Anybody using gear 30+ year old that hasn't been restored?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by sberger, Dec 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Plenty of gear from 1990 I'm still using or have access to but thats only 25 years old.

2. Roger C

Roger C Near Kalamazoo Michigan

I have Polk SDA-2's from 1976. They're now in a bedroom system running on a 4 wpc tube amp
    and are sounding great.

3. levi

levi Can't Stand Up For Falling Down In Memoriam

I had my Luxman recapped in early January. Best "upgrade" I've added in years. :cool:

[​IMG]

4. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I had a McIntosh MC2505, which was built from 1967-1977 I believe, and all stock. I thought it sounded great. I had it serviced and they replaced all the caps and such that didn't meet spec, but I didn't feel it sounded any different. Maybe a full restoration that includes the power supply section is key to reap the benefits of restoration, but unless that's a skillset one has themselves it's really expensive. I'm kind of over vintage after that experience.

5. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream Thread Starter

Everything is glued in. The cloth, the drivers, the backs are sealed. Not just a matter of pulling out the grills and unscrewing the drivers. Sounds like you know about early KLH's so I assume you know what I'm speaking about. Back in the day if something went south you sent these back to KLH and they fixed it and sent them back. Perhaps not of Mr. Kloss' smartest design moves but there you have it.

And no, I wasn't looking for validation. Was just curious about who was in the same boat as me. Heck, even our host goes all stock if possible. I'm in the crowd that believes that the automatic reaction to mod/update/refresh all vintage gear is way overdone. And from the looks of the reaction I've gotten from this thread, and others posted on various forums, seems like it's a pretty big group. I have no problem with those that do want to do it. But I've heard enough stuff that's been updated only to lose (at least to my ears) what made it special in the first place to know that if I'm happy with the sound I'm getting I trust my ears. And if in the odd chance(and this has never happened to me yet) something blows up, so be it. I'll either repair, or move on.

6. BilboAlaska

BilboAlaska Forum Resident

Nice thread and lots of great gear.

I am still using in my rec room, my 80's Onix OA21s integrated with the same speakers, Rogers LS3/5a but a newer but old subwoofer, Hsu. Also My shop has the old Dyn A25 speakers. I don't know how old the Castle English made mahogany speakers are, but I think close to the other stuff.

7. druboogie

druboogie Maverick Stacker

I have a Technics SL-1650 that I think was manufactured in 1976. I havent upgraded or replaced any parts, i just relubed the auto mechanisms. Its my main turntable and it works great.

I do dread the day that the DD motor circuit caps decide to quit, would have to find someone capable of repairing these units.

8. Also all my tone arms are SME 3009 - early none improved models, I have three. All three also have SHURE v15 Type III cartridges installed!

9. All three of my turntables may qualify, AR-ES1, Thorens TD125 (original) and SYSTEMDEK II.
    All are running original electronics but the SYSTEMDEK II has replaced suspension springs as the originals were too soft.
    My AR-ES1 plinth has been filled with glued wood to suppress resonance as was its 'T' frame recesses which now have added oak plugs set in epoxy to also help remove resonance from that member.
    For my Thoren TD125 I finally found the little rubber suspension spring mushroom caps for my Thorens - those will be installed this summer.

10. quicksilverbudie

quicksilverbudie quicksilverbudie

TT from the late 70s/80s, Speakers are 20+ years old, Pre-AMP from 1999, VTL amp lasted 20+ years until it blew up! So I have been lucky

sean

11. Analogman

Analogman Well-Known Member

Don't wait!

I recently re-capped my Son's SL-1300 (same deck sans changer functions) which has only one large IC on the board (maybe it was two, I did it last Summer)

Easy board to do, Technics provides plugs to disconnect the leads so there is no de-soldering required to completely remove the board from the deck. Makes it so much easier to work on and clean

You don't want a cap to fail at this point as the IC(s) may prove impossible to source other than from a donor unit

It's very inexpensive parts wise as the count is relatively low. All the values you will need are readily available in the Panasonic "FC" series from Mouser (excellent caps)

That is a good table with a good arm; as it's a servo type control so there is no "quartz lock" circuit to deal with (more ICs) but you still have at least one

Protect it and make sure your nice table doesn't wind up a door stop :shake:

It is also a good time to purchase some SL-1200 MkII isolation "feet" while they are still available and install them (if your "1650" came with the crummy little rubber things about the size of a quarter like what was on my Son's "1300") They had rotted away to nothing and the deck was actually touching it's shelf

