Rose Royce CD masters

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Yost, Jan 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not” Thread Starter

I'm a fan of Rose Royce but besides an awful lot of compilations it's very hard to find their original albums on CD. Let's discuss which ones are released and how they sound.

I have the Edsel twofers from 2011:
    With album DR numbers around DR 9 - DR10 these are typical modern remasters. Not really bad, but a bit compressed and normalized. The treble is a little harsh, but the bass is okay. They sound somewhat unnatural, but it's not distracting from the great songs. But, it's not very audiophile or honest to the original vinyl.

The Strikes Again + Rainbow Connection is a great buy as it combines 2 classic albums. If you like the singles of these albums, you will certainly enjoy the other tracks too. Golden Touch + Jump Street is less essential. But I wanted this release for the full 12 minutes version of R.R. Express on Jump Street. An outstanding track, IMHO.

I know Wounded Bird also released these albums in 2010. Did anyone compare the sound quality of those discs to the releases above?

BIG ED likes this.
  2. leshafunk

leshafunk Forum Resident

Wounded Bird 2010 CDs have better DR. It does not mean that the sound quality is audiophile :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Analyzed: Rose Royce / Rose Royce III: Strikes Again!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    DR Peak RMS Duration Track
    DR12 -0.24 dB -14.18 dB 4:36 01-Get Up Off Your Fat
    DR9 -0.24 dB -12.07 dB 4:10 02-Do It, Do It
    DR14 -0.24 dB -17.18 dB 3:43 03-I'm In Love [And I Love The Feeling]
    DR11 -0.24 dB -13.67 dB 3:22 04-First Come, First Serve
    DR14 -0.24 dB -16.97 dB 3:58 05-Love Don't Live Here Anymore
    DR14 -0.24 dB -16.84 dB 4:59 06-Angel In The Sky
    DR13 -0.24 dB -16.72 dB 3:53 07-Help
    DR12 -0.24 dB -14.43 dB 3:55 08-Let Me Be The First To Know
    DR10 -0.24 dB -12.81 dB 6:39 09-That's What's Wrong With Me
    Number of tracks: 9
    Official DR value: DR12
    ===============================================================================
    Analyzed: Rose Royce / Rose Royce IV: Rainbow Connection
    DR13 -0.24 dB -17.31 dB 3:44 01-I Wonder Where You Are Tonight
    DR11 -0.24 dB -13.36 dB 5:05 02-Is It Love You're After
    DR12 -0.24 dB -18.04 dB 5:30 03-Shine Your Light
    DR11 -0.24 dB -13.11 dB 8:55 04-What You Waitin' For
    DR12 -0.24 dB -13.93 dB 4:44 05-Bad Mother Funker
    DR12 -0.24 dB -14.18 dB 5:46 06-You Can't Run From Yourself
    DR12 -0.24 dB -14.61 dB 6:04 07-Lock It Down
    DR12 -0.24 dB -14.32 dB 4:49 08-Pazazz
    Number of tracks: 8
    ================================================================================
    Analyzed: Rose Royce / Golden Touch
    DR11 -1.53 dB -15.87 dB 3:48 01-And You Wish For Yesterday
    DR12 -0.24 dB -14.52 dB 3:36 02-I Wanna Make It With You
    DR12 -0.24 dB -14.19 dB 4:47 03-Funkin' Around
    DR12 -0.24 dB -16.57 dB 3:55 04-Golden Touch
    DR10 -0.24 dB -12.58 dB 3:37 05-Love Is In The Air
    DR9 -0.24 dB -11.41 dB 4:27 06-You're A Winner
    DR10 -0.24 dB -12.80 dB 3:48 07-Would You Please Be Mine
    DR10 -0.24 dB -11.76 dB 4:02 08-Help Yourself
    Number of tracks: 8
    Official DR value: DR11
    ================================================================================
    Analyzed: Rose Royce / Jump Street
    DR13 -0.24 dB -16.04 dB 4:02 01-Jump Street
    DR12 -0.24 dB -15.46 dB 3:55 02-Illusions
    DR11 -0.24 dB -13.55 dB 12:01 03-R.R. Express
    DR11 -0.24 dB -14.95 dB 6:09 04-Famous Last Words
    DR11 -0.24 dB -15.28 dB 4:26 05-Tell Me That I'm Dreaming
    DR10 -0.24 dB -12.96 dB 5:58 06-Please Return Your Love To Me
    DR12 -0.24 dB -15.73 dB 3:28 07-Fight It
    Number of tracks: 7

BIG ED likes this.
  3. Yost

But could they be from original master tapes? On my Edsel release of Rainbow Connection, when the singer in "Shine Your Light" sings the really hight parts the vocals collapse as if I'm listening to a needle drop from a worn LP.

