the Rubes

Shilling the Rubes Well-Known Member

This really does what it says:

[​IMG]

Disc: 1
    1. Joe Dolce - Saddup You Face
    2. Tweets - The Birdie Song
    3. Black Lace - Agadoo
    4. Chicory Tip - Son of My Father
    5. Paper Lace - Billy Don't Be A Hero
    6. Lieutenant Pigeon - Mouldy Dough
    7. Jonathan King - Una Paloma Blanca
    8. Rick Dees & His Cast of Idiots - Disco Duck
    9. The Scaffold - Lily The Pink
    10. Middle of The Road - Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep
    11. Clodagh Rodgers - Jack In the Box
    12. Buck's Fizz - Making Your Mind Up
    13. Gary Glitter - I'm The Leader of The Gang (I Am)
    14. Tight Fit - The Lion Sleeps Tonight
    15. Damian - Time Warp
    16. Rednex - Cotton Eye Joe
    17. Los Del Rio - Macarena
    18. Sinitta - So Macho
    19. Sam Fox - Touch Me (I Want Your Body)
    20. The Nolans - I'm In The Mood For Dancing

Disc: 2
    1. Keith Harris - Orville's Song
    2. Benny Hill - Ernie (The Fastest Milkman In The West)
    3. Rolf Harris - Two Little Boys
    4. St Winnifreds School Choir - There's No-one Quite Like Grandma
    5. Clive Dunn - Grandad
    6. Goombay Dance Band - Seven Tears
    7. Tiny Tim - Tiptoe Through The Tulips With Me
    8. The Wurzels - Combine Harvester
    9. Mr Blobby - Mr Blobby
    10. Kenny Everett - Snot Rap
    11. Gay Gordon & The Mince Pies - The Essential Wally Party Medley
    12. St Cecilia - Leap Up and Down (Wave Your Knickers In the Air)
    13. The Krankies - We're Going To Spain
    14. Piglets - Johnny Reggae
    15. Maguerita Pracatan - Hello
    16. Starturn On 45 pints - Pump Up The Bitter
    17. The Dubliners - Seven Drunken Nights
    18. Anita Dobson - Anyone Can Fall In Love
    19. Patrick McNee / Honor Blackman - Kinky Boots
    20. Esther and Abi Ofarim - Cinderella Rockerfella

In mitigation I should add I paid just £1.99 in a Woolworths closing down sale!

4. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

Lawrence Welk, "Winchester Cathedral" (vinyl rip). It was the soundtrack to my early childhood, playing it just makes me feel good... :)

Scopitone likes this.
  5. oh1

oh1 Forum Resident

The first album I owned as a child was the highly creditable T.Rex -The Slider a christmas gift in 1972. A year later I wanted David Bowie - Aladdin Sane, when out shopping prior to the forthcoming event I would drop heavy hints by using the previous years tactic of looking deeply fascinated at the sleeve for many minutes within my parents eyeline. The album I received that year? The Wombles - Wombling Songs!

Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
    JL6161, Scopitone and rcsrich like this.
  6. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Guilty pleasure :

[​IMG]

:hide:

rcsrich and Scopitone like this.
  7. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

Carly Simon and Ohio Players. I keep them wrapped in brown paper. ;)

Former Scientist likes this.
  8. Rodney Toady

Rodney Toady Waste of cyberspace

I'm only embarrassed by the number of albums I own. I wish I had been able to keep it within reasonable limits. Other than that, I stand by all my purchases.

Former Scientist likes this.
  9. Picca

Picca Forum Resident

I like Aqua. Wait when Rhino will release 'Best of Aqua' mastered by Inglot with liner notes by Fricke.

10. OneStepBeyond

OneStepBeyond Senior Member

I don't own any that embarrass me (he says!! ;)) But I do have maybe half a dozen that would baffle some; people who know me have always 'expected' me to listen to rock music and little else as that's what I was doing 25 years ago! So I tell them I have a fair collection of classical music and a small but select amount of jazz (maybe a couple of hundred or just over, at the moment... easily double for classical though it's jazz I play far more often.) I have albums by Doris Day, Wham, Olivia Newton John, Bing Crosby and Barbra Streisand - to name but a few; all good and I like them. I'm not supposed to though. I don't have anything by say, One Direction because I don't keep hold of music that doesn't interest me and wouldn't buy it in the first place. :)

This IS genuinely below-par though and if ever people see it, I do have to explain...

