D'Angelo - "Black Messiah" (15-Dec-2014)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by whisperinwind21, Dec 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Like I said, "The Charade" is D'Angelo's most Prince-y arrangement, without a doubt. But you know if you only heard "Kiss" you'd say Prince is just a JB rip-off.

Naughty Chord likes this.
  2. Buda

Buda Forum Resident

Exactly. I just don't understand how certain folks can not differentiate between a faceless rip-off and something which is considered to be a reinvention, a totally new approach to a known genre etc. because here, it is clearly visible what the heck is all about.

3. hvgrace

hvgrace Senior Member

I was thinking that he decisively surpassed Prince's latest SNL performance. It was riveting.

4. fourfeathers

fourfeathers Forum Resident

Well, that should erase just about any doubts anyone could have had. What a performance. What a band!

My girlfriend and I sat in silence during "The Charade" and as soon as it finished, she just turned and said "holy ****, can we watch that again?" One of the best late-night musical performances I've ever witnessed.

5. fourfeathers

fourfeathers Forum Resident

I just gotta post this for others to see. The whole band is on fire, but man, John Blackwell is RIPPIN' it!

6. djej

djej Forum Resident

You realize we expect a full review of the show, right? :)

Excited for you...

fourfeathers likes this.
  7. BlueGangsta

BlueGangsta Forum Resident

It sounds like they're using a Linn LM1 preset and a Rhythm King MRK-2.

8. whisperinwind21

whisperinwind21 Forum Resident Thread Starter

9. guy1

guy1 Forum Resident

Amazon UK have put the release date back to 25th May!

10. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

whisperinwind21 likes this.
  11. whisperinwind21

You may be right. Russ Elevado revealed a couple months back that only 5,000 copies of the vinyl will be pressed. My pre-order hasn't been affected either, so I guess it's smooth sailing.

12. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

That's my assumption until I hear otherwise.

13. Izozeles

Izozeles Pushing my limits

It's sad we won't get a AAA release. A lost opportunity

14. whisperinwind21

AAA?

15. Izozeles

Izozeles Pushing my limits

Fully analog

16. Scott222C

Scott222C Loner, Rebel & Family Man

Amazon.de has first moved the date for the vinyl back to May and now advanced it to 09. Februar 2015
    I keep my fingers crossed !!

Guten Tag,

Amazon.de hat eine gute Nachricht zu Ihrer aktuellen Bestellung:

Wir freuen uns, Ihnen mitteilen zu koennen, dass die folgende Ware frueher als angekuendigt verschickt werden kann:

D'Angelo and the Vanguard "Black Messiah [Vinyl LP] [Vinyl LP]"
    Bisheriges voraussichtliches Lieferdatum : 29. Mai 2015 - 30. Mai 2015
    Neues voraussichtliches Lieferdatum : 09. Februar 2015

rainspainplain likes this.
  17. djej

djej Forum Resident

FWIW, the owner of my local shop says he hasn't gotten notification of the date being pushed back on the vinyl.

18. Fivebyfive

Fivebyfive Forum Resident

I just bought this recently, and it's pretty damn amazing. One of those records where there seems an endless supply of things to discover on repeat listens. What's also amazing (and I'm sure disappointing for the artist) is that it hasn't sold better. I wonder why? Kanye's albums all hit No. 1 but this has gotten spectacular reviews and it only reached No. 5, and was down to No. 46 last week.

Naughty Chord likes this.
  19. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Well, a positively weird album (in terms of the strange kind of stretched out time) full of kind of mumbled vocals and no big choruses, with no singles on it, that was released overnight with not a shred of promotion and barely an announcement, by an artist who hasn't had an album out in half a generation, in an environment where no one buy records? How many records can you expect to sell? I mean, it sold 115K copies its first week, and more than 11K copies last week. It debuted at #5 on the Billboard 200 and reached #1 on the Billboard R&B album chart. Under the circumstances I'd bet he's far from disappointed.

20. Fivebyfive

Fivebyfive Forum Resident

It deserves more listeners.

21. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Oh, maybe, it's sure as hell a great album, but I don't think sales have been bad at all all things considered. I mean, that was never a record that was going to sell a million copies, certainly not in this market, maybe if it had come out right after Voodoo 15 years ago (Voodoo did a million in sales, but the music biz was a whole different world then), then again, maybe if it had come out right after Voodoo people would have thought, why'd he follow up that hit with this weird album?

22. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

I got an email from Amazon this morning with a new estimated delivery date of 12.31.15... I'm sure that's a generic date, but damn I was looking forward to getting it soon!

23. whisperinwind21

The e-mail I received from Amazon.com today:

[​IMG]

24. Arkay_East

Arkay_East Forum Resident

I have an order in for a hold at my local shop. Seems like forever ago. Wait continues.

25. whisperinwind21

I'm not gonna take a chance at getting it anywhere else now until the day of its supposed release. Fishy stuff indeed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.