Clearaudio cartridge : bent cantilever problem

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Carl Hoffmann, Aug 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

Yeah, MS is supposed to be a good distributor. They probably will take care of you very well. Sorry to hear about Music Direct. I'll make a note of it.

2. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Setting ant-skate has always been an issue with me, on my Technics it pulls right when balanced unless I set it to zero, where it currently is

3. warp2600

warp2600 Forum Addict

I found this thread thru search to see if anyone else has had a bent cantilever on a Clearaudio cartridge. And voila here it is.
    My case is a bit different. The cantilever on my Virtuoso Wood cart was leaning to the right when I unpacked it (came with the Marantz TT15 table). I actually thought it was supposed to be that way because I had never seen another cartridge with such a long protruding cantilever. I installed it and it played alright. Still does. But I keep worrying about my records. Are they suffering irreparable damage?
    I regret not sending it back immeiately. I had ordered the table thru a German online store and I did not want the hassle of sending it back, plus I did not consider it to be a big defect.
    This week I contacted Clearaudio in Germany via email and they said I should contact the distributor in my country to get it examined. I did so, and the local distributor said that he can check the cart but as we can not prove that the defect originates from before purchase, Clearaudio or the distributor can not assume responsibility. I can still contact the online store where I bought the thing but honestly, as 3 months have passed since purchase, there is not much hope for a free replacement.

4. warp2600

warp2600 Forum Addict

To the OP:
    I have read a review of the Marantz TT, which is virtually a Clearaudio Emotion table, and the reviewer said that the magnets that operate antiskating, had been put on the table in the wrong position in the factory resulting in opposite effect. Can it be that your setting of antiskating (close to minimal) was actually close to maximum because your magnets are installed wrongly?

5. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident

They offered you $350 in trade for equipment you bought from them for $2,400??????????????

:realmad::shake::realmad::shake::realmad::shake::realmad::shake:

6. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Very basic question - if the stylus tip is coming down perpendicular to the groove, why would it necessarily matter if the cantilever is not perfectly straight? I can understand if the bend is significant, but if it is slight, I would think that there would be little effect on the sound?

7. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Music Direct has a 30 day warranty no questions asked. If the thing bent after two plays, back it should go. Did Music Direct set up the TT?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.