John Carpenter's "Lost Themes"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SonOfAlerik, Nov 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SonOfAlerik

SonOfAlerik Forum Resident Thread Starter

RevUp64 likes this.
  2. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

Wonder if it'll just be on LP. I love me some Classic Carpenter.

3. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

God I hope not.

4. SonOfAlerik

I wonder what film the theme was intended for. I can't wire for this.

5. Dark Horse 77

Same here, I want it on CD.

Can't say I know but it sounds like something early 80s to my untrained ears.

6. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

I have got to return to this when new information is available.

I've been listening to John Carpenter's early soundtracks a lot lately as it pretty much suits Halloween. For me, there is no scarier, creepier music than what he created for Halloween III, Christine, The Fog, etc. Really unique stuff too; even though others had used synthesizers in horror films, no one made music that sounded like this before he and Alan Howarth came along.

rodrigosanche55 likes this.
  7. Dark Horse 77

I love all the stuff he and Alan Howard did together too. There have been deluxe editions of everything they did except for the soundtrack to Christine. Waiting...

8. whisper3978

whisper3978 Forum Resident

There were rumblings about his Howarth "association" merely being Carpenter forcing his name onto the cue sheets, but I haven't heard much beyond that.

9. Dark Horse 77

Hmm. That's the first I ever heard of that. Any details/times?

10. whisper3978

whisper3978 Forum Resident

It was a word-of-mouth deal, and I think comes from the Halloween III sessions.

11. questrider

questrider Forum Resident

That "Vortex" track playing on the website sounds like a mixture of the music from Halloween III, Big Trouble in Little China, and Prince of Darkness with hints of Escape of New York. Sounds interesting.

12. Dark Horse 77

Interesting if this is true. They worked until 1988 and They Live if I'm correct.

13. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

I recall Alan Howarth writing that he actually performed all the music on Halloween II, but I've not heard any such thing from Halloween III or otherwise. In my opinion, the new material from Halloween II does seem to lack the dark sound that we hear in Carpenter's other scores like The Fog, Christine and Halloween III, so I can believe that to be true.

I always imagined that Carpenter wrote the bulk if not all of that music anyway and Howarth just helped program the synths and engineer the recordings and such. Given that the credit was "In association with Alan Howarth" sure sounded to me like it meant that Howarth provided more support than actual composition.

14. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Heard two on Youtube , pretty cool

15. liv3evil

liv3evil Forum Resident

Really digging this LP! Fantastic film score/music "from movies made in our imaginations". \../

16. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

17. tonesforchris

tonesforchris Forum Resident

I'm really looking forward to recieving this, I love his early synth based scores and The Vortex sampler on the website sounds fantastic.

18. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

This arrived yesterday, can't wait to hear it tonight! The album is this week's 'Editors Pick' on All Music :D

19. seventeen

seventeen Forum Resident

Lost Themes II is coming! New video directed by John Carpenter. When I read directed by John Carpenter I smile.

Synthfreek and MikeInFla like this.
  20. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

Wow, this is cool! Had no idea about the first one, I have always enjoyed his soundtracks.

21. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

And a US tour on top of it.

With insanely high VIP Meet and Greet packages, at least in my area ($250). Sheesh.

22. seventeen

seventeen Forum Resident

You wanna check the G&R VIP prices? LOL

MikeInFla likes this.
  23. SonOfAlerik

Got Lost Themes II about a week ago. Just as good as the first.

24. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

I am just curious, what is the story behind these albums? Is it music that didn't make it in his movies and he is releasing them? Or is it music in the style of his movies? Either way, the clips I have heard sound awesome.

25. SonOfAlerik

Don't let the name fool you. It's all newly created music. I think his son worked on the first one with him. Not sure about part 2. It does sound just like his soundtrack scores. Which is why I like it.

MikeInFla likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.