4. leshafunk

leshafunk Forum Resident

I don't hear that on WB CD.

5. Yost

Okay. I was looking around, and listening to the Strikes Again! tracks in the iTunes Store made me believe they sounded better than my Edsel release. And based on the lack of compression they probably also sound better than the Wounded Bird release.

I bought the "Do It, Do It" track to measure DR. Both the Edsel (DR7) and the WB (DR9) version have an amount of compression that doesn't match the era they were released in originally. The iTunes track is DR14!

iTunes says that the album is released in 2008. And although Allmusic.com mentions a CD release for this album in 2008, I can only find digital downloads (the version on Spotify is different from the one in iTunes, though). Some more creative thinking made me visit Amazon.co.jp. Here you can listen to samples from the 2014 Strikes Again! release (1000 R&B series remaster series). I think these samples sound a lot like the iTunes songs!

So I think I really really really need to buy a CD now…

BIG ED likes this.
  6. Yost

As I didn't like the Edsel "Golden Touch + Jump Street" very much, and "R.R. Express" (full 12 minutes version) is the only track I can't live without from that release, I was very exited to find the German "Love Don't Live Here Anymore" CD single from 1989 (Warner Bros. Records ‎– 921 064-2). It's a 2-track, 3-inch CD that includes the 12 minutes version of R.R. Express as its second track.

It's quite rare, and not cheap, but a CD from 1989, how could this go wrong. Well… I received it in the mail today, and I can now tell you that the loudness war started as early as 1989. The CD sounds aweful, with Love Don't Live Here Anymore compressed to DR 11 and R.R. Express to DR10. And it's also harsh, with too much treble and little bass. The Edsel releases sound better. Pity.

BIG ED likes this.
  7. leshafunk

leshafunk Forum Resident

If you'll buy those Japanese CDs (from 2014), please share the DR report.

8. Yost

I will. In Bloom and Strikes Again! are coming my way. :agree:

9. Yost

Here are the DR-values for the 2014 Japanese In Full Bloom (WPCR-27774) and Strikes Again! (WPCR-27792) from the 1000 R&B Best Collection.

Code:
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Analyzed folder: Rose Royce/Rose Royce II - In Full Bloom (JPN)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR        Peak        RMS        Filename

DR10        over        -13.60 dB     01 - Wishing On A Star.wav
    DR8         over        -10.68 dB     02 - You Can't Please Everybody.wav
    DR10        over        -12.70 dB     03 - Ooh Boy.wav
    DR9         over        -11.35 dB     04 - Do Your Dance.wav
    DR10        over        -12.49 dB     05 - You're My World Girl.wav
    DR10        over        -12.18 dB     06 - Love, More Love.wav
    DR10        over        -11.36 dB     07 - Funk Factory.wav
    DR10        over        -11.57 dB     08 - It Makes You Feel Like Dancin'.wav

Number of files:    8
    Official DR value:    DR10

and
    Code:
    Analyzed folder: Rose Royce/Rose Royce III - Strikes Again! (JPN)

DR12        over        -13.73 dB     01 - Get Up Off Your Fat.wav
    DR11        over        -12.89 dB     02 - Do It, Do It.wav
    DR13        over        -15.53 dB     03 - I'm In Love [And I Love The Feeling].wav
    DR12        over        -13.75 dB     04 - First Come, First Serve.wav
    DR13        over        -15.41 dB     05 - Love Don't Live Here Anymore.wav
    DR13        over        -15.79 dB     06 - Angel In The Sky.wav
    DR12        over        -15.39 dB     07 - Help.wav
    DR12        over        -14.16 dB     08 - Let Me Be The First To Know.wav
    DR11        over        -12.71 dB     09 - That's What's Wrong With Me.wav

Number of files:    9
    Official DR value:    DR12

==============================================================================================

In Full Bloom is rather sad, lots of compression. It's from a clean master, though. But it sounds a bit unnatural and any difference between soft and hard parts in singing and arrangement are definitely gone. Also some tracks end rather abrupt, while the tracks after them start without a pause. For me this hurts the flow of the album.

