Is It Still Worth It To See Bob Dylan Live?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Hot Ptah, Feb 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheHumungous

TheHumungous Active Member

I saw him many times between those years and almost every show was outstanding, so I don't know why you're dissing those years. Starting around 1997, he went on a roll of shows for the next decade that were fantastic. Of course anyone like him that tours constantly is going to have some lackluster shows. But by and large, well worth it.

Carserguev likes this.
  2. Hot Ptah

Hot Ptah Forum Resident In Memoriam Thread Starter

I would not go see John Lennon if he had no singing voice, no. I realize that this makes me different from many people. After 45 years of concert going, my adrenaline no longer rushes just to be in a room with a big name.

3. The Trinity

The Trinity Do what thou wilt, so mote be it.

4. Jerryb

Jerryb Senior Member

I would pay to watch Dylan sleep onstage.

5. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

Watch out what you wish for. :targettiphat:

6. The Lizard King

The Lizard King Forum Resident

I saw him for the first time here in Australia in September last year. I really enjoyed it, but he doesn't do many old songs. He does a few, but did 6 from Tempest and I didn't mind because liked Tempest. Some older stuff have different arrangements. I'm sure you would enjoy it.

7. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

If you dig great musicianship and a cracking band---there's no better show.

8. fourfeathers

fourfeathers Forum Resident

If you know what you're getting into, then YES YES YES!!! The show I saw in October was one of the best I've ever seen. His band's talent is nearly unparalleled.

If you want a jukebox set, no.

Mr. E. Tramp and Carserguev like this.
  9. Hot Ptah

Thanks, that is very helpful. Now I am probably going to go. He is in better voice there than at two concerts I attended in the 1990s.

Mr. E. Tramp likes this.
  10. Hot Ptah

I have been to the Music Hall several times. It is a good place to see a concert. It is an older hall, owned by the City, with art deco architecture. The sound is good. I have seen concerts there ranging from the San Francisco Symphony Orchestra, to Pat Metheny Group, to the Broadway touring production of Wicked.

Stan likes this.
  11. RonBaker

RonBaker Forum Resident

I've seen him several times starting around 2000. I've enjoyed every show. Every one has been mostly different. Can't wait to go again. Wish he were playing somewhere close this go round.

12. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

my wife stopped attending with dylan shows with me after 2006. after that i've gone in 09,11,14. have to say i enjoy each one. the last at the academy of music in philadelphia was spellbinding.

13. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

if you want to see the legend live. I'd say yes...

14. Crossfire#3

Crossfire#3 Forum Resident

Hearing his band is a joy in itself and (whatever) his choice of songs will be thought-provoking, so if he's feelin' it, it will be absolutely delightful

kohoutek and MRamble like this.
  15. Steve G

Steve G Senior Member

wow, that was great

Mr. E. Tramp likes this.
  16. IronWaffle

IronWaffle It’s all over now, baby blue

That's a wonderful clip! I love how he handles the melody (even if as the song progresses his enunciation is as free-form as the camera work as the audience member tries to track Dylan after the harmonica break).

As a side note, what an amazing time we live in that I was just able to watch that video on my modest setup and it looks and sounds incredible for something recorded on a handheld phone. Hard to believe there was a time one might have to pay $25+/- for a bootleg CD with lower fidelity.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
    levi likes this.
  17. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

To see a living legend? (Yes)

18. Stan

Stan Forum Resident

^ even more amazing if you saw the security presence or experienced Bob's photo policy!

oh, and to add to my points above:

Legend or not, it's Bob Freakin' Dylan!!

IronWaffle likes this.
  19. HominyRhodes

HominyRhodes Forum Resident

After watching some of the videos (including the one RayS posted) I'm still kicking myself that I didn't go to any of the November shows at the Cadillac Palace. If I would have known he was in such good form that time around, I would've hocked something to get the dough.

If you can, see the man, while you can. I still regret not seeing Elvis and Johnny Cash when I had the chance.

notesfrom, Moth and levi like this.
  20. kohoutek

kohoutek Forum Resident

Seconding Justin Sosa, fourfeathers and crossfire#3 above--the band will always have a good groove, no matter what shape the boss's voice may be in that night, and that, for me, has always been the case. The material is so good and the playing matches it.

21. JRM

JRM Forum Resident

I'm 0-3 for Dylan shows, and after leaving the third one early, decided I was done trying. Now I keep my Dylan-listening strictly to his albums. But all of his albums :)

Stan likes this.
  22. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

He has seemed bored on stage for a long time.

23. hyde park

hyde park Forum Resident

I was at this show in Chicago -- it was a very good --- one of the better shows of his that I saw in recent years. Well worth it.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
  24. Stan

Stan Forum Resident

i also disagree with the 'go see him while you can/he's a legend' argument. Those folks usually leave right after he plays Tangled. The reason you should see him is because:

I'll give you a kick too, if it happens again! three exceptional shows, all served well by several routes of public transportation!

I wasn't dissing those shows, only highlighting the more recent ones,
    and attempting a message for broader public. i've enjoyed all the shows I've gone to, while several have not, and '04-'12 have been some of the most verbal years from critics. many shut up after fall of 2013.

MRamble likes this.
  25. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

The guy has never been a good singer or guitarist, but that isn't his appeal.
    I am not a huge Dylan fan.

If you like his music then I think you should, for two reasons.
    The first being that I doubt he will be doing it much longer, and he is an icon from the rock era of enormous importance.

More importantly, he has always had a reputation for putting on good shows, I can't imagine him being involved in a dud.

Going to see these guys from the rock generation when they are old and gray can be just as important a memory to carry as if you had seen them before they got popular or in their prime.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.