HDTracks News (part 10)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jerry, Jan 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DR.J

DR.J Forum Resident

One more, Rebirth Brass Band - "Move Your Body." If you like NOLA brass bands, this is a great, modern download. Good bass, nice open soundstage, not overly compressed (don't know or care about the DR numbers). This is my kind of music so YMMV.

2. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church

There is something weird going on with Van Halen in general this weekend. David Lee Roth has closed his Twitter and Facebook accounts and has pulled all his Roth Show broadcasts off YouTube.

Mij Retrac likes this.
  3. ellingtonic

ellingtonic Forum Resident

Thanks!

4. Rip van Radio

Rip van Radio Forum Resident

May I recommend 'Sukierai' by Jeff Tweedy, and his son, Spencer. And anything from Wilco, really. What a consistently high quality offering, in 24 bit.

dragpeace and ynnek4 like this.
  5. tgdinamo

tgdinamo Forum Resident

Just purchased Miles Davis' 'Sketches of Spain' (88.2-24) at Pono store for $12.99! This great album does not seem to be available on HDTracks at all (surprising given they otherwise have a nice Miles selection).

6. Stephen Murphy

Stephen Murphy Forum Resident

Yes, it looks like they are adding in some CBS/Sony stuff. I see the Santana section was just filled in. I need Canadian access!

7. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Regarding the 24/192 Van Halen "5150" at Pono....

I'm looking forward to hearing more about this. Is the EQ any different than the 24/44.1 download from HD Tracks? Is it noticeably different from the original CD? Dynamics intact? I love this album, but I think it would take a good mastering engineer to EQ it so it is warmed up a bit without totally messing up the original intent. Just a straight hi-rez transfer might not be much better than the original CD.

8. jmacvols

jmacvols Forum Resident

Upcoming releases on HDtracks…

Diana Krall - Wallflower (Deluxe Edition)
    Robert Cray - Strong Persuader
    Graham Nash - Wild Tales
    Kid Ink - Full Speed
    Title Fight - Hyperview
    Royal Blood - Royal Blood
    Three Days Grace - Transit Of Venus
    Bob Dylan - Shadows in the Night
    Barbra Streisand - Greatest Hits Volume II
    Bobby Hutcherson - Components
    The Temperance Movement - The Temperance Movement
    David Fray - Fantaisie
    Nino Rota The Godfather (Original Soundtrack Recording)
    Dexter Gordon Legacy
    Deva Premal - Password
    Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers - Mosaic

And more!!!

9. xj32

xj32 Forum Resident

Hmmmm, I dont have a good copy of Graham Nash's "Wild Tales" just a VBR version I bought years ago on e-music.

Also hoping the that the Dylan is 24/96 or I will just get the CD

10. SammyU

SammyU Forum Resident

Per the DR database, both the CD and Hi-Res (24/44.1) are DR 11. Nice to see. I'll go with the 24/44.1 when a coupon code comes along.

11. B-Mike

B-Mike Forum Resident

Big Blue Note day, especially if you like Dexter Gordon. One Flight Up, A Swingin' Affair, Clubhouse, Dexter Calling, Gettin' Around, & Doin' Allright are all on HDTracks. Plus Art Blakey Mosaic, Tina Brooks True Blue, Bobby Hutcherson Components, Andrew Hill Point of Departure.

ellingtonic and robertawillisjr like this.
  12. xj32

xj32 Forum Resident

The Graham Nash is sure to inspire some controversy...its a new hi-rez transfer, but the device used was a an Audio Latte (JCF I think) and it maxes out at 18-192 by design. Then the 24/96 is a down sample of that.

13. art

art Senior Member

Have you heard it yet?

14. JamieLang

JamieLang Forum Resident

I would say you're asking me how I would treat a unicorn if I saw one. I sort of kid....but, I guess if you make that DR9-6, I can see what you mean.

But, there's a difference--do you have the option for a better sounding more dynamic version of those Oasis? If not....not the same scenario. I have a DR13 CD of the first Henley album. DR12 CDs of the next two. So, presenting the "new and improved fidelity" version at DR8 is an insult. That's the case with a lot of these. If you look at HDT or Pono at the high rez releases--most are reissues of old recordings--not new albums. It's people rebuying. You have a completely different set of requirements to REbuy an album than to buy it.

I'm gonna buy Sara Bareilles....whether it's DR6 or 8 or 12....but, I'm not going to REbuy it because you've taken her DR8 album and made it DR6. Now--if you take Kaldeiscope Heart (7'ish?) and released it in 96khz at DR12, I'm gonna pay through the nose for it BECAUSE the music is so personally beloved and I want the best version of htat recording I can get. Hell, I don't even want to think about how much I paid for that vinyl....just on the off chance it was mastered more dynamically.

Gardo, cwsiggy and Starwanderer like this.
  15. B-Mike

B-Mike Forum Resident

HDTracks, 10% off new releases, HDFEB03
    ProStudioMasters, 15% off everything, STRONG

16. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

I think most if not all of that stuff went up last week

17. rodstone

rodstone Forum Resident

I emailed HDTracks to ask why all the Van Halen titles were no longer available. Here is their response: "The Van Halen titles were taken down last week by the record label. This is due to their loss of their rights to those albums. We apologize for the inconvenience." I wish they would have given some advance warning. If I had known they would be disappearing, I definitely would not have waited to get them. I hope that whatever record company signs Van Halen makes them available again.

chrischerm likes this.
  18. Mij Retrac

Mij Retrac Forum Resident

Then why is Pono still selling them?

19. jonboy71

jonboy71 Forum Resident

Has anyone been able to compare the 2 HD versions of 5150 yet?

20. maxnix

maxnix Forum Resident

...and, the question was asked way earlier in the threads, but has anyone heard the two Todd Rundgren's available? Not holding my breath, but a decent Hermit of Mink Hollow would be nice.

21. ellingtonic

ellingtonic Forum Resident

I'm listening to Tina Brooks True Blue now. The tubes are still warming up, but it sounds good.

22. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

I don't see any Van Halen on HDtracks.

23. jonboy71

jonboy71 Forum Resident

They were taken down, but 5150 was showing briefly in a new 192/24 mastering and it is elsewhere on the net, including the pono store right now.

24. Mickactual

Mickactual Humble indie rock musician

And how does Roth simultaneously going AWOL from social media factor in?
    The plot thickens...

25. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church

There is talk (mostly from unreliable sources like radio stations of course) Van Halen will be releasing a live album and home video (Tokyo 2013) this Spring along with the back catalog (including the 4 Hagar studio albums) getting another remastering. This may tie in with what was mentioned above regarding Warner Bros no longer having rights to the VH back catalog. If this pans out, this could be a huge opportunity for demos, unreleased tracks, classic Roth era live releases .... basically the albums getting the Led Zep deluxe treatment. But then again, this IS Van Halen... a band with a long history of screwing their fans and crapping on their legacy.

All eyes on Pono for the next clue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.