Good Deals on amazon.com (part3)

Discussion in 'Coupons, Discounts & Sales' started by lv70smusic, Mar 14, 2014.

1. John D.

John D. Senior Member

The point is, my sub expires next week, and my wife has given me a gift subscription to prime for $72 instead of $99, a savings of $27.

2. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Where does the quoted text come from, I do not see it on the page you linked to.

3. JackJD

JackJD All I Want is the Truth...

You purchase the Prime Gift code for yourself for $72 (sent to your own email address)...

Allow your Prime membership to expire; Use the Prime Gift code purchased earlier for $72.

You now have purchased another year of Prime for $72 instead of $99... That's the basic theory anyway. :winkgrin:

Cheers!

:wave:

Galley and John D. like this.
  4. JackJD

Sorry for the confusion, it is not on that page. It was a cut/paste from a "deal" forum, to quickly explain the basic principle of the deal.

5. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member Thread Starter

I don't know how it's going to work since Amazon doesn't seem to be clear, but some people are claiming that they have been told by Amazon's customer service that existing Prime members will get the $72 credited to their account when they redeem the code but that they will also be charged an additional $27 for their Prime membership renewal because this offer of one year of Prime for $72 is for new Prime members only or customers who have not had Prime within the past 12 months.

6. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

But the text on Amazon's site reads:

Amazon will send your gift recipient an email on the day you choose, along with redemption instructions. The gift recipient can start their Prime membership right away. If the recipient is already a Prime member, the gift can be exchanged for an Amazon.com Gift Card.

Now, one can interpret it to mean that gifting for existing users is both possible and not possible.

7. kenbefound

kenbefound Forum Resident

I purchase from Amazon all the time but seem to be happy waiting until I get $35 worth of items for free shipping. I understand you get some free streaming with Prime but is there any other feature I'm not thinking about that make spending even $72 worthwhile?

8. JackJD

Sorry, but again, I cannot categorically answer whether this will work... As stated I'm only the messenger.

9. JackJD

I'm (as are many) assuming (we all know about ass-u-me :laugh:) that if one would redeem the code during their existing Prime subscription, they would be issued a gift card.

If, however, their prime membership had already expired, they could use the code for a year of prime membership... In theory anyway. :agree:

I suppose worst case your $72 is wrapped-up in Amazon credit...

For me and my Amazon habit, that's practically cash anyway! :righton:

Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
  10. zen archer

zen archer Forum Resident

I ordered as a gift to myself and set it for Feb. 18 (My B day is the 16th), my current prime ends on the 17th. I set a reminder on the 14th and will cancel my current Prime.
    and on the 18th I will have a late B day gift…works for me!

11. JackJD

You go guy! Happy B-day! :righton:

zen archer likes this.
  12. JackJD

Here's another quote from a deal forum on how to cancel Prime Membership auto-renewal; this procedure works, I used it to cancel auto-renewal on my Prime Sub. :

"In order to avoid the auto renewal of Prime (which is the default option) at the end of your year of prime and so you can use the gift membership you bought for $72 you need to do the following:

Go to "Your account” and then select the sixth option down – “Your Prime Membership”. On the left sidebar, you’ll see an option to end your membership. The first time you click, it does not end immediately, it gives you more options. The options were something like, “Continue membership”, “get a reminder 3 days before membership ends” and “end membership”. Again – if you click on “end membership” it does not actually end your membership right away, as you might expect, instead, it gives you the option to either cancel immediately, or have it cancel on the annual renewal date. Chose 2nd option so your Prime will be cancelled at the end of your year of service. The next day after that happens use your gift Prime membership"

Hope this helps some people!!!

CHEERS!

PhantomStranger and zen archer like this.
  13. lv70smusic

Well, I figured what's the risk of attempting to use this deal even for existing members. The worst that will happen is that I'll end up paying full price when I try to use the claim code after my current Prime membership ends in six weeks, and I will have paid 3/4 of the renewal cost six weeks early. Worth the risk to see if I can save $27 + tax.

14. lv70smusic

The main benefit of Prime is being able to know when stuff will be delivered. I particularly like this if I'm ordering something relatively expensive since I can order it on a specific date knowing it will be delivered on a day I'm planning to be at home. I honestly don't stream much of their video offerings, but I do like Prime Music, their music streaming benefit. I don't find the sound quality good enough that I would foregoing stuff I'm interested in, but it's a nice way to listen to music first to see if I like it.

kenbefound likes this.
  15. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

My current Prime doesn't expire until November. It only cost me $79.00 this time. Since my current period is good for another 10 months, I think I'll pass on this.

16. black sheriff

black sheriff Magic City

They're basically giving this one away.

TRANS - Red (vinyl) $3.08 with Prime

TRANS is Bernard Butler, Jackie McKeown, Igor Volk and Paul Birchers.

http://amzn.com/B00FESPGBQ

17. rtalwani

rtalwani Forum Resident

Bought on your suggestion and this quote from an amazon reviewer:
    "Some of the best psychedelic-tinged guitar rock around these days. Sort of a Television-meets-Krautrock vibe."
    Thanks for the tip.

Lethrus and black sheriff like this.
  18. JorgeGvb

JorgeGvb Senior Member

19. ukrules

ukrules Forum Resident

JorgeGvb likes this.
  20. tyler928

tyler928 Forum Resident

got mine yesterday. It's ridiculously warped. Anyone else have the same problem? It's in the vinyl flat now. Hope it takes care of it.

21. black sheriff

black sheriff Magic City

Sorry to hear that. Mine is flat. The Yo La Tango album that I posted recently arrived severely warped. The strange thing about that one was that the frustration free LP mailer was also warped. Even stranger is that the LP mailer was in a large box with another item that I ordered and there was no damage to the large box and the LP mailer wasn't forced into the large box.

22. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

Wow, that's weird!

black sheriff likes this.
  23. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

24. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

25. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

It's definitely louder than the original, although I think it sounds fine. It looks like the Wounded Bird reissue of "Touch Me" is already OOP.

Davidmk5 likes this.