Awesome new Randy Bachman / Neil Young song. Why doesn't Neil do this more often?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by thestereofan, Feb 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Ever hear Crazy Horse S/T? Ever hear Scratchy on Rhino Handmade? Danny Whitten was more than a "session player".

And yes I know he is no longer with us.

Mark Snowden and Matthew Tate like this.
  2. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

You forgot "Looking Forward" from 1999.
    Wasn't that great, though.

You're kind of mad about stuff. Relax.

3. thestereofan

thestereofan Senior Member Thread Starter

I'm not mad. Just trying to defend my position. Actually, I'm very happy.

4. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

whats your position?

O Don Piano likes this.
  5. thestereofan

My position is that Neil Young has had a great career but from 1979 until now he has released failure after failure. If he had of put away his ego and put together a read BAND with other musicians and songwriters that he could work with, he probably would have been happier, more successful and done a lot more great music than he has. The same for Paul McCartney who has never worked with a real collaborative band after the Beatles, just a bunch of hired hands.

6. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

where do you get neil young is unhappy?

Zeki likes this.
  7. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

Not sure where this comes from but all of Paul's recent albums have charted quite well. He's making the best music of his life in fact.

"Hurt his career" LOL

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
    Zeki likes this.
  8. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

I don't agree at all with you but, that aside, Crazy Horse is a cohesive unit of musicians that form Neil's "frequent" band. The fact that Neil often flits about, playing with others, actually flies in the face of the thread title! Neil collaborates with others all the time.

Collaboration. As far as being in a unit with multiple songwriters or even vocalists, yeah it is true he doesn't do that now. But that isn't unusual.

I agree that Crazy Horse, since Danny's passing decades ago, needs Neil. Neil may not "need" Crazy Horse...but I, as a fan really enjoy and look forward to that particular unit of musicians. They fit like a glove. They sure aren't just a bunch of hired hands!

Neil and nothing good since 1979: can't argue with taste. I disagree, though.

9. thestereofan

I have almost every Neil Young album and only play Harvest Moon once in awhile and sometimes Trans.

As far as the rest, I bought them and can barely get through any of them more than one time.

Neil has always talked about the fact that he loved being in BS because of the fact that they were a team with an equal partner like Stills but he has refused to repeat that by finding other musicians that write songs so that he can play on them, so by that statement he was happier playing with such a band but never does. You can argue with me that you like his records from 1979 on but you can't argue that he probably would have produced better music by playing with other song writers than hired hands to play his songs only.

10. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Dead on. (And not necessarily a bad thing).

11. I never really thought I'd hear him play after the aneurysm/stroke thing 10 years back. I'm not a collect all fanboy but everything that has come after is gravy. Glad he is still with us and gettin it done.

12. stef1205

stef1205 Forum Resident

Neil Young's solo and his performance on electric guitar really saves this generic and somehow banal blues stinker.

13. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Well, clearly Young may recall, in retrospect, his collaborative days with BS fondly...but not to the point where he wishes to do it again! He wouldn't, I would think (?), have any problem putting a more collaborative band together if he really wanted. So it seems he doesn't want to.

My own favorites of his are the four I mentioned earlier, right smack in the middle of the '70's. Post '79? Greendale. Harvest Moon gets played very rarely. I liked Ragged Glory a lot when it came out, but I haven't played it in over a decade.

I still disagree, strongly, to your terminology of calling Crazy Horse "hired hands". They're his mainstay band. I can't see how you can possibly ignore that they provide a distinctive sound. The only song I like on that one album, forget the name!, is Comin' Home...because it is unmistakably Crazy Horse.

14. thestereofan

I totally agree with you that Crazy Horse is good but they don't write songs and have Neil contribute, that is my point. Neil is a lone wolf and if he decided to get some real songwriters together and make music, he would do better and be happier. I like some of Ragged Glory and saw the Greendale concert, better live than on CD. But I wouldn't go back to see it again. Same with Paul McCartney, he is the best songwriter ever but why not call some other songwriter friends and collaborate with them to be a "beatles style" band where different people bring in songs and work on them. It's a total shame because the McCartney / Elvis Costello songs were great. I don't know why people are arguing this point, it is so obvious to me.

Boris number 9 likes this.
  15. thestereofan

Danny Whitten died 45 years ago.

16. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Where we're way apart in our thinking is about Crazy Horse. I think of it as similar to the E Street Band. They simply aren't hired hands or studio musicians.

I have no real opinion on whether Neil Young is happy or could be happier! If he's not...well, I don't know what to say.

Some folks just don't like to collaborate. Jay Farrar got to the point where he couldn't stand Jeff Tweedy. Since then, Farrar has done a number of collaborations but not on songwriting (other than with the deceased Woody Guthrie's lyrics).

Tweedy did find another partner, Jay Bennett, and put together some fantastic collaborative work. But, full circle, and Tweedy ended up not being able to stand Bennett. I guess Tweedy hasn't abandoned co-writing completely (I think he still might with some folks from Golden Smog/Minus 5?) but, generally speaking, that's not his thing.

So, Neil Young. It doesn't appear to be something he wants to do!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.