Monkees: Why Headquarters? etc.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sportzfan, Feb 27, 2015.

1. Sportzfan

Sportzfan New Member Thread Starter

Is it known why the 3rd Monkees album is called Headquarters? Also, on that album, do we know why and how the non-Monkee written songs were chosen?

Hep Alien likes this.
  2. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

I could be wrong but I believe Headquarters was the first album where the Monkees asserted themselves as musicians. They got real pissy with Don Kirchner when he released their second album without their having any real input and were feeling the backlash of being a fake band. I think it was a giant compromise from day one though. There isn't a Monkees album that doesn't contain at least a few Brill Building classics and those were the hits, so I'm sure the Monkees had to make concessions. The Monkees discography is a bit of a mess in that regard but I will defend every album up to and including the 'Head' soundtrack.

As for what it was called 'Headquarters', who knows? I think album titles were fairly arbitrary in those days.The title of their next album, 'Pisces, Aquarius, Capricorn & Jones Ltd.' is far trippier...

3. Three of the songs were written by Boyce and Hart who were integral parts of the Monkees' team.
    Douglas Farthing Hatlelid is Chip Douglas, the album's producer. He also sang and played on the album.
    Hank Cicalo was the recording engineer for the album.
    Jack Keller was the Monkees' first producer and had previously written songs for them.
    Mann & Weil are great songwriters.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
    batdude98, Swansong and Hep Alien like this.
  4. MickAvory

MickAvory Forum Resident

In one of the last TV episodes, I think it was Monkees Mind Their Manor, they pop out of shipping crates and are introduced as Pisces, Aquarius, Capricorn & Jones. Maybe the title came from that? Or maybe the line was a subliminal advert for the LP?

Hep Alien and cwitt1980 like this.
  5. Holerbot6000

Chip Douglas produced the Monkees? Was Ernie the engineer? :laugh:

trusso, BryanW, linklinc11 and 6 others like this.
  6. Holerbot6000

Those shows were insane. When I go back and realize that my youth consisted entirely of pounding down sugar frosted cereal and watching shows like 'The Monkees', 'Batman' and 'The Banana Splits', it's no wonder I grew up so weird....

7. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

One of the worst album covers in rock history, it's just stupid

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
  8. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

Listen to the Headquarters sessions box set, it's pretty good. Peter was a really good musician, couldn't have done it without him.

Swansong, 905 and Hep Alien like this.
  9. The other Chip Douglas.

Swansong and linklinc11 like this.
  10. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

I think they liked the word 'Head' , named their movie that word, and they are each a quarter of the band, not very creative or deep but that's my guess

BeatlesBop and Larry Geller like this.
  11. ..and Hank didnt write the song. The Monkees did but gave it to him as a gift.

batdude98, Hep Alien, D-rock and 3 others like this.
  12. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

My question is why allow any other writers on this album that was going to be all them, you share profits among other things having other writers on there. Did they simply not have any songs of their own to fill an album, I find that hard to believe.

13. Holerbot6000

Hey at least you got the joke. That's why I like this place. :)

rockerreds and starduster like this.
  14. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

They should release an album called "Quarters" and the trilogy will be complete.

linklinc11, RobRoyF, CMcGeek and 4 others like this.
  15. That was really nice of them!

Or were The Monkees embarrassed about having written such a Beatlesque song?

Iceman08 likes this.
  16. Don't they have to release Hindquarters first?

Pizza likes this.
  17. Holerbot6000

I think they did that when they got rid of Don Kirshner...o_O

BryanW, Slokes, Scope J and 2 others like this.
  18. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Not too embarrassed for Micky to quip "rock on George for Ringo" in the middle of it (never noticed that til my 7 year old pointed it out this year).

19. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

Mickey was pretty funny

Lewisboogie and Swansong like this.
  20. Well as I'm sure you know they were limited to the amount of originals for each album and they also wanted to reward Hank for his hard work. Evidently the royalties bought Hank a house.

Hep Alien and starduster like this.
  21. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Did not know there was a limit on the number of originals per album. What was it? Seems like that limit must have been relaxed in later years.

22. Holerbot6000

Is the consensus here that Headquarters is their best album? It's a popular choice. Even though it does contain one of my favorite Mike songs (You just may be the One), I still have to vote for Capricorn Jones. I think it's their best album as an actual band and their most consistent from a song perspective.

23. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Pretty sure Capricorn won the poll here and it is my favorite

24. Holerbot6000

Wow. We can actually have a semi-serious discussion about the Monkees here and people know their stuff. I am home!

batdude98, davenav, Hep Alien and 5 others like this.
  25. Sportzfan

Sportzfan New Member Thread Starter

I would say their best album for overall quality of music is PAC&J. I think if we're talking about what album best represents them as a group and their sound, obviously, it's HQ. "More of" goes somewhere in between and is probably #2 on overall quality. I guess I should throw a bone to HEAD, cuz Peter's stuff there is some of the best original Monkees stuff there is.

Swansong, Hep Alien and starduster like this.