Essential Wally Traugott masterings

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Geoman076, May 20, 2006.

1. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

All of my pressings, including the double WUMMO are with the smiling band cover.

c-eling likes this.
  2. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Probably an Intern :laugh: , Fantastic job who-ever did it...

3. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

I was just surfing through YouTube and I found a video of Michael Fremer at the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest and on it he rubbished Wally Traugott as a mastering engineer, I couldn't believe my ears! Really surprised at his comments!

JG

john lennonist likes this.
  4. Gardo

Gardo Audio Epistemologist

Ouch! Link?

5. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

Ouch! Is right, here it is...

about 57mins 50 secs in.

JG

Old Rusty likes this.
  6. Gardo

Gardo Audio Epistemologist

Crazy. Guess he hasn't heard the Wallys I've heard.

john lennonist likes this.
  7. Smithtown Dad

Smithtown Dad Active Member

Not sure if this has been listed, I read "almost" the entire thread today. Barbra Streisand, "Barbra The Concert", Recorded Live at Madison Square Garden, New York City,
    two compact disk set, Columbia, c2k-66109, 1994 sony music entertainment. The fold out credits as follows, Mastered at Tower/Capitol Mastering, Hollywood by Wally Traugott.

c-eling likes this.
  8. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

Found a WLP of this today!

9. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Pardon me if this has been posted elsewhere in the thread, but Wally worked the overnight shift at Capitol for much (all?) of his career, and he smoked like a chimney. IIRC, he was expected to cut six lacquers per shift, with a pretty fair amount of "replacement lacquer" work to replace worn-out parts for catalogue titles.

10. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

“Wasn’t so good,” while not complimentary, isn’t quite “rubbished.” My guess is that Fremer is thinking of some of Traugott’s work on Pink Floyd (he hated Wally’s mastering on the U.S. pressing of A Nice Pair) and some of his later, digitally sourced Beatles reissues.

You know who else down-rates Wally vinyl? Everybody who relentlessly harps on the immense superiority of the early UK pressings of DSOTM vs. the U.S. Wally pressings. The Wally I’ve got sounds incredible.

Old Rusty likes this.
  11. jacksonwalker

jacksonwalker Forum Resident

Also the Wally non-digitally sourced Beatles reissues on the purple Capitol labels from the late seventies sound incredible. I mean, really incredible.

12. slinkyfarm

slinkyfarm Forum Resident

This thread made for some good reading while needledropping my all-Wally Saturday Night Fever.

I found his name the other day on a copy of Boston's "Peace of Mind" 45 that I recently bought, but just on the A-side. It's notable for the different vocal track, but it also happens to be one of Wally's cuts.

13. slinkyfarm

slinkyfarm Forum Resident

Also, I see Abbey Road on the orange and purple labels mentioned here, and I can add the U.S. 1978 picture disc to that list. Both sides of mine.

John Bliss likes this.
  14. Nice to have a list of his masterings.

15. DougP

DougP Member

First post here. I believe this has not been mentioned. Just recently found a Wally mastering of Tom Robinson Band-"Power In The Darkness" from 1978 on a US Harvest label. A doubles LP set with all 4 sides with Mastered By Capitol Wally in the deadwax :)

16. auditorydown

auditorydown Active Member

I'm just started going through my LPs and 45s. The Boston 45 Long Time was Wly on both sides and is mint. The other two Boston singles from the first album are in poor shape, to say the least.

I have checked but can't find an answer to this question. When lacquers were finished when does the "signature" show up in the deadwax? I have some (not a Wally) and haven't ever seen one on a lacquer.

Are there Wally lacquers out there in collector's hands?

17. auditorydown

auditorydown Active Member

You can disregard the middle paragraph. (I tried to delete it but missed by 1 minute lol)

I have the 45 Long Time with the WLY but my other question is this; Was there a WLY for More Than A Feeling 45? I know that came out before the LP by weeks. Does this mean someone else created the 45 lacquer? Or do people have a WLY 45 for More Than A Feeling?

