Buying a new Integrated; Audio Research, McIntosh or Pass Labs?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Blair G., Oct 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

I get the impression that a laxative is needed now...

Slick Willie likes this.
  2. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member Thread Starter

Just exploring the options :shrug:

3. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

:whistle:

4. Blair G.

[quote="Erik Tracy, post: 8995762, member: 26659
    For the amount of coin the OP is willing to spend.....take the time needed to make the right/happy decision...:D[/quote]

Bingo

robertawillisjr likes this.
  5. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

Seems you are not in a hurry. So just wait till you find the gear you really feel like owning.Truth is - no matter which Integrated you gonna buy, others + esp. newer up coming moels will still lure ya..lol.
    ATM. i am intrigued by that brand new Class D amp revolution going on check MBL's new 200 watt Corona Line 501 Integrated - a dream come true or not much less classy the new BURMESTER 101 - Might be entry level in the companies line u but to what a standard. Sports excellent Phono + High End headphone options. Real great engineering from pros. They got the new concept down to a T. No more impedance switches at higher Ohms. Real stable and powerful and highly effective... tuned to sound more like a Tube than A/B - 5 to 7 grand I think

6. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member

I would give the ModWright a real shot. I'm listening the the LS-100 pre now and its pretty impressive, particularly the built in phono stage. I have two other ModWright modded components that are also pretty special. This guy knows what he is doing.

Blair G. likes this.
  7. Kkfan

Kkfan Forum Resident

I was told by Pass Labs headquarters that nearly all its dealers are willing to offer home trials by shipping the unit to the prospective buyer. Pass has made sure to deal mainly with dealers offering this service to customers. Pass needs dealers to do this especially because they have so few dealers in North America.

I'm not sure how the payment options would work out. You will have to work that out with the dealer. But there's no harm asking them. Besides, nothing really beats a home trial! :)

8. Blair G.

I intend to.
    The Modwright brand new at full list would still be cheaper than the demo BAT.
    There is a dealer just over the line in Washington State, 30 mins away, but last time I checked he didn't have the integrated.
    Will I get a sense of the Modwright sound by listening to other models in their line?

I may just bring in the Magnum Dynalab too, 30 day trial, all I have to pay is return shipping if it's a no go.

And as Baron Von Talbot mentioned, there are new Class D designs popping up all the time.
    The AR on the original list (before that list ballooned :laugh:) is Class D as is the Rogue Pharoah.
    Having said that, I was less than impressed with the one Class D amp I've hear so far.

In some ways the search is the best part, I'm enjoying the journey right now.

9. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Just buy the Pass. You won't regret it!

Bachtoven and Kkfan like this.
  10. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Buy used separates . . . Like a used car, let someone else take the hit for immediate depreciation.

11. Blair G.

As I continue to listen/learn my original list has pretty much gone by the wayside.
    The Mac is really nice but I've heard others I like better, same with AR.
    Pass Labs just too much money and difficult to get.

Can get a good deal on the Hegel H200 or H300 (would lean toward the H200, not interested in paying extra $$ for the DAC in the H300).
    Will be listening to the Modwright (finally) this weekend.

But am really curious about the Magnum Dynalab MD307.

Anyone have any thoughts on this or the MD309 (which has the same guts but adds meters and a touch screen).
    Only a couple of meaningful reviews out there, both excellent.

12. Blair G.

I'll cut to the chase.......after a journey that lasted much longer than expected this past weekend I took delivery of a new Modwright KWI200.

It spoke to me more than any other amp I heard, so I followed the "if you love it, buy it" rule.
    Really liked the Magnum Dynalab, which I had in home for a week, but despite checking off all the individual boxes (power, cleanliness etc.) it didn't move me enough as a whole.

Also listened to a Bryston 4 power amp (on a system using the same KEF speakers I own), Devialet, Sugden, Rogue, Simaudio. Never did hear the Pass Labs and probably should tried a Hegel but at some point one has to make a decision and this one was easy.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
  13. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

Congrats and enjoy. :)

14. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

I just ordered a Pass Labs INT 150--should be here in a week or so--can hardly wait!

Kkfan likes this.
  15. Kkfan

Kkfan Forum Resident

Wow!

I've been having my sights fixed on this as well.

Please post your impressions here once you've had a chance to get familiazed with it. What speakers will it drive?

16. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

DALI Epicon 2. Oh, don't worry, I'll post my thoughts. I have no doubt that I will love it.

Kkfan likes this.
  17. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

He'll be back.

Kkfan likes this.
  18. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

It arrived today--wow! I'm hearing details that I've never heard before. The speed and transparency are fantastic...and that's right out of the box! No doubt it will continue to improve as it breaks in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Kkfan likes this.
  19. Blair G.

Never did hear the Pass even though it was on my list.
    Beautiful piece!
    Look forward to reading your comments as it breaks in.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.