Predicting the Movie Hits and Bombs of 2015

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Dec 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I liked Tower Heist a lot...I did not see Hercules yet. what did you think of the Family Man?

2. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

is that the one where they end up erasing the existence of his two kids? Did not like it at all. I thought Tower Heist was one of the worst movies ever made. But ya know...different strokes for different folks

3. Michael

I guess you watched a different movie? The Family Man was a what if if he had made a different decision and was given a glimpse oft the life he could have had if he didn't leave his love at the airport...

4. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I think Ratner can make decent movies. I don't think he's ever made a great film - or one I'd call really good - but he usually delivers reasonable entertainment.

I thought "Family Man" was pleasant, and I liked his "Hercules" more than I expected - it's a fun action flick for the most part.

Don't remember "Tower Heist" all that well, but IIRC, it had some good moments. I seem to recall being a bit disappointed but I didn't think it was bad...

5. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

The first Rush Hour is entertaining, Family Man was entertaining, those are the only ones I really remember.

6. Scott Wheeler

I guess I did watch a different movie. The one I watched featured two kids that ceased to exist in the end. I remember it being an alternate reality not a "what if."

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
  7. Michael

if you remember the title of the movie you are referring to please let me know....Also if you ever get the chance check out The Family Man...

8. Scott Wheeler

I remember it now. It's called The Family Man. Directed by Bret Ratner.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0218967/synopsis?ref_=ttpl_pl_syn
    "Jack is experiencing a glimpse of an alternate universe in order to learn a lesson."
    Interesting that I would call it an alternate reality and they would call it an alternate universe.
    " Before she moves to Paris, he runs after her at the airport and describes the family they had in the alternate universe in an effort to win back her love"
    The family being the kids that ceased to exist in the end. And again that alternate universe thing.

That's the one I saw and didn't like.

So where can I find the good one with the "what if" plot?

OK enough about Bret Ratner and back on topic....

9. Michael

I guess there is not one for you as most use the same premise as The Family Man...as a matter of fact this one is nearly identical, but is heavy on the religion aspect...

this: WHAT IF...
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1468387/?ref_=nv_sr_2

10. Scott Wheeler

Either way I didn't like it. The kids were the only characters I thought had any redeeming value and either way they were erased from existence.IMO that was a huge problem with what I felt was already a very unoriginal and predictable romantic comedy with a cheap and superficial moral message. Not my cup of tea.

I think we should get back on topic before we are accused of hijacking this thread.

11. Michael

A-OK...

Scott Wheeler likes this.
  12. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

It looks like Chappie is a possible candidate for another kaboom, critics are not being kind at all.

13. progrocker71

Compare critics reviews with the box office receipts for Transformers: Age Of Extinction. 18% on Rotten Tomatoes, over a billion at the box office. I seriously doubt Chappie will benefit much from that (almost zero hype about the film and then there's that TERRIBLE title), but I don't think the general public cares one iota what critics have to say.

mikeyt likes this.
  14. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

Except that Transformers is a known series, with a bunch of fans waiting for the next installment. Chappie's a one-off, and I don't think the campaign's been very good. Initially it wasn't clear at all what the movie was about. Now that they're being direct, it doesn't look that interesting. I'll probably go because, in spite of any other faults, Blomkamp (sp?) always shoots action in unique ways.

John K.

Deuce66 likes this.
  15. progrocker71

I know Transformers is a known series, my point was never base potential box office on critics reviews.

16. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

With the Internet, I think word of mouth is more important that what some critic says.

17. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I'll probably end up watching it at some stage, but the trailer I saw was utterly underwhelming.

18. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Though with Rotten Tomatoes, one could argue critics are more influential than ever. I know plenty of people who won't see anything until they consult RT first...

19. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

mikeyt likes this.
  20. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

Seems Vince Vaughn can't get over his flop streak. Unfinished Business opens less than Delivery Man. I wonder if True Detective can really get his career back on track in a different direction.

heatherly likes this.
  21. Vidiot

Unfinished Business opens today, so it's a little early to say it totally tanked. Surprisingly, some of the reviews I read said it had some laughs here and there and isn't a totally awful film. I suspect the much bigger bomb will be Chappie, which I think they were hoping for much higher numbers, and the reviews so far are pretty terrible. Focus is predicted to really fall down this weekend, so it's way, way low for a Will Smith film.

22. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

I think Unfinished Business fails to cross the $10mil mark by Monday. Chappie is likely to definitely bomb. Puzzling since Blomkamp seemed to show a lot of promise after District 9, but he's seemingly regressed as a storyteller.

23. Vidiot

This link claims that Chappie will hit about $15M over the weekend (very low) and that Unfinished Business will be lucky to do $5M...

http://deadline.com/2015/03/weekend-box-office-chappie-vince-vaughn-unfinished-business-1201385872/

But their estimates have been wrong before, sometimes spectacularly. The crystal ball is often cloudy in Hollywood.

24. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

That's faint praise from where I'm sitting. Seems like I was only one of the few who actually thought that District 9 was crap, so Chappie's failure doesn't come as a surprise. I'm far more excited by Ex Machina, which looks infinitely more interesting.

Maggie likes this.
  25. GlamorProfession

GlamorProfession Forum Resident

count me in with one of the few.

i will probably red box Chappie just out of curiosity.

what about Get Hard? can Will Farrell save what looks like total garbage?

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.