If you were an artist with popular songs, would you let them be used in commercials?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PaulKTF, Feb 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Yup, it's a business too.

2. John54

John54 Senior Member

I would, but it would depend on the song and the product. If I wrote a song that a couple of lines perfectly fit a product I was familiar and happy with, then sure.

3. Vernoona

Vernoona Well-Known Member

you're drawing a very, very long extended bow to assume that artists who don't want to have their songs featured in advertisements don't want to make a living.

I am an 'artist'. I play in a band, we record albums. we don't make music to pay the bills, money is not our motivation. we write and perform because music is beautiful and its a buzz to play/record/perform.

any money we make is a bonus.

that's mine and my band members choice. we also don't want a company advertising their shoes, ipods, haircuts, holiday destinations or shampoo products with our song in the background. how is that "not wanting artists to make a living"?

I have to laugh at the assumption that turning down money is a bad thing. like we're automatically meant to jump at the opportunity to "make more dough". Gene Simmons all over again.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
    JL6161 likes this.
  4. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

And Clapton hired a professional lyricist to write the lyrics (Will Jennings), so yeah - how personal can it be.

JL6161 likes this.
  5. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

I voted no, but let me give a nuanced answer:

it can make deafening economic sense to accept these kind of paydays. They can finance other aspects of your creative endeavours and, sometimes, you need the money!

Hst, I would absolutely hate hearing my work used in a way I hadn't envisaged.

I certainly don't condemn ANYONE who takes the money, though.

6. rednoise

rednoise Senior Member

Yes, of course... although I might consider otherwise if it was a product I really disapproved of, or if the song had a deep personally emotional meaning to me. But in general, sure, bring it on! I know too many starving musicians (one of them being me, for a short while) to wish that on anyone.

7. SirNoseDVoid

SirNoseDVoid Forum Resident

It depends.. can't blame anyone for trying to make a living. Some of it is way over the top though, like the Marley family whoring Bob's image and music to sell energy drinks, luxury shoes, rolling papers or whatever.

8. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

commercial dependent

9. Picca

Picca Forum Resident

Cheese: no. Yves Saint Laurent: yes

10. rudyy

rudyy Active Member

Only if I needed the money to live on.

11. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

Why not? I think "back in the day" there may have been some symbolism to "not selling out" but today I just don't think that holds true. Today it is most certainly an artistic and commercial venture and I have no issue with that.

12. parkmebike

parkmebike I'm in love with a girl...

heck yes!

13. Yannick

Yannick Forum Resident

Yes, a song in a commercial is great promotion if the product is OK. If I'd keep playing the song in question in concert is another question, though ;-)

14. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

Yes, I'd probably do it. My goal would be to make music. You can't make music without money. If a song in a commercial a) kept the general public aware of me and b) paid me so I could pay my bills and continue to make music then I'd do it. Best case scenario: people discover my music and attend shows and buy my albums/songs. Worst case scenario: people ignore me, I still got paid so I could keep a roof over my head and/or continue to make music for the love it.

15. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

No, I would rather compose something specifically for the advertisement.

16. samurai

samurai Step right up! See the glory, of the royal scam.

I marked yes but I would be extremely selective of the ads using my music.

17. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

No I wouldn't (which is one of the reasons I'm such a success... ha).

But really the main problem to me aside from selling your integrity and cool to promote some product is not even that soul-sucking reason. The reason is because your song may become forever linked to that commercial or product.

I still can't hear Carly Simon's Anticipation without thinking about ketchup (I still sing the "so... good" part).

One of the greatest recordings ever... "Good Vibrations"... I can't help but think of a bunch of people running on a beach drinking Sunkist soda.

etc., etc.

To me if you are a singer/songwriter or a musician in a band that is trying to be 'artistic' you should probably avoid this. Then again, you'll probably die broke and unknown. But that's more my speed anyway :)

18. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

Oh and I missed the premise a little... if you were already popular? Why bother? Kind of greedy and pointless. Unless of course you used it for some sort of charity or something.

But then again I can't hear that Sarah McLachlan song without thinking of abused animals. Yikes! I don't want to hear it ever again!

19. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

If those are the strongest associations you have to those songs, then those songs never meant anything to you. That's not the songwriters' fault. I don't think of either of those things when I hear those songs.

20. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

Since we are popular already, then no. However, if we're not popular and having a song in a commercial can give us revenue to help us along, then yes. I'm not opposed to songs in commercials for bands you may not be able to hear elsewhere easily.

21. Darby

Darby Forum Resident

Honestly I would hate to see my favourite artists songs on adverts and whenever I do, I switch over if possible (I'm glad I'm not much of a Blur fan) I think the idea of putting a well crafted song that has meaning and passion put into and then throw onto a car commerical or a insurance advert, makes me sad really. Car commericals aren't so bad because they're usually quite artistic within themselves but if its a supermarket commerical, well lets just say I will run.

If I had popular songs I would do it though because in the long run, who will even remember these popular songs in 100 years... unless they're really really strong and timeless but even songs that are considered that today aren't guaranteed to be timeless even if everyone thinks so today.

Honestly though it depends on my income from these popular songs already and how much money I had in the bank etc.

22. thecdguy

thecdguy Forum Resident

It would have to depend on the product. If my song somehow applied to the product being sold, I might consider doing it. I can't see much sense in having a song play in a commercial if it had nothing at all to do with the product. Or if I was really in desperate need of money.

23. misko

misko Forum Resident

I do understand the argument that a song used in a commercial or TV show has the potential of reaching new fans that otherwise would be unlikely to ever hear said composition, For example , Who music on the CSI opening credits or a brief use in a car ad.

24. hackster

hackster Forum Resident

25. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

I voted yes but only would allow them to be used for medical foundations/fund raising, etc. I guess many would not consider these to be commercials in that a product is not being sold.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.