To go along with that question is this one; back in 1976 one side is Stereo and the other Mono. Is it a true Mono version or something else?

Thanks

Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
  18. moonshiner

moonshiner Forum Resident

Wally wins hands down

Stone Turntable and Zomvid like this.
  19. John Bliss

John Bliss Forum Resident

Certainly holds up against the others. It wasn't my favorite of the ones played but it's still very good.

20. 389 Tripower

389 Tripower Just a little south of Moline

In most cases, 1 mono side and 1 stereo side meant that is was a promotional release, for radio stations. Whether your case is a true mono mix - I do not know, you would have to listen. Many mono versions are fold downs.

21. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

I'm confused, I have the 3rd Mazzy Star album, Among My Swan first US press.

on deadwax:
    • Matrix / Runout (Side 1, Etched): Y-I-27224 F-I Wally
    • Matrix / Runout (Side 1, Stamped): MASTERED BY CAPITOL
    • Matrix / Runout (Side 2, Etched): Y-2-27224 F-2 Wally
    • Matrix / Runout (Side 2, Stamped): MASTERED BY CAPITOL
    but on credits print says:
    So? not a Wally Traugott master?

22. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Since this had a mutual compact disc release, Wally cut the lp, the mastering credits for the compact disc probably carried over from that 'main' art

23. Macman007

Macman007 Sitting mId-way between 2 very large speakers

Old thread but I just found it, and read it top to bottom in one sitting. Wally sure mastered a ton of great titles. His legacy on wax has among it some of the best selling albums AND best pressings of them from the 20th century. When you look at the how popular of the large majority of his releases are, it's overwhelming.

Regarding the Beatles US releases, those mentioned above, including the Orange label Capitol Abbey Road, sound amazing for of-the-day record store releases, not special releases or remasters. The Purple label Beatle releases spoken so highly of from the late 70's thru the 80's which Wally cut, IMNSHO are the best sounding domestic pressings overall. When I put together my first complete collection of new Beatles vinyl, essentially what was new and available domestically were the Purple Capitol releases. At first , I was disappointed, and uninformed, thinking the Apple releases would sound better. But they were no longer available new. Almost by accident, I fell in love with their sound, and even today feel that none of the other domestic runs sound(ed) better overall. Even later Beatle compilation releases on the Purple label sounded out of this world, including, Love Songs, Reel Music, 20 Greatest Hits, Rock & Roll Music Vol 1 & 2, Rarities, all had that sound, that certain sound a tone or clarity, and a pace of excitement, and energy. Once I owned all the US domestic releases, I began buying the (at the time) the very expensive German Apple imports. As I recall these were almost 20$ each, it took me a while to afford all of the. Those albums had a different sound, but not better or worse different, but quite likable. For the price, I still feel those Purple label Capitol issues are underrated, but then and now best bang for the buck to be had. I had no idea even today that Wally had mastered most if not all of them. I have cataloged most of the rare and more expensive releases as I've bought them, but never looked closely at those Purple label releases until now.

Now,I have no way to compare the ones I bought to all of the original US Rainbow label, Apple, Domestic, let alone UK Parlophone and Apple issues. I won't get into Mono vs Stereo which camp and why. Those threads have been beaten to death and I doubt many of the persons owning those rarified releases even listen to them. I too collect records which I rarely play, but these albums are for listening to, not looking at. No doubt my early Beatles 62-66 and 67-70 on Apple are not audio slouches. But the Purple Capitol releases are just as good for listening listen to, even today. There is something about those Purple Capitol Beatle Wally releases, a clarity and presence almost as if the group are in the next room recording live. German Apple's I bought new during those years (1980-1984) are excellent pressings in their own right, From a technical standpoint the vinyl they used was far quieter, and often flatter (less warpage) though not always thicker, so the quality control during pressing and handling, maybe even the vinyl itself was better. That's not to say the US versions were noisy and warped, far from it. They were better than quite a bit of the vinyl that came after them especially as the releases got thinner toward the end, when CD and Cassette popularity were dominating together.

