Albums that are so dated, they're painful to listen to.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Hamhead, May 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Nile's sound did have a heavy hip-hop influence around that time. But, I still enjoy listening to it from time to time. And, I think someone made a mistake of releasing "Let's Go Out Tonight" as a single. I would have issued "Plan 9" or "State Your Mind" first.

2. jjjos

jjjos Forum Resident

Not even hip-hop, just the digital instruments and the really thin production. I'd love to hear a remix (or 5.1 mix) of this record.

3. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

Timeless classics, especially III with its folky side.

4. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

I still have this one and still listen to it every October. I didn't notice how "adult" some of the moans, groans, and screams sounded until I read a blog about it.

Agent57 likes this.
  5. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

Excellent point. The only way some albums sound "dated" is because relatively few artists today are capable of making music with that kind of sound and that level of artistic integrity.

6. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

If "to ill" means to nauseate, the album was appropriately titled. Paul's Boutique was a vast improvement.

7. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

Any album with a lot of topical references tied to the time the album was released. To namecheck specific figures on the contemporary scene at the time is an exercise in planned obsolescence. That's why the CD re-releases of the first 4 Lenny Bruce albums include a glossary. Even Bob Dylan did this on some of his early albums with references to JFK, Cassius Clay, Barry Goldwater, etc. Sometimes, however, some of these songs can still have historical significance.

8. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

Taxman Mr. Wilson
    Taxman Mr. Heath

9. edised

edised Forum Resident

They can't sound dated as there are countless bands emulating this particular sound nowadays...

Folknik and mooseman like this.
  10. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I don't want any oldies I listen to to sound like it was done yesterday. I want to be transported back in time. Obviously, I am not a fan of remixing.

Folknik and starduster like this.
  11. Yes, but what if being "transported back in time" meant hearing the music closer to what the artist heard in the studio (that moment in time), as opposed to only hearing the artist via the limited media afforded them?

I say I want to hear Thomas Edison's voice in person and via a wax cylinder. A proper remix can (but not always) bring one that much closer to the time they recorded the music, not just the time they etched it onto vinyl. We can have both.

12. jjjos

jjjos Forum Resident

Well, obviously remixing does not stop you from enjoying the original, so what does it really matter?

EVOLVIST likes this.
  13. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

Production wise you're right about Mistrial, but there's great songs on it and not all the songs suffer from eighties production style. I certainly would not deem it painful listening.

14. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth

anything by Journey.

15. stef1205

stef1205 Forum Resident

Lots of Beatles songs that were released before 1965, at least for me, sound very very dated (Love Me Do, Please Please Me.....)

dino77 and mooseman like this.
  16. stef1205

stef1205 Forum Resident

You should give it a try. It sounds a bit dated, but it's awesome in its own way.

17. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

The fact that over 30 people liked the first post and less than 10 liked yours really says it all doesn't it? Did everybody here just listen to Loverboy, Styx and REO Speedwagon during that deacde?

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
    jeffrey walsh likes this.
  18. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I did play Lou Reed's "Mistrial" a few months back. I honestly don't recall what I thought of it, so I must not have disliked it too much! :)

19. Oatsdad

Maybe it's because they're so ingrained in my psyche as a music fan, but I don't find the early Beatles stuff to "sound old". Of course, the production reflects its era, but when I listen to those songs, I don't feel like I'm listening to "oldies".

For me, the Beatles are unique in that regard. I enjoy pre-Beatles music but it "sounds old" to me. The same goes for some contemporaries - some early Who, Stones and Kinks "sound old" to me, too.

But not Beatles! :shrug:

Rojo likes this.
  20. Linto

Linto Mayor of Simpleton

anything with gated reverb on it
    so a lot of 80s crap

21. Cassiel

Cassiel Sonic Reducer

Those albums aren't painful to listen to because they're dated; they were an equally painful listen back when they came out.

Scott S. and mooseman like this.
  22. Rojo

Rojo Forum Resident

The same goes for me. I only find the "Please Please Me" album dated, in the sense that many of its songs (Baby It's You, A Taste of Honey, Misery, There's a Place, Ask me Whay) sound as if they had been cut many years before those in following albums like Hard Day's Night, For Sale, etc.

Most of the Beatles discography sounds "classic" rather than "dated" to my ears.

A song such as "Light my fire" is great but it really sounds dated in a way that neither "Taxman", "Norwegian Wood" or "Eleanor Rigby" do.

This applies not only to Beatles music -- "Waterloo Sunset" or "Gimme Shelter" also sound "classic" and not "dated" to my ears.

23. Oatsdad

"PPM" has the highest number of "oldies-sounding" songs, but I can't say I agree with all of your picks. Definitely not "There's a Place" - that song's awesome!

24. tedg65

tedg65 Forum Resident

Me too, I got it for my 8th birthday in October 1973 and it still reminds me of the fun of Halloween when I was a kid!

25. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

Can someone help me find the unlike button?

Grant and Folknik like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.