Can an iPod provide an audiophile experience?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by MusicalHeaven, Mar 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

Did you really think that post through?

Peter Pyle likes this.
  2. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

I reread your post 3 times....still don't get it. A state of mind? And.... It's an mp3, ipod is just a brand of player......what am I missing here?

3. MaccaMachine

MaccaMachine New Member

Can iPods sound good with a nice pair of earphones & lossless files? Yes. Would I prefer a hi-res 24/96 iPod? Yes.

LeeS and JMCIII like this.
  4. JMCIII

JMCIII Music lover first, audiophile second.

Agreed Lee.

LeeS likes this.
  5. fsj

fsj Forum Resident

Hello all,
    I'm new to the forum and enjoying all the threads, particularly the Pink Floyd CD threads. I would like to add my perspective and opinion to this thread with no disrespect to previous posts/posters. At first my Ipod Classic was a clever way to have all my Beatles, Floyd and other music with me in one convenient package. I bought a set of AKG 450s and thought that was a vast improvement over the buds, which I NEVER liked. My Ipod's hard drive crashed and I had it repaired prompting me to research the ins and outs of Itunes. Here I found there are many ways to get the music from the CD to the library for synching. I haven't done Lossless yet. I don't think I have the room for all my music in this format. I'm now using error correction and AAC (?) to import my CD's to the library. I've always wondered how much can be gotten out of MP3 format as I used to LOVE my vinyl and was hard pressed years ago to convert to CD. I still seek out something more from my Ipod but at the moment I've got a pretty good start on what I'm looking for. I'm using Audio Technica ATH-MSR7 headphones, used but not abused, through a FiiO 11 Kilimanjaro amp velcroed to my Ipod through the 30 pin connector. I could probably get a little better sound by importing my CD's as Lossless maybe? Am I missing something? More to the point my Ipod sounds nice to me and the amp and headphones have made quite a difference, but there's more than likely more I can do. I miss my turntable and I've listened to vinyl through some very nice equipment and this Ipod setup is pretty good I must say. I enjoy it but I can probably do better in the way I import the CDs. I'm sure someone here has input (or could direct me to it) on how to get more out of music imported from a CD via Itunes or how to improve on what I already have. Thanks for letting me have a say on the Forum.

6. mrwolk

mrwolk One and a half ears...no waiting!

I am not an audiophile...I enjoy music....whether it's an LP played on my TT...or SACD's played thru my Oppo player..the process is not to expect to hear every single audio nuance...it's the music...the sound, the rhythm, the beat. I have four iPods and I enjoy how I can transport my music from one room to another by just unplugging it from one set of self powered speakers to another set in another room...
    and resume from where I left off. An "audiophile" experience?....probably not.
    Then again it was exciting for me to walk around with a transistor radio in the 60's
    grooving to the Beatles and the Stones etc.....again probably not an "audiophile"
    experience. For a 13 yr old kid...it was bliss. A few yrs later I got one of those portable valise record players...it was a Stereo model...you could detach the speakers to enjoy the Stereo effect...I remember playing my first Stereo album...Elvis Presley!
    Now that was an audiophile experience!...but the cumbersome stereo in a valise...what a shlep!....I am very happy with my IPods and it's delivery system,

JeffMo and gwynne61 like this.
  7. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

Well, that depends on who you're dancing with at the high school dance, just sayin'... ;)

8. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Probably that it's bo***cks! Sid man, away and put some sugar in yer tea!

9. bcaulf

bcaulf Forum Resident

I never thought there was a problem with the audio playback from an iPhone. I use good headphones and AAC audio files. That's it. Sounds good to me.

10. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

More portable external DACs compatible with iPods and iPhones are being developed and released. Oppo just released the HA-2 Portable Headphone Amplifier and DAC. https://www.oppodigital.com/headphone-amplifier-ha-2/

Devices like that give hope to those wanting to get better audio quality out of an iPod or iPhone or Android or laptop or other portable source. The HA-2 looks interesting. I want to try it. It supposedly works with an iPod Classic (doing digital out from the 30-pin connector) even though the iPod Classic is not officially on its list of supported devices. If it works with my iPod Classic I might get it. I'd need to listen to it first to find out if its sound quality is what I'm after. It does give me hope that my iPod may get resurrected. Or I could use the HA-2 with an Android of some sort.

