Portable DAC for Android

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by 500Homeruns, Feb 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 500Homeruns

500Homeruns Peaceful Punk Thread Starter

I am planning on buying a pair of PSB M4U2 headphones. The headphones have a built in amp (plus Active Noise Cancelling) and I was wondering if anybody had any recommendations for a portable DAC to use when I am on the go with my Android phone (HTC One M8).
    Most of the portable DAC's I have researched are a DAC/Headphone Amp combination. Wouldn't it be better to put more money into having a better DAC than paying for an extra headphone amp I won't really need?

2. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

So definitely buy those headphones - I've owned a pair since Christmas now, and think they're really great for what they are (noise canceling headphones that don't sacrifice sound quality in the process).

Even though it has a built in amp, I don't feel pairing it with another amp gives any "double amped" effect. Using it with the Schiit Fulla and Audioquest Dragonfly were both big improvements.

As the state of DACs and Android is kind of up in the air, with some DACs working with some phones and not others, it's best to use google to find what folks have used with your specific phone.

500Homeruns likes this.
  3. 500Homeruns

Thanks for the info! Maybe I will just buy the headphones and pick up the DAC later.

4. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

The new Oppo HA-2 claims to be android friendly. They even include a OTG USB cable. But you may want to ask them first as they state:

5. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I got a shiny new Nexus 6 with L today, which is supposed to have much better native support for USB OTG. I'll let you know how it works with my various DACs.

500Homeruns likes this.
  6. 500Homeruns

That thing looks great, but I am probably looking at keeping the DAC under $200.

stereoptic likes this.
  7. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I'd check out the Fiio line. They're known to work with your phone.

8. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

'Oo the 'ell are L?!? I'm with 3.

Nothing like phone companies with meaningful names. :D

Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
  9. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

Throw "ee" into that hat.

Cellnet made so much more sense...would be even more sense today.

Brother_Rael likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.