Best New TT for $1500 (2015)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by chargrove, Feb 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Upinsmoke

Upinsmoke Well-Known Member

I'm talking about the Ortofon 2M Red. What cartridge are you talking about?

2. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

I'm talking about the 2M Red, which is a good cartridge. Sure, it's 'only' $100 but hardly the throwaway you describe. It outclasses many cartridges at 2X or 3X the price.

3. Upinsmoke

Upinsmoke Well-Known Member

Sorry I wasn't sensitive enough for you. How about one of least expensive cartridges .

There is no comparison between the two carts mentioned though. That table should have a better cart on it then the 2m red. A twentieth of the cost of the table though is pretty cheap.

4. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

You are very concerned about price!

The 2M Red is a very worthy cart for the Scout Jr. As I said, I'd take the 2M Red over the Bias or Elys.

5. The 2M Red is a fine cartridge for its price, but the Scout Jr. deserves better. I'd personally put a 2M Black on there without hesitation.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  6. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Aren't price and performance of phono cartridges correlated, generally?

7. raferx

raferx Forum Resident

Not with the Denon DL-103 IMHO...

8. JakeLA

JakeLA Senior Member

The 2M Red is blecch, for the same price you can get a Nagaoka 110, which is smooth as buttah, or for $145 on the 'Bay you can get a Denon DL-110.

9. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Generally though?

10. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

Just curious....but you guys knocking on the 2m Red....have you actually heard it on a Scout JR?

It's actually a pretty nice setup.

Sure the JR can handle a much nicer cart, but that's not really the point in this case.

TVC15 likes this.
  11. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

No. Price and hype, yes. But not performance.

Sure, but that's not the conversation. The issue is if the Red isn't worthy of the Scout Jr. Which is a ridiculous claim, especially since the assertion appears to be related to its $100 price tag.

Realize that Rega gear sells at a massive premium in the US. The Ortofon 2M Red is nearly price equivalent to the Rega Elys 2 in the U.K.

In GBP, the Rega Exact is in-between the 2M Blue and 2M Bronze, for those of you requiring a price point to assess performance (rather than using your own ears).

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
    Robert C likes this.
  12. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

The great news is that it is hard to make a bad choice at the $1,500 price point.

I have had the 2m red, blue and today the black. They all sound great. the improvement for $100 from the red to the blue is much more substantial as far as bang for the buck is concerned.

I loved my project but the build quality is much more flimsy than a VPI. The cue lever on my carbon fiber tone arm broke on the pro-ject within a year. I would take the VPI tone arm on the Scout over the Carbon every time.

13. utahusker

utahusker Senior Member

It depends on what sound you enjoy. I tend to be drawn to the sound of less expensive carts, and I'm running a turntable/tonearm combination that retail over $9000.

I've owned a lot of high $ carts, and keep going back to the old Shures etc.

raferx likes this.
  14. vinylsolution

vinylsolution Forum Resident

Hmmm.... Not sure I follow for certain, but think I did the opposite, I bought the Avid Ingenium based on the idea their lower end table would have the benefit of the technology in their higher end tables. I'm pleased with my purchase.

15. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

Have there been any reviews of the new Scout Jr. tonearm? That yoke style design looks a little weird. Is it an improvement over the tonearm design used on the Traveler? Or is its purpose to be less expensive and easier to deal with than the Traveler tonearm?

16. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

But you still have an Avid.

17. raferx

raferx Forum Resident

That's hard to say to be honest (system synergy, etc.)... but generally, a $500 cart should sound better than a $100 cart.
    The better the tonearm/table the more apparent a cartridge's shortcomings/gifts become realized IME.
    I'd definitely agree that the 2M Blue is a big jump up from the Red for $100.

jh901 likes this.
  18. ccn103

ccn103 Senior Member

Johnny Vinyl likes this.
  19. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

rafer- i always play the table without dust cover, but when idle, i just prefer the look of a nice quality cover. i like to see my turntable even when it isn't playing. it's just right (to me). the newer custom covers are a very high quality, thick material and nearly as clear as glass.

chargrove likes this.
  20. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I think Sota went into bankruptcy and has re-organized ...

21. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

Yes, it is. And the Bronze is the bees knees in MM. I may prefer it to the Black.

Anyway, my opinion is to go with the VPI and 2M Red. But as referx notes, the 2M Blue is probably worth the extra if you can find another $100 in your seat cushions. However, the Red is more than worthy of the Scout Jr. Remember, the Elys is comparably priced back in the UK, so forget jh901's nonsense.

Hell, over on the Linn forums you'll find many LP12 owners running happily with AT95s and the like.

chargrove likes this.
  22. russk

russk Forum Resident

The RP6 is about 270 dollars cheaper in the U.K. and the Exact is about 100 cheaper

23. adog

adog Well-Known Member

How about a RP3 with Dyna 10x5, comes to 1450.00

24. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

Yep. I bought one of their early Comet IIIs. It was a steal for $800.

25. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

Exact is 255 GBP, about $390. In the US it's $595. You are off by the price of an, errr.... 2M Red.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.