[​IMG]

... for those who don't know, it was a series of albums from the late 60s to the 80s (this is from 1972) and featured the big hits of the day done by studio musicians - with variable results. They could range from interesting (usually when they didn't try to copy the original, note for note and it'd add something new to the picture - possibly - probably rarely, to be precise) to quite painful! I found this LP at home when I was about 8 and as nobody else wanted it, it became something I was allowed to play. I used to play Sylvia's Mother from it, over and over - it mesmerised me. I'd not heard Dr Hook's version at that point and now cannot remember what the one on here is like; but I know how to remedy that! I suppose it IS a little embarrassing in they way is could be seen as cheap and tacky (at the time, a lot of people would have been of that opinion...) And so, when I'm showing people my collection, I'll make a bee-line for this LP before it's spotted and have my little story at the ready. :D It's sad, but at one time I had quite a collection of these and others that tried to follow the same idea too. Can you believe some of them hit #1 in the charts?!

11. blackdograilroad

blackdograilroad Forum Resident

Four LPs of The Railway Stories [aka Thomas The Tank Engine] read by the late British broadcaster Johnny Morris. Also the pic sleeve 45s from which those LPs were compiled, with the engines' faces on the labels so that the spindle makes their nose.

Probably embarrassing, but I'm not embarrassed. I like them. I couldn't give a flying ****.

OneStepBeyond likes this.
  12. MKHopkins

MKHopkins Break out the Hats and Hooters

I got this one in a freebie box from Jerry's in Pittsburgh. While I pitched some of the lesser lights, I had to keep the one for the uh..... cute kitten?

I'm kind of surprised they were able to get away with this cover in 1962.

[​IMG]

Man at C&A, rcsrich and turnersmemo like this.
  13. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

I have this on vinyl, absolutely brutal. Rating zero/10.

liveshowz and The Pinhead like this.
  14. SKBubba

SKBubba Forum Resident

Bananarama, True Confessions.

Because, the 80s man.

15. JL6161

JL6161 Forum Resident

I'm also totally shameless and unapologetic about all my records, though I'm aware that a bunch of them are objectionable to others. One coworker asked, "Is this some type of demented polka band?" about the Pogues at a dinner party once, and of course, I replied, "I know! Isn't it great?!"

Another time a fellow perused my upstairs "records I seldom listen to" shelf (including stuff like Scandal, Don McLean, Huey Lewis, The Police, etc.) and concluded, "You have some terrible albums." Pro-tip: this would be an example of things not to say in the Early Dating phase, or ever, really.

16. RDriftwood

RDriftwood Vintage Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Easily the most embarrassing album that I own. Must have gotten it free or as a gag gift - can't remember. Mint condition as I doubt that it ever got played all the way through. A bunch of spoken sound bites followed by obviously canned applause. Really REALLY bad. Unlistenable.

Grant, HiFi Guy 008, geo50000 and 4 others like this.
  17. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

I'm not embarrassed by anything in my collection. If I feel like listening to Disco or Schmaltz sometimes then I do it. I don't owe apologies to anyone for that. :)

Folknik likes this.
  18. Harold R

Harold R Forum Resident

I have a Charles Manson cd but I've never played it.

19. chodad

chodad Hodad

[​IMG]

because I appreciate good schmaltz

rcsrich and MKHopkins like this.
  20. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

The Rolling Stone Record Guide described Astley's voice as "a cross between Michael McDonald and Jim Nabors." I can hear that. (Not saying it's a bad thing, though.)

The Keymaster and The Pinhead like this.
  21. SKBubba

SKBubba Forum Resident

I have It's Better to Travel. Like it!

MKHopkins likes this.
  22. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Send it over. I like it:)

23. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

None of my albums embarrass me. Some in my collection that others may find embarrassing are Lawrence Welk, Mitch Miller, Pat Boone, the Village People, and others. Some of the covers are pretty embarrassing,though, like Two Virgins.

24. Sill Nyro

Sill Nyro Forum Resident

A soundtrack from the sitcom That's So Raven that I haven't listened to in years. I used to like the show when I was a child.

revolution_vanderbilt likes this.
  25. veloso2

veloso2 Forum Resident

red hot chili peppers 3 albums. i hide them when people come home! i don't know why i keep them!
    horrible music.

Man at C&A likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.