Punch Brothers : A Georgeous Record

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mazzy, Feb 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ginchopolis

ginchopolis Forum Resident

I'd take Punch Brothers records in a paper bag. I have no problem with the single pocket - was more confused by those who do!

Peter M likes this.
  2. ConnieGuitar

ConnieGuitar Here in my balloon...

And someone simply asked why a $30 ($40 on Amazon) 2LP album can't have a gatefold jacket so each LP could be nicely housed in its own pocket rather than stacked/squeezed into one when most (no one ever said all!) are packaged that way, especially for the $. Nothing to do with liner notes, "artwork" or for goodness' sake, the quality of the music. Still not sure why you felt the need to make that sound like an unreasonable question.

3. Mazzy

Mazzy Sir Mazzy Thread Starter

Double LPs like this actually have wider designed sleeves. They are not shoving two discs into a single LP sized one.

ConnieGuitar likes this.
  4. ConnieGuitar

ConnieGuitar Here in my balloon...

Fair point, Mazzy - but still doesn't mitigate the original query being dismissed the way it was.

5. Peter M

Peter M Forum Resident

Mine arrived in the mail and then onto to the turntable to hear side one. Fantastic, quiet vinyl.

Like others, I think the Punch Brothers are one of the great bands these days. Incredible musicianship. If they come to your town, see them. You will be very glad you did.

6. Hey, multiple Juleps or chocolate Scotch's every day can get pretty pricy . . .

ConnieGuitar likes this.
  7. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

I believe "We Want Miles" by Miles Davis was also 2 LP's in a single sleeve.

Back on topic, the Punch Brothers are a very talented and unique band.

8. ginchopolis

ginchopolis Forum Resident

Even double albums like Exile On Main Street (and others in a unipak) were technically in a single pocket. And, The Stones jammed postcards in there with the 2 LPs.

9. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

Well, threads like this get me into trouble. I went ahead and ordered Phosphorescent Blues and Another Day Another Time. I love discovering great stuff I've never heard before. Sounds like fun.

10. tcj

tcj Senior Member

I can second this, though I haven't actually seen them in person. Yahoo Screen just broadcast their show from Thursday night live and it was excellent. A band with incredible skills and good personalities, so the show isn't just them playing (the between-song banter is kept to a minimum, but what is there goes a long way to making them seem like genuinely good guys.)

11. Mazzy

Mazzy Sir Mazzy Thread Starter

Watch their performance with Oscar Isaac from the live show Celebrating the Music of Inside Llewyn Davis. You hosed get the Vinyl of THAT show NOW!!!

this is on it too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X672aJ3iytY

12. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

This may be the very first album that I can say that I enjoyed that was produced by T-Bone Burnett. If I wasn't already familiar with the greatness of Chris and the rest of the Punch Brothers, I'd actually blame T-Bone for bringing something great to their table, but they don't need him and he brought nothing that they haven't already accomplished on their own.

With that said, the following cover of Debussy is worth the purchase of this new one on it's own, in my opinion ... Truly beautiful playing!

ConnieGuitar likes this.
  13. Peter M

Peter M Forum Resident

For me, the first three songs are worth the price of the album, and the fourth one surprises with a catchy pop tune with . . . a bass pedal and snare drum.

14. philly67

philly67 Forum Resident

Picked this one up over the weekend when i was in town. Really nice album, i'm still breaking it in, but wow, enjoying it very much!

15. ghostnotes

ghostnotes Wish you were here.

Might want to check out the Best New Album of 2015 So Far thread where we're tracking worthy stuff (and post this as well if you think it's up there).

16. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

Picked this up on vinyl today.
    Love it first time through and the SQ is very good.
    The vinyl is flat and quiet.
    I have no issue with the two records in single jacket.
    It may be their best album.

17. twowwheels

twowwheels Forum Resident

The punch brothers are incredible. Chris Thile is an absolute virtuoso who seemingly dropped onto earth fully formed. He was writing and playing with maturity and sensitivity at 13 years old.

As great as Sara and Sean Watkins are, the punch brothers is the first band where all of the musicians come close to matching Chris's talent (except maybe the O'connor album and the yo yo ma and edgar meyer albums, and the mike marshall albums). Live, you will be left speechless. These guys can all play.

I'm buying this tomorrow. Thanks for the tip.

ConnieGuitar and gkella like this.
  18. Peter M

Peter M Forum Resident

What O'Connor and/or Marshll albums are you referring to? Thanks.

19. twowwheels

O'Connor Thirty Year Retrospective, OMAC Records-5. O'Connor, Thile, Bryan Sutton, Byron House performing songs from O'Connor's career live at Vanderbilt 7/3,4,5/2002. It's a 2 CD set with excellent sound and stunning performances by exceptional musicians, highly recommended.

Marshall Thile, Into the Cauldron, Sugar Hill SUG-CD-3967. (There also exists a live CD from their tour but I couldn't put my hands on it.) It's an excellent album from 2 monster mandolin players with quite different styles. I saw one of their shows. Marshall described what happens when they play together as a mandolin explosion. I was speechless for a while after the show. I have never seen anything like these 2 playing together. There are youtube videos available. Also highly recommended.

20. Peter M

Peter M Forum Resident

Thanks for the information. I will certainly check these out.

21. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

I have been enjoying both Phosphorescent Blues and Another Day Another Time. Another Day Another Time reminds me of Will The Circle Be Unbroken by the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band which is another great album and sounds incredible. I would strongly suggest anyone who like Another Day Another Time check that one out as well. One of my best sounding albums without a doubt.

22. rob303

rob303 Forum Resident

Anybody care to share their deadwax info on this? Their last LP was mastered at Bernie Grundman's and pressed at Pallas and there's a good chance similar or same quality this go 'round.

23. OK, I'll be the one: is the thread title some sort of obscure pun or just a typo?

24. redmetalmoose

redmetalmoose Forum Resident

Just a heads up for everyone.
    Austin City Limits is repeating the Civil Wars/Punch Brothers episode this week(tonight on my local pbs station).
    Recorded around the time of 'Who's Feeling Young's release.I haven't erased it from my dvr since it was first broadcast.
    Can I add :Check your local listings:D

Last edited: Mar 14, 2015
    Geee! likes this.
  25. twowwheels

I picked up this album. It is excellent. The sound quality is very very good. first record is flat and quiet. The second record has a pretty good warp near the edge. Disappointing.

I saw them in Portland this past weekend. Wow, what a spectacular show. They were outstanding as always and it is nice to see a young crowd enjoying their wonderful acoustic music.

I also puled out and played Ahoy a few times this weekend. I hadn't listened to it for a while but I have put it firmly in my demo disc rotation, particularly Moonshiner. While Gabe and Noam switched their typical stage locations, the SQ is wonderful with Noam's banjo drifting high to the left and a bit distant. This is wonderful stuff.

ConnieGuitar likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.