Whitesnake "The Purple Album"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Curveboy, Feb 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lenny nero

lenny nero down by the ruined bridge

Me too, huge Aldridge and Whitesnake fan.

2. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

Right on! :righton:

Shak Cohen and artfromtex like this.
  3. dpv2008

dpv2008 Forum Resident

I am waiting for this song too.

Shak Cohen likes this.
  4. ky658

ky658 Senior Member

I may actually have to pick this up when it comes out, looking forward to the new version of "Lady Luck!"

Shak Cohen likes this.
  5. Super_Slick

Super_Slick Forum Resident

Oh dear.

I hope this doesn't mean that he will embarrass himself further and attempt live performances of these songs. On the last Whitesnake tour he could barely sing, relying on audience participation to cover his poor vocals.

I think I'll stick with my 70s Purple originals thanks.

jon9091 likes this.
  6. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

I know, I know.:( I am saying this in a sympathetic and not critical way cause I love DC, it is a shame what happened to his voice. Around the time of Coverdale/Page it began to sound very raspy and got worse from there. With that said, he did sound damn good on that 2004 Live In The Still Of The Night DVD and also on the Forevermore album so we need to look for the diamonds in the rough. But those 2013 Made In Japan/Made In Britain - Brutal.

All things considered, I do not think that new version of Stormbringer sounds all that bad save for some uneccesary 2 handed tapping from Mr. Beach :)

7. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

I'm looking forward to this. Coverdale unlike literally all of the Mk 2 and Mk 3 band members have re-treaded their past Purple legacies quite a bit. He also isn't going for a carbon copy of the originals either as what would be the point. Deep Purple songs with the Whitesnake sound. Of course the originals are always going to be better. Coverdale and Blackmore talked of doing something together but Coverdale bowed out. I'm sad that Ritchie was thisclose to be making rock music again.

http://classicrock.teamrock.com/new...ple-david-coverdale-ritchie-blackmore-reunion

supernaut, Shak Cohen and Curveboy like this.
  8. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

Well, it's not like they haven't tried it before.

9. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

Mistreated, Lady Luck, Burn, Might Just Take Your Life, Stormbringer, Soldier Of Fortune, I'd say he's had a few stabs at it in the past.;)

Not looking forward to this at all. I just know it will be a listen once and bin, kind of deal. But if Gillan can get away with it, why not? Why is he doing Holy Man? thats Glenn's number. Can't wait for them to massacre Comin' Home.

Regarding the Coverdale/ Blackmore get-together...really? Why wait until Jon Lord's death to discuss it. That was the precise moment in time when it became too bloody late !

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
    dlokazip likes this.
  10. dvcarrick

dvcarrick Forum Resident

Sounds a bit metal to me !!
    The track listing is awesome and I will likely buy it.
    Genuinely would love to see this on tour if I thought DC could deliver them without me cringing.
    I love Whitesnake and DC -- although the last great singing he put down was Starkers In Tokyo - pure magic!!
    If he was to add Blackmore (Doh!), Glenn Hughes, Don Airey and Ian Paice to the live band (and maybe someone behind the speakers that can do justice to these songs lol then that would clinch it ;-)

11. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident Thread Starter

My favorite version of Might Just Take Your Life is off Live at Hammersmith

12. Curveboy

David has surrounded himself with some pretty amazing musicians. Joel Hoekstra is the only unknown (at this point) for me since Doug left last year, but I have no doubt he'll be solid. That said, I love what Reb did with Stormbringer.

13. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Joel is incredible. I saw him in the Broadway production of Rock Of Ages and also with Night Ranger. He played Jeff Watson's solos (including all the 8 finger technique stuff) flawlessly.

dvcarrick likes this.
  14. talkradio

talkradio Faded Primadonna

While it wouldn't change any of the music on the album (which I can't judge and ain't interested in), I think it would make more sense to release this under David Coverdale instead of Whitesnake.

dvcarrick and dbz like this.
  15. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Well yes live obviously but not releasing new studio versions of them. Glenn does it consistently. Gillan did a whole remake album too.

16. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

Too harsh to suggest that one sells and one doesn't?

DC is always about the $$$'s and he knows his "brand" is worth more. Hey, maybe we will get a new Whitesnake wine called Purple Daze/Days.:p. I love DC's sense of irony, though. How many times in his career has he said he is not going to look backwards and only forwards.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
    GodShifter and dvcarrick like this.
  17. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Wow - I had not heard of this release (until now). Thanks for this thread.

I did not play the clip but am very much looking forward to picking up this album. I love hearing old stuff that I already dig redone (whether by the same or different artists) so I have no problem with this at all. Just more versions of the same songs to sink my ears into, sometimes I don't like it, sometimes I like it but not as much as the originals, and other times I like it MORE than the originals. Bring it on.

Shak Cohen likes this.
  18. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I highly recommend listening to the clip provided before buying this. The vocals are god awful.

19. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

OK, since you insist ;)

Hmmm. Through my horribly crappy PC sound system the vocals sound heavily processed in some way (that is not a good thing), but it doesn't really bother me. I dig the heavy arrangement and the guitar dueling. Will reserve full judgement until I get the album and play it back on my stereo. Still looking forward to hearing new versions of these songs. Can understand why some fans would want no part of it but I dig this kind of thing (covers).

20. talkradio

talkradio Faded Primadonna

You propably have a point here...

21. Curveboy

The vocals are fine...David sounds just fine.

Shak Cohen, Purple and artfromtex like this.
  22. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

When did Floyd Pepper from the Muppets join Whitesnake? (at :50 second mark of video)

[​IMG]

jon9091 likes this.
  23. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

It doesn't suck IMO, but it kinda sounds like Alice Cooper fronting a DP tribute band. The vocal tone is just a little too gritty.

24. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

:wtf:
    C'mon dkmonro. You don't need to pull your punches. DC is not participating in this thread ;)

Everyone's entitled to their opinion, of course, but anyone who doesn't find that version of "Stormbringer" borderline unlistenable should have taken a left turn at Albuquerque. You have clearly lost your way. Take a good hard look at your life and try to figure out where it all went wrong :nyah:

Sandinista and GodShifter like this.
  25. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I even found the video to be an embarrassment, but most videos of that type of thing are. I guess if croaky DC is your thing, then this album is for you !!

Aside: Tommy Aldridge is 65 now and still seems to be very good on the drums. At his age, most times you see drummers start to lose it a bit. No signs he has so far.

jon9091 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.