Anybody ever or intending to listen to a major artist's work in sequential order?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BSC, Feb 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BSC

BSC Forum Resident Thread Starter

I was listening to Miles Davis In A Silent Way tonight (Mofi SACD) and it made me dig out the IASW Complete box set because I was interested in the whole period of that recording.

It reminded me of a time back in the 90's when both my hi-fi habit and record collecting habits were growing.
    And probably in reasonably short sequence I listened to both the complete Pink Floyd and Steely Dan recorded works all one after another. I don't think I've ever done it since with any other artist. I think the Floyd session took 3 nights and the Dan one two.

Made me think has anyone ever listened to the complete Miles Davis output in order or even Dylan's? I know I haven't did the whole sequential thing again despite the fact I really enjoyed it......I got close with Yes about 13 years ago with some online reviews.

Anybody do this as a matter of course? I suspect I might have with people like Nick Drake who's output is quite limited I was more thinking major series of albums....doubtless The Beatles and Zeppelin fans do because it can probably be achieved with reasonable ease but I'm interested in any experience especially the artists who have been producing for decades........

2. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Purposely? Never. I just listen to whatever I listen to.

Tommy SB likes this.
  3. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

I listened to the Beatles songs in sequential order based on the date the songs were first recorded instead of how the songs were sequenced in each of their individual albums. As an example, I listen first to "Strawberry Fieds Forever", "Penny Lane" and "When I'm Sixty-Four" before listening to "Being For The Benefit of Mister Kite".
    I almost did the same to Terry Kath -era CHICAGO (1969-1977) from The Chicago Transit Autority to the last major album with Kath, Chicago XI.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
    Comet01, Peter Pyle and JoeRockhead like this.
  4. BSC

That's actually quite interesting......

AudiophilePhil likes this.
  5. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

I always try to sequence CD recordings from old records in chronological order by year, so I come close on occasion but the event you are referring to maybe comes up once in a decade.

6. Artery1

Artery1 Forum Resident

Call me nuts, but I often do this. Most recently, I really enjoyed the new Waterboys album so played all the other Waterboys and Mike Scott albums in chronological order. I don't mean in one huge session - I still go to work - but over a few days. Other artists I have listened to in order recently include Steely Dan, Leonard Cohen, Al Stewart, Alain Stivell, even Neil Young. I must admit I sometimes just choose an era to listen to in sequence, like Neil Young's seventies recordings for instance..

Zeki likes this.
  7. BSC

It's interesting I got Dylan's The Complete Album Collection Vol 1 Christmas 2013 but I never thought of working through the whole thing......I had just about everything anyway...:)

8. Radio KTmS

Radio KTmS i am a dj, i am what i play

i didn't think i could possibly like bowie more...
    but then i listened to him in sequential order.
    absolutely amazing.
    works well with the velvet underground too.

stef1205 likes this.
  9. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

I did this when I first discovered Porcupine Tree back in the early 2000s. I first heard Voyage 34 and then got each of their CDS and listened to them through In Absentia which was their latest at the time.

BSC likes this.
  10. BSC

I love The Waterboys but haven't done the whole thing probably since about Room To Roam........

11. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Maybe not with those guys' very extensive body of work. But often I've read artist biographies and the like and gone through the material as I'm reading. Lately I've been going through Ornette Coleman's work (which is always in heavy rotation in my house anyway); and though I've been kind of jumping around a bit in time, I've been more or less going chronologically through the Contemporary albums, the Hilcrest live Bley dates, the Atlantic sessions in session order via the Rhino box, the Town Hall concert, this morning I was up through Chappaqua Suite....but I have been jumping around too, leaped ahead from '62 to '69 to give a listen to Crisis, then jumped ahead to '71 to listen to a live Paris boot, but over the weekend I'll get back into the chrono probably too. I've also been reading a couple of books on Arnold Schoenberg and going through his major works in mostly chrono order. I've stepped away from that critical listening, but I'll get back to that too in the coming months. Also a lot of music to take in. But I do that sort of listening a lot.

markp, Zeki and BSC like this.
  12. altaeria

altaeria Forum Resident

I became interested in IRON MAIDEN only a few years ago
    after hearing "The Trooper" as the intro theme song for the METAL EVOLUTION television series.

I checked out a few other songs from the PIECE OF MIND album,
    and then went back to their first album and listened to each album chronologically,
    purchasing/absorbing a new one every month or so.

:edthumbs:

BSC likes this.
  13. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

When In Rome-S/T
    Martin Page-In The House of Stone and Light
    Milla-The Divine Comedy
    :D

14. BSC

Might make you jealous to tell you I saw Iron Maiden as a support band to Judas Priest before their debut album came out........

Andrew Russe, ShawnX and altaeria like this.
  15. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

I do this quite often. Most recently, it was ZZ Top.

BSC likes this.
  16. SOONERFAN

SOONERFAN Forum Resident

Currently listening through the UFO albums chronologically. I have listed to UFO-1, UFO-2 Flying, Live, Phenomenon, and Force It so far.

BSC likes this.
  17. BeardedSteven

BeardedSteven Forum Resident

I do this all the time... Never with an artist with a catalog like Miles Davis. But today I'm working through Sleater-Kinney in chronological order. This will only take me tonight and tomorrow night(preparation for their show). But I've done this a lot where it takes me a few days.

BSC and soumac like this.
  18. utopiarun

utopiarun "on the road to Utopia"

A couple of years ago I listened to a different Elton John album every day on the way home from work in descending order. Loved it and heard songs I haven't played in years.

BSC, music4life and Zeki like this.
  19. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

Done it for Bowie, Beatles, Doors, Queen. Style Council, The Jam, Cream, Police (the latter four using box sets), I think that is all though.

BSC and Zeki like this.
  20. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

I record my records and cd's onto mini-disc and then listen to them while I exercise. Usually listen to 2 or 3 albums each evening as I exercise. I often listen to a lot of artists albums sequentially that way.
    But these are music I am already somewhat familiar with, maybe you mean discovering a new artist's music in that way....

21. Clipper Sylvania

Clipper Sylvania L'écharpe d'abricot

I'm in the process of doing it now with Carly Simon's back catalog. The problem with this is that there's nearly a half-century's worth of work. Per Wikipedia, she's got twenty-four studio albums, one live album, six compilation albums and two Christmas albums---at one per night, it's more than a month, which is nothing to sneeze at.

I'll probably do the same thing with Liz Phair this year as well, and that'll be a lot easier. I'm not sure I've got complete back catalogs on anyone else that I'll still listen to, but I usually enjoy a tour through back catalogs.

Zeki likes this.
  22. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

I've done it with The Beach Boys.

mbrownp1 likes this.
  23. ralph7109

ralph7109 Forum Resident

Where did "You Know My Name" come in....and was I Me Mine the last?

24. belushipower

belushipower Forum Resident

Yep, done it heaps.
    Last time was putting together IKEA shelves. Dave Edmunds, Paul McCartney and Wings (1970~80), Brinsley Schwarz/Nick Lowe, Graham Parker.
    They were quite confusing, those IKEA instructions!

25. Hokeyboy

Hokeyboy Nudnik of Dinobots

When I started reviewing albums for my blog, I basically went in chronological order. Nowadays I go in a completely arbitrary manner, so I don't burn out on a particular time period. I just started with Rush and have reviewed their first, last (20th), and middle (10th and soon 11th) studio albums. Makes it a lot more interesting for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.