Pioneer's new PLX-1000 Turntable

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by bluelips, Jul 17, 2014.

1. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I think it's DJ ergonomics.

groovelocked likes this.
  2. Maybe an audiophile mod culture will grow up around the PLX-1000. For example, stuffing modeling clay in the base as some people did in the SL-1200, or perhaps putting in self-stick sorbothane sheets. Maybe mods could be devised to improve the wow & flutter spec. With that optical speed measurement mechanism, I'm surprised that the wow & flutter spec isn't as good as or better than the SL-1200.

3. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

That confuses me as well, unless the machining of the parts isn't that accurate.

4. Lymbo

Lymbo Forum Resident

As an owner of several Technics turntables, never did I think I'd say this. But after a few weeks of owning the PLX-1000 I have to say I like the sound of it better than any of my Technics. I'm damned pleased with this turntable. It has officially replaced my modded 1200 as my main deck.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Very interesting. Can you elaborate on what aspects of the PLX-1000 are an improvement over your Technics rigs? I'm especially interested in the differences between the PLX-1000 and the SL-1200MK2.

Also, can you elaborate on what mods your Technics table(s) are outfitted with?

Finally, what carts are you using on both decks?

6. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

You know every thread I see on the PLX-1000 ends up full of bashing with much of the discussion centering on that 0.1% wow and flutter spec as being horrible. Yes, compared to the Technics SL-1200 specs, it may not be so great, but often such critics will turn around and recommend buying tables from Pro-Ject, Music Hall, etc. However, if you look at those tables, they also spec out at 0.1-0.15% W&F!

7. Licorice pizza

Licorice pizza Livin’ On The Fault Line

This table "wows" and "flutters" me everytime I do a needledrop. It really has the WOW factor!!!

8. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

Good one. Have you posted any samples of your needledrops to the needledrop thread? I've been a bit out of the loop on that until recently. I'm curious as to how the PLX-1000 sounds as I'm planning to buy a new turntable in the next few months and I like the idea of not having to spend $2-3k to get decent sound (and a quiet motor as anyone who's read my rants about hummingbird-like Pro-Ject motors can attest!).

9. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

I alos have to admit the idea of a removable headshell appeals to me as well since I have a couple of cartridges around I'd love to put into use with new styli.

10. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Oh yeah, reading spec sheets will tell me all I need to know about audio gear. As if :doh:

druboogie likes this.
  11. Licorice pizza

Nah! I quit justifying my purchase to the naysayers. :shrug:

I enjoy it, it sounds very nice to my ears, and the noise dampening is great so far. I'm more focused now on the Lp buying part. That's really fun!

12. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Hadda boy !

c-eling and Licorice pizza like this.
  13. Lymbo

Lymbo Forum Resident

I can only guess what makes me prefer the sound. My best guess is perhaps the the tonearm is better. Or maybe it's simply just the subjectivity of listening tastes. I'm not saying the PLX is a better TT. I have mad respect for Technics and as I've stated several times in this thread I own 3 Technics tables and have owned a few others over the years.

My current 1200 has a tonearm dampening (fluid) system, Litz tonearm rewire, upgraded rca cables, external power supply and Isonoe footers with Sorbothane Boots that have glass inserts.

I used two carts in my A-B comparison. An AT-150MLX and a Ortofon Quintet Black. Both tables on the same system.

Again, I think it's just my preference in listening taste. The PLX bass is more enjoyable to me. It seems punchier and more defined.

Although I prefer the sound of the PLX, it may not hold up like my Technics. Only a LONG time will tell. My 30+year-old Technics tables still operate flawlessly!

14. TerryB

TerryB Forum Resident

Think you'd be willing to see if the tonearm dampener will fit on the PLX?

15. soundfanz

soundfanz Forum Resident

Nice post. Remember though......................you don't have to justify your opinion to anyone but yourself. :D

It seem to me that Pioneer are on a winner here. And at it's very competitive price, it is just what's needed to bring more potential converts to the fold.

16. warp2600

warp2600 Forum Addict

I concur. :righton:

The Pinhead and Lymbo like this.
  17. Lymbo

Lymbo Forum Resident

I don't see a need to.

The Pinhead likes this.
  18. missan

missan Forum Resident

Lymbo, I´m waiting for Your tones. :)

19. Poison_Flour

Poison_Flour Forum Resident

PhilBiker and The Pinhead like this.
  20. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

Man, there are two of these at my local Guitar Center, about 3 miles away. And they're having an "18 months no interest" deal through March. I'm definitely debating it...

PhilBiker and Licorice pizza like this.
  21. OcdMan

OcdMan Senior Member

I'm real curious if the fluid damper fits too. If you ever get around to it, please let us know.

22. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Get one before they're out of them. 18 month no interest ?! Sweeeet !!

23. Lymbo

Lymbo Forum Resident

Don't you think that would be overkill with the the tonearm being dampened extremely well already? I don't know why anyone would want to do that. I'm going to keep it on my 1200 in my workshop. If I ever get time to screw around with it, I may check and see if it fits.

24. Lymbo

Lymbo Forum Resident

You wouldn't be disappointed. I'm very sure of that. :D

25. Licorice pizza

That's how I got mine. Go for it!