Albums that are so dated, they're painful to listen to.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Hamhead, May 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Anything labeled 'non-commercial' or 'independent.' Anything older than last weeks release.

2. Cosmic Sounds is still one of my faves today.

3. Jeffczar

Jeffczar Well-Known Member

This is the last time I'm getting involved in one of these threads ! I don't understand the notion that anything recorded before yesterday is now "dated" and should therefore be dismissed and assigned to the trash heap of history. Everything is going to sound dated to someone's ear no matter when it was recorded. I enjoy music from all musical eras, the diversity of styles, production techniques, song and album construction, instrumentation, all make for a diverse collection. I prefer music from the 60s and the prog rock era personally. However, I wouldn't want ALL music to sound like that forever. Sometimes I feel like Miles Davis, sometimes Bob Dylan, hell I'll even flip on a Barry Manilow record once in a while. Music can no more be dated than literature, it's ALL a product of its own era. Things of lasting importance stay alive throughout the passage of time due to their intrinsic value. I guarantee you someone on this thread will think The Beatles, or The Moody Blues are horribly dated while believing that U2 or Nirvana or Pink Floyd somehow isn't. It's an acedemic exercise when dealing with matters of taste and emotion and not verifiable empirical data. If it moves YOU then it's good FOR YOU.

CliffL, Grant, zen and 3 others like this.
  4. Sean

Sean Senior Member

I have a lot of "dated" albums in my collection. But they're not a painful listen.

5. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

That's the worst song ever recorded...

Stallings likes this.
  6. Raunchnroll

You're not being cool here. You're supposed to diss a forty-year song -- then play a five or ten year old one while deluding yourself its not dated.

Jeffczar and Mazzy like this.
  7. Raunchnroll

But not dated. 2525 hasn't arrived yet.

8. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

That's a great album, it's just the song subjects are a little dated. Good music will stay around for ever.

jeffrey walsh likes this.
  9. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

So true, big JB fan here.

10. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

That's the bad eighties synth stuff, people got wrong with some of the other groups, especially UK new wave bands.

11. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

It's not bad, every decade has it's fluff stuff. 80's had lots of great music and most these new bands nowadays are copying the sound.

12. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

Agreed with this band, the only album from XTC that holds up well for me is, Drums & Wires. I saw XTC during this tour here in the states with the Talking Heads 1977 new years eve Beacon Theater NYC.
    Big fan of the early XTC albums but their stuff sounds very dated to me now except D&W.

13. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

I find it a lot more painful listening to albums that aren't dated at all.

Jeffczar and Sean like this.
  14. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

:agree:

15. Jeffczar

McArthurs Park and In The Year 2525 were just mentioned and only proves my point. The very reason I personally still like them IS the fact that they are dated. Hearing those songs can transport you emotionally to the late 60s because of the way they sound. The feeling of the era really jumps out of them because.....They were made 45 years ago, by definition they are dated. This is really more of a perversion of language and a semantic argument more than anything else.

CliffL and Grant like this.
  16. Commander Lucius Emery

Commander Lucius Emery Forum Resident

About 45 years ago we played a record by one of Bob Hope's sidekicks Jerry Colonna (bug eyed, big mustache) "Entertains at your party" Talk about something dreadfully bad..the only thing I remember is "Azusa is the biggest town, It goes from A to Z in the U S A". I shudder to think what it must be like today.

Of course you can't go wrong with picking a CSN album as badly dated. Why should I care about why you almost cut your hair and made a song about it.

17. Jeffczar

Because he's letting his freak flag fly ! Problem?

18. Jeffczar

Miles Davis-Kind Of Blue. I mean it's just so......old. How gosh, I mean how could anyone ever listen to it.

19. erniebert

erniebert Shoe-string audiophile

Anything with those 80s synth drums.

deus62 and This Heat like this.
  20. fluffskul

fluffskul Would rather be at a concert

Living With War ~Neil Young.

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  21. JannL

JannL Forum Resident

Journey - Raised on Radio

22. hiddman

hiddman Forum Resident

23. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

24. Can't see the video anymore but I assume you're referring to Captain Beyond? I still listen to them and don't think they are dated at all.

25. PlushFieldHarpy

PlushFieldHarpy Forum Resident

Arcade Fire - Funeral

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.