That's easy to do as well with a few bits of off the shelf hardware and will look factory

REALLY makes a difference, functionally and aesthetically

Analogman

12. George B.

George B. Well-Known Member

I'm still running a QSC power amp in the studio, circa 1981 and it's still going strong - as is. And I'm pretty sure that a lot of my old 1980s gear in the rack is still functional; like the DBX 166s, Yamaha SPX-1000, etc. My Tascams: 38, 32, 122, and 22-2 got new belts and a lube job but no electronics work needed. So far, so good. But since I shifted over to digital in the '90s , I haven't used most of the old stuff - except tape on the side.

George
    www.GuitarsInSync.com
    Music in the Les Paul and Mary Ford Tradition

13. vinylsolution

vinylsolution Forum Resident

My Advent Model 300 [silver face] is still going strong from 1976...

I think my stack of Adcom gear GFA/GTP/GCD are coming up on their 30th soon too.

14. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

Preamp: early 80s
    Phono stage: late 80s
    Cassette player/recorder: late 80s
    Speakers: Indeterminate, but I guess the 80s

All of the above are in the 30-year-old range and IMO sound great.

15. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

I used to scoff at vintage. I used to say to myself, "who wants that dusty old crap? it's worthless!"

But, having heard some of it over the last year and a half via the other members of the LVAC, I now see it has merit.

However, I still prefer more modern gear...:cool: :D

16. druboogie

Ill look into the recapping! Didnt know it was that easy and available.

I cant use the 1200 feet though. On this unit, the feet use a different thread, and the feet are isolated from the turntable bottom, which means i cant just lay it on the feet like i would like to. But i got a good compromise, i bought audio technica isolation feet to place under the original feet, and its smooth sailin'.

17. Analogman

I couldn't find a picture of the "1650"s feet (before I made the post)
    Does that machine have that two layer deal?
    The bottom cover (what I can see in photos) looks the same as the "1300"
    I had to enlarge the original holes and install rivet nuts but without compressing them
    The stock "1300" footers are held in place with little machine screw posts and tiny nuts
    Worthless, even when they were new, more like a little rubber bumper

Analogman

18. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

My AR 58's and my large Advents have had the woofer surrounds repaired, but nothing else. The crossovers are original and both are 35-40 years old. I probably should replace the Advent crossovers. When my boys inherit them they can do it.

19. druboogie

Actually its 3 layers. Top grey layer, bottom black layer, and the layer in between that suspend the platter and tone arm with springs. The holders for the feet machine screws are too small for 1200 feet. But the original 1650 feet are much like the 1300 feet. Im going to take a look at my 1200 feet to be sure. Im also pretty sure the 1300 is not suspended with springs like the 1650 is.

20. Analogman

It's not, that's why I asked
    I knew that Technics built a few models with spring suspensions
    IF the "1200" footer is tall enough to reach up through the layers you have it will work
    You just use a nice sharp drill to enlarge the hole, it makes for a clean job
    Indistinguishable from factory
    Don't know how large your opening is though, in the bottom most section
    The Technics footer (SL-1200 MkII type) uses a 6mm stud best as I can recall
    Like I said, I did the job last Summer
    I can check later this morning and verify the stud size if you have any interest
    It really does improve the looks of the table, is adjustable and gives things a nice lift

21. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

I have an old Marantz 2230 that I use in the bedroom (with a pair of Atoms) that was never refurbished. Missing a foot and the power button is 'mushy', but all of the lights still work, gyro wheel spins effortlessly and sounds nice and warm.

22. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream Thread Starter

I've added a stock Kenwood KA 5500 integrated to the lineup and it's been really great in pushing a stock pair of KLH 23's, and a recapped pair of KLH 5's. The 5's in particular are quite power hungry and have really come alive with the clean 55 watts that the Kenwood puts out. The 23's sound so fantastic that they will not be undergoing any surgery anytime soon. I did redope them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Tandberg 3003 amp since 1984 ...

[​IMG]

24. RMB77

RMB77 Well-Known Member

My Micro Seiki DDX1000 has performed flawlessly since I bought it in 1980 or '81.

25. I have a pair of the original Advent Loudspeakers in walnut cabinets. According to the date stamped on them they were produced in early 1973. Nothing has been done to them & they sound fantastic

sberger likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.