A huge Thank YOU, to everyone here for compiling this must have list of Wally releases. As I play thru my collection, and add new albums, I'll be on the lookout for his Deadwax scrawl. and make sure to post anything I see not listed. In the meantime, I've got the list compiled from hear, and are ready to do some shopping!

wgriel likes this.
  24. Macman007

Macman007 Sitting mId-way between 2 very large speakers

Will miracles never cease? I was out hitting one of my favorite local vinyl and golden age audio gear shops. They buy albums and cassette tapes, anywhere from one of, to entire collections. The owner then culls the best for himself. The rest are sold in the store. Leftover cream goes online. Gems, rarities, coveted pressings all are placed on a continually updated list on the wall. The buyer has to ask someone to see each of them. They aren't kept in circulation. You can only hold one at a time, then return it to see another. Yea, it could be a PITA, but it's well orchestrated, organized. This keeping thieves and undesirables like those who like to put an exceptional pressing in a non-exceptionally priced jacket and sleeve. Each LP is vetted from the album cover to label and deadwax info. The cream of the crop are offered for sale online at reasonable prices. Since I do all their audio repair and restoration work for the more popular primo units, I get discounts on gear, vinyl and tapes. This is a bad combination, akin to giving an alcoholic the keys to the Wine Cellar, or a addict the keys to the pharmacy. In other words, unless Mrs Macman keeps a close check on my, I can do some serious damage to what we get paid for restoration and repair work. The last time I came out of there with gear and albums, owing more than I got paid, well let's just say this. I had 911 on speed dial, because I was pretty sure she was going to shoot me after she found out. A too long story short, it was a 4 digit shopping trip, I was only owed 3 figures....

So anyway, I'm in there today, and the girl behind the counter tells me they just got new stuff in, not priced or graded, would I like to take a look. I was there to pick something up for repair. So yea, and I did. within 30 seconds I had pulled 3 Orange Capitol US Beatles albums. Meet the Beatles, The Beatles Second Album, and Yesterday and Today. ALL 3 ARE WALLY (WLY) pressings! There are more. I had the entire selection of Beatles Orange Capitol Wally pressings pulled from that consignment and put on Layaway. As a tease, to keep things mellow, I brought home Yesterday and Today. Right now, I'm in Beatles Vinyl Heaven! The tracks on Y&T sound better than those same songs featured on Help!, Rubber Soul, and Revolver from the Stereo Vinyl Box set I have. I also have the Stereo CD box set, and Mono CD Box but not The Mono box on vinyl,.. yet. shhh...

This press sounds as good and better than my Purple Papitols. I looked up this thread , and all of the Beatles Wally's are in the rest of of this collection I have on hold. That's the best part. No shopping around, shipping, and high prices. Advertised prices on Discogs are 20$ for this pressing. I got this one plus a nice Joe Walsh- The Smoker You Drink, which I'll decode later.

The previous owner of the collection was the original, and these were all purchased in real time. Meaning his age must be between 60 and 70, with solid collection of Lp's that check out dating by matrix from 1969 till 1995. He kept them in order, meticulous condition, no noise or wear. I'm cranking Nowhere Man, a of touch sibilance in the sss's of the recording, much more listenable than what the sell as new reissue or remaster Beatles.

Yet another verified Wally recording, play tested for your approval. Thanks Wally, You've given me a whole new list of Lp's to blow my kids inheritance on!

DaverJ likes this.
  25. Jack_Straw

Jack_Straw Forum Resident

Do the Bob Seger mastering credits apply to any of the CDs besides 'Greatest Hits'? Or is it just a carry-over from the vinyl pressings?

I just picked up an early CD of 'Stranger In Town', and Wally is listed in the booklet. Haven't listened to it yet, but if it's a Wally & if it sounds anything like the GH disc, I'm going to be very happy.