Best cd player under $500

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Crazyhorse11, Feb 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crazyhorse11

Crazyhorse11 Hoser Thread Starter

I currently have a JVC XL-MC222 200 disc cd changer which doesn't get much use. I have rather large cd collection (approx 2000 CDs) but actually find that I listen to more vinyl the past few years partly because I find my current player rather cumbersome. I'd like to replace it with a single CD player (no multi cd changers) that is of decent quality. Unfortunately at the time can't spend much more that about 500-600 dollars. Anyone have any suggestions?

2. Wngnt90

Wngnt90 Forum Resident

Marantz CD 6004

3. joeconn4

joeconn4 Forum Resident

I'm also in the market for a new CD player, in this price range maybe just a little higher. Why the Marantz CD6004?

I currently have a Rotel RCD 930AX that I have always liked, but it's starting to mis-read and the local repair shop said they weren't interested in working on it. I would also consider used models of recent vintage if anyone has any strong recommendations.

4. Crazyhorse11

Thanks! Will check this out!

5. Crazyhorse11

Anyone have experience with Music Hall's CDAC 15.3 combination cd player DAC?

hi_watt likes this.
  6. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

I have owned the Marantz 5003 and 5004 and both were nice sounding reliable players.

GoldprintAudio and bhazen like this.
  7. weirdo12

weirdo12 Forum Resident

NAD has always made well reviewed players in that price range.

8. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

If you want a player that way out performs it's price look into the Onkyo C-7030. If you do a search on the forum for "Giant Killer Onkyo CD Player with Wolfson DAC" you'll find lots of comment. When that was posted Amazon was selling it for $139 (currently $165). It's an elegantly designed, solidly built, and fine sounding CD-only player, I'm glad I purchased it. They also have a higher priced model that accepts USB input if that's needed.

iggyd, Daniel Thomas, Todd W. and 4 others like this.
  9. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

Check out the Cambridge 351C. I find it as good as any comparable Marantz and it plays HDCD which Marantz don`t.

10. Crazyhorse11

Thanks Dig! Ordered the Onkyo C-7030 today! Looking forward to it. I really appreciate your comments. I read thru the thread you suggested and it appears to be a winner.

Robert C, gloomrider and Brother_Rael like this.
  11. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

If you're not using the DAC on the CD player are they all about the same? It would seem to me that if they are pushing out a digital signal to the DAC, one CD player would be the same as another.

Halloween Jack likes this.
  12. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I got a used Marantz SA8004 and love it. With the 800x series you get digital inputs as well. I just think it has a terrific sound to it. It took a while for it to grow on me, but its definitely my favorite among the CD players I've owned, and versitile enough that it was able to replace both my existing CD player and DAC.

13. Master_It_Right

Master_It_Right Forum Resident

I'm also thinking about getting a dedicated CD player which I can hook up to a receiver alongside my AT turntable. Is the Marantz CD 6004 still the best option for <$500?

14. Upinsmoke

Upinsmoke Well-Known Member

What about the Oppo BDP-103? $500 Even.

RPhelps, gingerly and Jerry Horne like this.
  15. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

The 6004 is quite good at it's price.

16. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

I have both the Oppo BDP -103 and the Onkyo 7030. You can hardly go wrong with either. I use the Onkyo for CD's. The Oppo for everything else.

17. Waymore

Waymore Forum Resident

I recently acquired a Marantz CD 6005 - which is $499.00 - and have been very pleased.

nolasooner and deus62 like this.
  18. Master_It_Right

Master_It_Right Forum Resident

Will the Oppo BDP-103 do DVD-Audio and SACD? I may go for that since it could also double as a DVD and Blu-ray player.

19. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Yes.

20. Ephi82

Ephi82 Still have two ears working

This is a great piece of gear. Great performance in both video and audio of all types.

It will even network and control the playing of all your music and picture files on your computer. If the router is running up to speed, Up to spec, it will also do it wirelessly

21. Upinsmoke

Upinsmoke Well-Known Member

Also there is a Rega Apollo in the FS on here. I used to have one of those when I played CDs at home and it's a pretty sweet player. $450 asking right now.

somnar likes this.
  22. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

23. Dentdog

Dentdog Forum Resident

I have both the NAD M5 and the M55. Used for $500-600 . Master series sold for $1800 new. No trouble. Full smooth sound.

24. AC4less also had the CA 351c refurb heavily discounted with the full 3 year warranty when I checked a day or so ago too .

Jim T likes this.
  25. Crazyhorse11

I have been VERY happy with my Onkyo C-7030. What a steal for the price too. I cant see how this can be bettered.

bigal00769 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.