Strikes Again! is a lot better than my Edsel CD (less compression, better source tape), but it's still no match for the version on iTunes! I think that the Japanese Strikes Again! and the iTunes release use the same source, but still some Japanese engineer/producer thought it a good idea to add some compression. No idea why, because it emphasizes the high end and hurts the low end. So although it sounds more than okay, the warmth from the iTunes master is definitely gone.

ispace and BIG ED like this.
  10. leshafunk

leshafunk Forum Resident

Thanks for the info. Looks like that old In Full Bloom CD really worth tracking, despite of the price.

11. Yost

I think so too, if you want a tangible medium. I'll always try to hunt down the CD, if available. But currently I'm seriously considering to buy the lossy AAC albums on iTunes. As they seem to be the best ones available.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
    BIG ED likes this.
  12. Yost

13. Yost

Okay, back again. I found a slightly reasonably priced Warner Bros. In Full Bloom CD. The Made in the USA 3074-2. This a reissue from around 1996 - 1998 and it sounds quite nice. The best yet, anyway. Very clean master, nice bass, not harsh. Nice air around the instruments. Album DR = 12. Still, the master on iTunes sounds as it has an even higher album DR.
    Code:
    Analyzed folder: Rose Royce/In Full Bloom

DR13        -0.72 dB     -17.88 dB     01 - Wishing On A Star.wav
    DR11        -0.32 dB     -13.82 dB     02 - You Can't Please Everybody.wav
    DR12        -0.02 dB     -15.32 dB     03 - Ooh Boy.wav
    DR12        -0.32 dB     -14.71 dB     04 - Do Your Dance.wav
    DR12        -0.33 dB     -15.98 dB     05 - You're My World Girl.wav
    DR13        -0.20 dB     -15.51 dB     06 - Love, More Love.wav
    DR13        -0.05 dB     -14.34 dB     07 - Funk Factory.wav
    DR13        -0.05 dB     -14.69 dB     08 - It Makes You Feel Like Dancin'.wav

Number of files:    8
    Official DR value:    DR12

==============================================================================================

Last edited: May 16, 2015
    BIG ED likes this.
  14. Yost

15. Yost

I found a Rose Royce Greatest Hits CD from 1986. The Whitfield Records 3457-2 – it's a reissue of the Greatest Hits record from 1980. Dynamic range figures are:
    Code:
    Analyzed folder: Rose Royce/Greatest Hits

DR15        -1.86 dB     -19.13 dB     01 - Pop Your Fingers.wav
    DR14        -4.20 dB     -20.71 dB     02 - It Makes You Feel Like Dancing.wav
    DR14        -3.61 dB     -18.58 dB     03 - First Come, First Serve.wav
    DR12        -3.37 dB     -18.42 dB     04 - Car Wash.wav
    DR13        -1.92 dB     -17.02 dB     05 - Is It Love You're After.wav
    DR15        -0.51 dB     -17.69 dB     06 - Do Your Dance.wav
    DR13        -0.03 dB     -14.85 dB     07 - You're A Winner.wav
    DR13        -3.40 dB     -19.26 dB     08 - Ooh Boy.wav
    DR13        -5.15 dB     -22.64 dB     09 - I Wanna get Next To You.wav
    DR12        -3.16 dB     -18.57 dB     10 - Wishing On A Star.wav
    DR13        -3.05 dB     -19.42 dB     11 - I'm In Love (And I Love The Feeling).wav
    DR12        -3.45 dB     -20.97 dB     12 - I'm Going Down.wav
    DR14        -2.88 dB     -21.32 dB     13 - I Wonder Where You Are Tonight.wav
    DR13        -2.51 dB     -19.70 dB     14 - Love Don't Live Here Anymore.wav

Number of files:    14
    Official DR value:    DR13

Although there is little compression on this album, the SQ still isn't top notch. The first track sounds to me as sourced from an inferior master. Luckily it gets better after that. For the rest of the tracks the bass and mids sound great. Really nice, warm, articulated, top notch SQ/EQ. But the highs are a bit prominent, but much stranger, seem to have more reverb too. So the horn stabs and strings seem to be far behind the rest of the band, certainly when compared to more recent masters. The effect to me is that I'm listening to bass and mid frequencies from a good sounding record or CD, while the horns and strings are mixed in from an AM radio recording. Of course this is over-exaggerating, but it is an effect I never heard before.

All in all, this disc still has the best sounding versions of some tracks, e.g. Is It Love You're After. But I'm still waiting for a true audiophile remaster of Rose Royce music. This compilation could be a great candidate to start from! Improvements could be to use all the album versions fro all tracks and to add R.R. Express (large hit in European countries), and we're done.

BIG ED likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.