11. fsj

fsj Forum Resident

Exactly. Always loved my music in the best way I could and still do. Audiophile? My first official 33 was the Mamas and the Papas on a very simple record player as well as my Beatles 45s. Audiophile? I'm happy enough to listen to my music via my Ipod and I can take it with me everywhere or kick back and relax with the headphones and zone out. Can I do better? Maybe. Interesting to look at the options and search for new and different ways to listen. I can APPRECIATE the different ways to listen and like having options but vinyl was my first experience and still is my favorite. I just can't get it out at the moment so the Ipod fills the void quite nicely. Top end equipment is nice if you're into that and can afford it and does sound nice, no doubt. I like my music to sound "right". Sometimes I seek the "audio nuance" and I think the setup I have on my Ipod gets that done fairly well so I say yes. Ipod can provide an "audiophile" experience in my opinion. Always room for improvement no matter what format you prefer, but if you're happy enough with the level you're at I think that qualifies.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2015
    gwynne61, GetHappy!! and Brother_Rael like this.
  12. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

I run my I-pod Classic through a fairly high end DAC in system number three with quite good results and easy music access.
    Many friends have been shocked by the sound quality of this MP3 sourced system, me too.

fsj likes this.
  13. psychtrailmix

psychtrailmix Forum Resident

I think you can.... I use the Apple lossless format to rip my stuff to it - ALAC.... nice pair of Sennheisers, sounds damn good to me. Sure beats the hell out of when I had my last ipod before this one - cheap 20 dollar headphones and the music ripped to it as low bit rate mp3's!

fsj likes this.
  14. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Sid Hartha beith ironic, methinks. There be plenty of sugar in his tea.

Brother_Rael likes this.
  15. CARPEYOLO

CARPEYOLO Forum Resident

My two main listening sources are vinyl and my ipad hooked up via USB cable to my Arcam irDAC running spotify at 320kbps. Does the ipad sound as good as the vinyl? No. But it does sound close to CD quality and very pleasant to my ears and the convenience to sq factor is staggering.

I often receive compliments from people that listen to this relatively simple setup. Maybe it's not a true "audiophile experience" but it is a helluva music experience.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
    Brother_Rael and fsj like this.
  16. gloomrider

gloomrider Well-Known Member

I'm interested in the HA-2 as well. Looking at the details on Oppo's web page, it has the "Made for iDevice" logo, which means that it will work with both 30 pin devices and Lightning devices as well.

17. ROLO46

ROLO46 Forum Resident

My IPod classic lossless files sound excellent
    I use a Superlux HA-3 cans amp with it, this will drive 3 pairs of HD 800 to Concord levels

Brother_Rael likes this.
  18. Diver110

Diver110 Forum Resident

Though at that point, wouldn't it make as much sense to go right from your notebook computer (assuming you have one, and most do)?

19. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

First off, welcome to this great forum. You will learn a ton as you browse the various threads and you better have your wallet handy too!

This is the most important thing to remember at all times. You will hear fierce and sometimes vicious debates over digital vs analog, hi res vs cd, lossy vs lossless, Beatles Mono vs Stereo, PF originals vs remasters, etc. Use your ears to guide you and enjoy the music.

20. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Is the -so called- audio experience not about enjoying music ? The format or cost really has nothing to do with it.

21. fsj

fsj Forum Resident

I like the debates, but I don't participate as it's not for me. I can't do it. I do like to see both sides of the coins and see how passionate people are about this or that. a lot to be learned by viewing AND appreciating both sides. I tend to keep my opinions neutral and be respectful of others point of view. Thanks for the welcome, jeffmo789.

22. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Yup, I started off the some way, but sometimes you read things that are so off the wall or at least against what you've learned that you just need to respond.
    Welcome aboard. :righton:

23. fsj

fsj Forum Resident

I understand. That just might be the case if the situation arises! Thanks for the welcome!

24. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

You'll be fine then! I never answered your question though. I use my iPod/iPhone mostly in the car and at the gym for working out. So for me, 320 kbps AAC format is more than fine for SQ and the files I've bought at the iTunes store (256 kbps) don't sound noticeably different to me.

You might consider making a playlist with one of your favorite songs (that you know inside and out), that has decent mastering, and rip it at 256, 320, and ALAC (apple's version of lossless). Then give a critical listen to those files using your headphones and amp and see if you can notice a difference.

I've made the mistake of responding when angry, and find that if I ignore and come back later I often don't even care to reply!

Tim 2 likes this.
  25. CARPEYOLO

CARPEYOLO Forum Resident

That depends on the person. The audiophile experience is like going wine tasting and describing nuance in often times specific, flowery terms.

The music experience is like cracking open a beer and letting your mind wander.

Of course the two aren't mutually exclusive (certainly not if you're reading this board), but finding the balance that makes you the happiest is what is most important.

Tim 2 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.