Punch Brothers : A Georgeous Record

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mazzy, Feb 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mazzy

Mazzy Sir Mazzy Thread Starter

Just picked out the new Punch Brothers album on Nonesuch. The Phosphorescent Blues. A stunning recorded record produced by T Bone Burnett.

Beautiful long acoustic based tracks with stunning harmonies. Clean quiet flat 2 LPs.

I'm in.

[​IMG]

averica, Blastproof, rob303 and 2 others like this.
  2. Jeff57

Jeff57 Senior Member

Never heard of them but I'll check them out. I wish there were more posts like this on new music & artists.

3. Mazzy

Might want to first check out Another Day Another Time celebrating music from Cohen Bros Inside Llewyn Davis film. A live double album. Really good Punch Bros Gilkiam Wrlch Elvis Costello Milk Carton Kids and Many more. A great record

4. They're not really new. Chris Thile has been playing on the scene for 15-20 years now, and even this grouping is already on its 5th record. (4th if you don't count the EP). In my opinion, they are one of the best things going on in American music right now. They've got originality but without losing connection to tradition, both instrumental and vocal skill, arrangement and original/writing capability, and humor. They've carved out a respected position and a pretty big audience, but I'm a little shocked that they aren't huge. Maybe one too many songs about the joys of "adult beverages?"

Blastproof, tcj, Peter M and 2 others like this.
  5. Mazzy

No they are not new but this record is. MCartney has nothing to do with it.

6. tyler928

tyler928 Forum Resident

What do we know about the mastering?

Also, what is the deal with double albums that aren't in a gatefold jacket (both discs are in a single pocket from what I could tell at the store)? Since this (and the recent Blues Traveler reissues, for example) retails for $40, I would expect a little better packaging. I understand when some cheap $15 album comes that way, but it's a shame that this does as well.

7. ConnieGuitar

ConnieGuitar Here in my balloon...

Though I know this thread is primarily about the new album, I just needed to advise everyone strongly to see them live if you can!! They just rolled through Asheville this past Tuesday - their musicianship is simply jaw-dropping: Rosskolnikov nails it perfectly in his post above.

My fourth time seeing them over the last six years (including that incredible "Another Day Another Time" show in NYC two years ago) and they honestly continue to just get better and better....which is saying quite a bit as they are simply superb to begin with.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
    BurgerKing likes this.
  8. Mazzy

I know nothing about the mastering but when I play the records they sound wonderful.

Unluckystrike and VinylRob like this.
  9. VinylRob

VinylRob Forum Resident

+1

Get this record while you can, as so many beautiful Nonesuch pressings seem to become unoptainium fast!

Mazzy and ConnieGuitar like this.
  10. ginchopolis

ginchopolis Forum Resident

That's an artwork choice. Why put something in a gatefold if it's not designed for one?

Mazzy likes this.
  11. VinylRob

VinylRob Forum Resident

...not much of a good choice, I'm afraid. I love a good gatefold. But still no reason to not buy this title.

12. ConnieGuitar

Glad to hear the raves...an underwhelming-sounding mp3 download came with the purchase of my concert tickets so I may need to splurge on the vinyl because they're certainly worth it. I really hope the Rhiannon Giddens vinyl (which should ship this week) sounds just as good.

? Curious what the "it" is you're referring to - and it certainly is a packaging decision, not artwork? I think tyler928 has a pretty valid question as to why 2 LPs are shoved into a single pocket, especially at that price point.

13. VinylRob

VinylRob Forum Resident

Nonesuch Records has never schlepped us a bad one, that I can recall...

14. ginchopolis

The "it" is the release. And, it's just as much an art choice as a packaging choice. If the design doesn't call for a gatefold, then there's no reason to put it in one. This comes with an insert with lyrics/credits. I'd venture that if they wanted a gatefold sleeve, they'd have used one.

15. ConnieGuitar

Again, ?? The question is why they made the decision they did, not whether they had the right to. They can of course do what they please - and buyers can of course question those decisions when they seem to fly in the face of standard practice.

In my personal experience of working in both book publishing as well as a record company, "artwork" normally refers to the visual elements - what you see - not how the product/materials are contained therein: that's "packaging". YMMV of course but the term "artwork" is rarely used the way you're using it. Packaging can have an artistic component, sure, but it's still packaging - and labelled such.

My personal guess it that it was about $$$ - it obviously costs more to produce a gatefold jacket - but again, it is pretty standard so it's a little surprising. Whatever.

Long and short - buy the album! And see them live!

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
  16. VinylRob

VinylRob Forum Resident

I get "it". Why can't every record have a quad-fold like Paul's Boutique? But it is a choice that is made. Artistic choice? Bulls*t, it's sadly a choice made by some industry suit with an MBA, as it all comes down to numbers.

My caution though; Would you rather have someone decide this musical performance is unviable because it doesn't move the numbers, so let's just not publish it???

Not me!

Why not just be happy with what is good about it?

ConnieGuitar likes this.
  17. Mazzy

Didn't Sandanista originally have three LPS in one sleeve? And London Calling have 2? It has happened a lot.

ginchopolis likes this.
  18. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

I saw Chris many moons ago with Nickel Creek before they were well known. I walked out knowing I had seen something special.

19. ginchopolis

Well, it's certainly cheaper, but my point stands. While I haven't seen the CD, their booklets usually just have lyrics and very few photos. So, while they could have just printed the lyrics in the gatefold, it doesn't seem there were enough art elements to justify one. Why spend the extra manufacturing cost if there's no need to?

20. Rich C

Rich C Forum Resident

Thanks for the recommendation, Mazzy. This sounds exactly like the kind of new music I am interested in hearing.

21. Satrus

Satrus Forum Resident

Same here. They played Galway, Ireland sometime around 2005 or so and I and a friend traveled up there to see them. Chris Thile is a very talented musician.

22. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

Bought the cd, vinyl just so expensive for 46 minutes of music. Hope it hits the second time around.

23. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

Big fan ,awesome musicianship, great band.
    I wasn't aware this was released.
    Thanks

24. VinylRob

VinylRob Forum Resident

I made no reference to the CD package, but no matter.

It is only your assumption that artistic "need" would be the driver for a gatefold. "It", the space has to be paid for to exist , so no huge, lavish keep sake folio... I'm not finding criticism for any concern to value, yet perhaps you have put the cart before the horse, who said the art wasn't there in volume and the space and cost was not deemed available?

Some will find the music that did show up enough, perhaps priceless. I do.

ConnieGuitar likes this.
  25. Mazzy

Nonesuch is a pretty good artist friendly label so the probably could have had a gate gold but everything is billed back to the artist.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.