The Beatles 'Lost Decca Tapes'

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Stormbird, Jan 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

See above ^ .

2. mine was lime green

3. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

That's a question he didn't answer.

4. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

The first I heard of the Decca sessions releases was through Joe Pope's SFF fanzine.

Here are some scans of the letter that I got with the issue of the '76 Christmas Fexi-disc issue. It's not dated, but it's dedicated to the memory of Freddie Prinze so it's likely February or March of 1977.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

He knew his strengths. Unlike Colonel Tom Parker.

6. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

Are there any recent reissues of this material on LP?

7. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

They still issue new vinyl bootlegs? I had no idea.

8. Tony Jonaitis

Tony Jonaitis Forum Resident

New vinyl bootlegs? Are you kidding me? There were about 7 new Velvet Underground bootlegs issued in the past year! No (thing new....except the Gymnasium show (which has been around for the past 7 years in torrents).

9. vinylman

vinylman Senior Member

I had copies in red, green, blue and black.

sewerdog likes this.
  10. vinylman

vinylman Senior Member

Parker DEFINITELY knew his strengths; ''50% please!''.

Tommyboy and dewey02 like this.
  11. vinylman

vinylman Senior Member

Yes, one came out a couple of years ago; the 15-tracker with the Circuit Records front sleeve. Came with a copy on CD, too.

12. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

A third voice cut the work load on John and Paul in those hours long sets. George sang a lot of the covers in them days.

13. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

This is the original DECCAGONES LP. It's true mono. I recall that there were 7 Deccagone 45's and the only way to get the 15th song ("Take Good Care Of My Baby") was to get the LP.

[​IMG]

BIG ED likes this.
  14. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

This is the Circuit records 1979 picture disc issue. It's not true mono and sounds sped-up, with a bit more bass. Got mine signed by Pete Best at a record show in Boston in 1991

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

But he knew tight trousers when he saw ''em.

16. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

I have all seven singles, but I suspect a few of them may be fakes. (Can you do counterfeits of a bootleg?) I never got the Circuit LP. I did pick up a couple (supposedly legit) early 1980s albums which had some (but not all) of the songs, combined with Star Club songs. The Deccagone 45s seemed to sound better.

17. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

How do you keep up with new vinyl bootlegs?I'm hoping to see some of blur.

18. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

Yellow Dog seem to have been the first to get it right.

Their The Silver Beatles (YD011) was released - at the wrong speed - in 1991:

[​IMG]

Then in 1994, they released three Ultimate Collection boxes. The first CD in the first box was The Early Years, 1962, Decca Tapes Revised, Right Speed (YDB 101):

[​IMG]

This was then issued as a standalone release The Decca Tapes (YD061) in 1995:

[​IMG]

19. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

Does anyone have a Youtube link to the fast and slow versions. I have this on CD and it always sounded fine to me.

20. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

I bought that LP in 1978.

Muzyck likes this.
  21. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

I bought that one in '77! :)

TonyR and Muzyck like this.
  22. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I own both versions. I think the Vigotone CD sounds better

23. Digital-G

Digital-G Senior Member

They definitely make counterfeits of bootlegs! Try finding original Vigotone CDs (which are now pricey) and you'll definitely run across bootleg versions. After the Deccagone singles came out (which were bootlegs, but very original bootlegs), nearly every album of the Decca singles was a bootleg made from (I'm guessing) the singles.

I have the original Deccagone singles purchases through the Strawberry Fields fanzine back in the mid-70's. Three Cool Cats / Hello Little Girl was the first single released. I remember being skeptical that it would really be Beatles songs from the famous Decca Audition. I was blown away when I got the single - It was beautiful colored vinyl with a color picture sleeve and the sound was FANTASTIC. And it was unmistakably the Beatles playing and singing. What a fun time to be a fan. I don't remember the schedule, but a 'new' single was released every 4 weeks or so. They cost a whopping $4 each (thanks dasacco for posting the fanzine pages above!) and shipping was FREE! I was 13 or 14 years old and can still remember going to our local carry-out (Lawsons) to buy money orders for these records. I still have all of the original records in the original mailers.

I had the album shown above (with the red cover and 'roses' picture) but gave it away to a friend who was a fan but never knew any of the Decca stuff was available (if you knew where to look). :)

Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
    dasacco likes this.
  24. Muzyck

Muzyck Pardon my scruffy hospitality

And there is this version. Raw Energy. "In stereo from the master tape Silver Beatles. Re-mastered by Shmulik Kleinman". It does sound very "different". :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

25. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

I had a Vigotone CD with the "From Me To You"/"Thank You Girl"/"One After 909" sessions plus the Decca sessions. The Decca stuff sounded pretty good, but "Take Good Care Of My Baby" had a skip or very small edit/glitch towards the end of the instrumental break.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.